On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 6:00 PM, Stephen Brennan <step...@brennan.io> wrote:
> Hi Gilad,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply, I really appreciate your taking time to help a
> newbie get started. I've made the appropriate changes and re-submitted.

It is completely my pleasure. Thanks,

>> TIP: if you run the scripts/get_maintainers.pl script on your patch it
>> will tell you exactly which
>> list and which people your patch needs to be addressed, so you don't
>> have to guess.
>
> When I ran this tool, it listed out quite a few mailing lists, including
> linux-ker...@vger.kernel.org. Is it correct to simply address your patch to
> the whole list output by the script? I omitted linux-kernel on my
> resubmission, simply to avoid contributing to the heavy volume of that
> list, given how trivial this patch is.

Strange as it may sound, it is the protocol. If you think you cringe
when sending
a trivial patch there wait till you send the 20th revision of a patch
that get_maintainer
says needs to be cross posted to half a dozen mailing lists... :-)

Posting to lkml is more than just informative. There are actually
automated tool that
will pick your patch and run it through a bunch of static analysers
tools and try to compile
it and sometime boot on a dozen different archs.

Besides, lkml is a fire host as it is... :-)

Gilad

--
Gilad Ben-Yossef
Chief Coffee Drinker

"If you take a class in large-scale robotics, can you end up in a
situation where the homework eats your dog?"
 -- Jean-Baptiste Queru