On Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 11:36:45AM -0800, Tim Bird wrote:
>Gregers Petersen wrote:
>> There was a small talk a few days ago involving a few of the OpenWrt
>> developers and David Woodhouse. One of the topics discussed, was a
>> question about the potential of including LZMA in the kernel.
>> Such an inclusion would be quite benefitial in terms of embedded
>> systems, but the major hurdle seems to be the code quality of LZMA itself.
>> This leads to the question I would like to raise; are there ongoing
>> plans (or considerations) to rewrite and merge LZMA, and has anyone
>> started working on it in practical terms?
>
>Did anyone answer this?  CELF is currently considering funding
>a project to do this (add LZMA support to the kernel), and
>it would be good to get a feel for the current status...
> -- Tim

AFAIK xz will be/is incompatible with this older LZMA, perhaps
larhzu wants to chime in on that.

PS: A previous incarnation of that patch didn't work conventiently
for me, i had to do some small adjustments to the way it was put
into the kernel configury, like
http://repo.or.cz/w/buildroot.git?a=blob_plain;f=toolchain/kernel-headers/lzma/linux-2.6.22.1-002-lzma-vmlinuz.01.patch;hb=HEAD
http://repo.or.cz/w/buildroot.git?a=blob_plain;f=toolchain/kernel-headers/lzma/linux-2.6.22.1-003-lzma-vmlinuz.patch;hb=HEAD