I verified that it is the problem, by watching the BER numbers from czap
go from 0 to 3 digit order when starting playback of anything on the
screen using the nvidia driver.

I have now swapped PC with an older Dell Optiplex with ATI graphichs,
and it is working fine. I didn't manage to get the nv driver to drive my
40 inch Sony HDTV at any higher resolution than 480p ... So that option
was not really an option.

Thanks again for leading me towards an explanation.

Hi. I have a suggestion to possibly help the noise problem.

First, try differene resolutions on your monitor. It should not make a
big difference, but if it does, changing the VGA/DVI cable to DVI/VGA
or to a different of the same type could help out a bit.

If you have a ferrite-ring (sometimes the computer cabinet has one
that all the wires from the front panel leds and buttons goes trough,
like power, reset, hdd and so on), try looping the power cable to the
nvidia kard trough it a couple of times. See this document:
http://www.pearsonelectronics.com/datasheets/technical-literature/Noise%20Suppression%20.pdf

Ferrites are used to reduce high frequency noise, and my guess would
be that exactly that is what is giving the problems.

Using a ferrite on the signal cable from the antenna like in the pdf
document could also possibly improve the quality, although I really
doubt that would help in this case.

If you are close to Oslo, you could drop by Elfa and get one of those
rings. Remember to get one that is big enough for the power cable to
go trough. It is not difficult to disconnect the whires from the plug,
but if it is not nessesary, then why do it?
Homer: "If something is hard to do, it's not worth doing"

-Morgan-