* Jamie Lokier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:

> Media players with lots of optional formats and drivers are another.
> (They also have considerable problems with their Autoconf in my
> experience).

You probably mean their hand-written ./configure script, which is
intentionally incompatible w/ autoconf ("this is not autoconf"
as primary directive" ;-P) ... I guess we've got the same one
in mind ;-)

> Reality is that Kconfig front end to autotools does work - as you've
> proved.  It's a good idea. :-)

Now, we just need an autoconf-alike frontend for Kconfig ;-)

> Most packages need lots of additional libraries installed - and the
> development versions of those libraries, for that matter.  Too often
> the right development version - not too recent, not too old.
> With the wrong versions, there are surprises.

But that's not the problem of autoconf or any other buildsystem,
just bad engineering (often on both sides).

> You said about too many user-selectable options.  Many large packages
> _check_ for many installed libraries.  Get them wrong, and you have
> the same problems of untested combinations.

It even gets worse when they silently enable certain features on
presence/absence of some lib. That's btw one of the reasons why
sysroot is an primary constraint for me, even when building for the
platform+arch.

> Have you felt uncomfortable shipping a package that does use Autoconf,
> Automake and Libtool, knowing that the scripts generated by those
> tools are huge compared with the entire source of your package?

Yeah, that's one of those things in autotools I never understood:
why isn't there just one function for each type of check/action,
which is just called with the right params ?

cu