Linux-Hardware Digest #724, Volume #9            Fri, 19 Mar 99 08:15:31 EST

Contents:
  Pentium III Boycott and survey info (Intel no one)
  Re: Where do I buy supported hardware systems? (Tank)
  Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session (Bill Anderson)
  Re: CD music....HELP! (Daniel Bowkley)
  Re: Is Windows for idiots? (Re: X munges the graphics card?) (Henning Strandin)
  Adaptec Ethernet Cards (Nate Bennett)
  Re: How do I install my ZIP drive with Linux RedHat 5.2 (Patrick Finnegan
"@hotmail.com>)
  Re: PPro 200 w/ 256K vs. Celeron 333A (BL)
  3com US Robotics: I can't make a decision! ("omega")
  Re: Thinkpad 760 and Linux (Greg Paswindar)
  Re: optra e+ ("T. Tjioe")
  D-Link DFE-530TX Anybody? ("Minh Doan")
  Re: "Select the application, and then the platform" (westprog)
  Re: Intel740 video display card (me)
  Re: $2500.00 DREAM machine ("Lee Sharp")
  Re: AMD k6 2 350 (Jeff McWilliams)
  SCSI LVD drives and Linux (=?iso-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard?= Gachelin)
  Re: Can't print after Kernel upgrade (Ryan Ho)
  SCSI DAT-drive Problem (Chris Walton)
  video tools of X11 application. (william)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Intel no one)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Pentium III Boycott and survey info
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:46:11 GMT

        Pentium III chip with the individual serial number that can
track your web surfing and buying habits can now have the ID number
turned on and off by software.  Following some links I found the
www.fightdivx.com website and noticed that they have a Intel Boycott
page with links, quotes and info on why you should boycott the
invasion of privacy Pentium III chips. Just like everyone suspected,
the ID number can be taken without a customers knowledge. Just like
cellular phone fraud, once someone has your unique ID number, they
could pose as you on the internet.  Do not be fooled by reports that
this problem is fixed because Intel disabled this feature by software
on their up coming chips.  Information is power. They want to know
your surfing and buying habits. That is what this is all about. Here
is the link to the page with the boycott info and links.

http://www.fightdivx.com/intelboycott.htm
http://www.bigbrotherinside.com/

Also you will find a Boycott Intel screen saver and banner on their
page above. Spread it around.

Take the Pentium III Boycott Survey
http://mail.infotrieve.com/isurvey/index.cfm?vendorid=6045&formid=F0006045

------------------------------

From: Tank <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Where do I buy supported hardware systems?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 08:12:35 GMT

The machines from VA Research (http://www.varesearch.com) are also excellent.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       "The Big Bad Wolf"
                        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: Bill Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session
Date: 19 Mar 1999 08:09:33 GMT

Jeff Szarka wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Mar 1999 23:58:37 +0000, Bill Anderson
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> :
> :hat compiling?
> :one word:
> :RPM
> :
> :Thank you, good night.
>
> On a fresh redhat 5.2 install doing rpm installs resulted in many
> broken dependencies. It's just as annoying as the windows DLL mess.

The you had a bad install, or were trying to install things that
required stuff you simply don't have.

I install on average, 4 Linux boxes a week (m-f), all with redhat. Never
have I encountered problem you describe.

<rant_on>
If you install something woth a tarball, and it requires something you
_simply_don't_have_ it will not function.
A dependency means somehting needs or is needed by a particular thing.
if you are trying to remove a package, and somehting else requires it,
when would you like to know, before or after you remove the required
item?

IN MSland, when you delete a dll, and somehting requires it, what is to
stop you? if it is in use, MS won't let you remove it. if not, goodbye,
it's gone. Your app that required that dll is now dead. For example, if
you have LyX, you have xforms. LyX requires Xforms, whether you use a
tarball/rpm/dpkg/whatever. If you try to remove the xforms rpm, it will
tell you no, you need it for LyX. then, if you *wan't* to, you can break
LyX and remove it with --nodeps or --force. In Mickeysoft land, you are
on your own, and probably would have broken LyX, then tried to run it
later and it would fail. Then you would sitting there scratching your
head wonder what broke it.

On installs, when you try to install LyX, if you don't have XForms, it
will say no, install XForms first. Why is this bad?? If you (could)
install lyx w/o xforms, it won't work. Then you would be bitching about
how something should have told you that you needed something else. To
make a mess of your dependencies requires deliberate, conscious action
through the use of --force and --nodeps.
<rant_off>

Bill

------------------------------

From: Daniel Bowkley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: CD music....HELP!
Date: 19 Mar 1999 08:02:40 GMT

hello,

Something I often foget when building new systems...make sure that the
audio cable from the cdrom drive to the sound card is present /
connected.  It's stupid, yes, and very obvious, but likely your problem.

Dan

------------------------------

From: Henning Strandin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Is Windows for idiots? (Re: X munges the graphics card?)
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:46:08 GMT

Ed Falis wrote:

>  <1104_921461409@DZOG-CHEN> <7cireg$f3s$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> On 15 Mar 1999 11:37:52 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Joseph T. Adams) wrote:
>
> > I hope you're not trying to say that you're using Intel PCs (never
> > mind Windows) in safety-critical applications?  They are not designed
> > for such use.
> >
> > Joe
>
> Our products are the development systems for such applications.  So far, I haven't
>seen a vanilla PC used for a safety-critical application itself, though there are some
> customers getting pretty close with things like PC 104 boards do
>moderate-criticality things.  We do have customers using 32-bit x86 processors in
>custom board
> configurations for high-criticality applications.

Just as a sidenote, there are plenty of minicomputer replacements based
on the ix86 architecture around. For example, Data Generals intel based
MPC twin hot-failover systems (running DGUX) are quite reliable. Of
course they're not really in the PC price range, but they're Pentium
based nonetheless. I have yet to see for myself a succesful "NT cluster"
though (I'm sure there are some by now, I just haven't seen one. I know
that they had plenty of problems with those initially).

--
"The world will little note nor long remember what we say here"
- A. Lincoln

Henning Strandin ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nate Bennett)
Subject: Adaptec Ethernet Cards
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:52:05 GMT

Does anyone know if there is or will be any future support for Adaptec
Mult-port ethernet cards?  If you dont' know what is is I'm talking
about take a look at
http://www.adaptec.com/products/solutions/fastethernet.html

It looks like it would be a very good way to increase one's ethernet
bandwidth or even multi-homing a Linux box w/o having to use several
ethernet cards.

------------------------------

From: Patrick Finnegan <"finnegan5660<DELME>"@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: How do I install my ZIP drive with Linux RedHat 5.2
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:51:17 GMT

Try using the IMM module instead -- with newer drives (especially ZipPlus)
Iomega switched to a different driver software interface.

From: BL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Subject: Re: PPro 200 w/ 256K vs. Celeron 333A
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:52:06 GMT

if you can hack the celeron to SMP and even overclock it, it can BLOW AWAY the
p-pro.

my work system (previous job) was the 512k ppro200 with 256meg edo ram.

my home system is a dual celeron 300a o/c at 450.  the compile time on the
recent kernel (keeping build options the same on both systems) was:

single ppro 200/512k = 8 minutes
dual cel 450/128k    = 2 minutes
single cel 450/128k  = 4 minutes

so the celeron system is about twice as fast as the ppro, doing the same
kernel build.

I was shocked how long the 2.2 kernel took to build on the ppro.  and that
chip alone was about $1k and the mobo was about $600 or so, just 2 yrs ago ;-)

root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: All things other than the CPU being equal, which is faster under a 32 bit
: operating system (Linux):

: Pentium Pro 200 with 256K cache (overclocked to 233Mhz)

: or

: Celeron 333A with 128K cache (overclocked to 375Mhz)

: The PPro is on a SuperMicro P6SAS with 72MB EDO (soon to be 104MB), and the
: Celery is on an Abit BH6 with 160MB of PC100 SDRAM. The BH6 has faster
: memory speed, but I'm not sure if it makes up for the larger cache and 32
: bit optimization of the PPro. My main concern is compile speed.

------------------------------

From: "omega" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 3com US Robotics: I can't make a decision!
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:51:23 GMT

Hi,

I am a new linux user!

Please can you tell me which`` 3com us robotics modem`` do I have to buy:

1-Model 5685-00, Voice Faxmodem (56K, x2, V.90)Pnp:Yes.Jumpers:Yes
Interface:8-bit ISA.

2-Model 5685, Voice Faxmodem (56K, x2, V.90)
PnP: Yes.Jumpers:No.Interface:16-bit ISA.

I need a modem for windows too.

And what do you recommand internal or external?

Many thanks.
omega.t

From: Greg Paswindar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,comp.sys.laptops
Subject: Re: Thinkpad 760 and Linux
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:52:09 GMT

Hi all.
I run RedHat 5.2 (kernel 2.0.36) on my Thinkpad 760XL with Turbo
Tokenring PC Card and PCMCIA modem.
My WM is KDE and all the things are running well. Now, trying to install
Wine to run Lotus Notes from Linux.

The only problem occur is DHCP but I think it most on kernel level,
token ring, and dhcp level.

That's my share to you.

--
best regards,
Greg Paswindar

------------------------------

From: "T. Tjioe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: optra e+
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:52:14 GMT

Todd L. Cohen wrote in message <7c45mi$b7o$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>printer and I'm having a hard time finding one that 1) works well with
>linux and 2) is relativly cheap (under $400 or so)

The E+ is a PCL printer, and should function fine with a generic PCL printer
description, like the HP laserjet //.  I think with any *NIX derivation,
it's better to go with an inexpensive PostScript printer though.

You may want to look at the new Lexmark Optra E310, which has full PS Level
2 emulation, 8ppm, USB and parallel ports as standard. - MSRP is $400.
Street price should be slightly lower. This printer replaces the Ep, which
was essentially the E+ with a special PostScript 2 emulation SIMM inside.  I
know a kid at school that has one of these running under Linux too.  You
might still be able to find the Ep at a good price online.

My Optra RT+ worked perfectly under Caldera, and Irix 5.3 - in the
Postscript emulation mode.

Cya,
-T
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Clarkson University

------------------------------

From: "Minh Doan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: D-Link DFE-530TX Anybody?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:52:18 GMT

Just wondering if anybody who uses the D-Link DFE-530TX 10/100 Fast Ethernet
adapter with RedHat (I have 5.2) could tell me how they set it up?

I can't seem to find it among the network adapters cards available.

From: westprog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: "Select the application, and then the platform"
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:53:12 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Todd Bandrowsky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Very true.
>
> >This presupposes that writing a GUI application with a lot of
> >user-interaction is as easy for *nix as it is for Windows. I doubt whether
> >that is the case. The circumstantial evidence - the look and feel of *nix
> >applications - argues that producing user-oriented software is more
> >difficult on *nix.

> I would say that this is true but for non-obvious reasons.  People tend to
> tout the advantages of Windows IDE's, and, although I do fall in that camp,
> I have found that Unix programmers tend to make up for what we as Windows
> developers percieve as shortcomings by the judicious use of scripts.   In
> terms of raw features, Windows debuggers don't have too much over Unix
> debuggers.  You can actually make something work with GDB, as sick as that
> sounds.

Sun Workshop, Xemacs and Clearcase gives a respectable simulation of a visual
development environment. It is far from seamless though.

> I will say though, that Windows leads for a few reasons:
>
> a.    Lack of Unix documentation on X programming.  Just about every book at
> the store detailing Unix development emphasises the Web or other text based
> programming.  X, is, afterall, something of a Unix afterthought, and not
> really what Unix is all about.  On the other hand, Windows GUI documentation
> and sample code is everywhere, and, much of what everyone needs to know can
> be found in Charles Petzold's quintessential book.
>
> b.    Lack of a standardized widget library.  Like, every X application has
> its own open file dialog.  Yikes.  Windows programmers quit that crap with
> Windows 3.1!   Windows has a set of core widgets that ship with, and it
> seems like X has ten different widget sets, none of which really stacks up
> completely against Windows.  This leads to c.

This is a huge advantage for Windows in several ways. Your 1990 3.1
application can be recompiled in 1999 for Win-32 (with some effort), and it
will automatically get the latest file open dialog. Even without recompiling,
it will look like a Windows 95 application on Windows 95. The user knows to
go to File...Open, and he knows what to do when the dialog appears.

I'm still grappling with the File...Open dialog from Xemacs. It is totally
different from the File...Open dialog for Sun Workshop.

> c.    Lack of a viable component software architecture.  This is a biggy.
>
> Unix does not have a language neutral binary component standard ala Windows
> Active X.  This is partly because CORBA is not nearly as prevalent on Unix
> as COM is on Windows, and is complicated because key pieces of CORBA
> technology are something one has to pay for.  A developer can deploy Active
> X stuff for free.

> For all of its faults, Active X is mature, being many iterations down the
> road from the bad old days of custom control DLL's, and their evil cousin -
> VBX's.  At some point, CORBA may or may not address this, I do not know.
> Java Beans are the only thing that comes close to this, but they are, in my
> humble opion, nothing more than an virtual machinized VBX.

Javabeans are also language specific, even if they are platform independent.
The CORBA I am working with is quite unsuited for small, lightweight, highly
interactive components - it is an excellent solution for communication between
substantial processes running on different platforms.

> d.    Really shitty printer support.  X does not seem to have the same
> concept of device independent drawing surfaces characterized by the infamous
> Windows (and OS/2), DC.  In my limited experience with X, I see nothing like
> the concept of a Windows printer DC or metafiles.  It seems like with X, the
> way to print is still based on generating postscript files.  That could be a
> pretty big hurdle for a developer to cross.

> e.    Font support.  X does not have anything like true type fonts.  I've
> yet to see an X application on my Linux box that does anything that I take
> for granted on Windows.

This is probably for the same reason that CORBA is not equivalent to ActiveX
- X was designed as a cross-platform networked graphics system, not a GUI.

> f.    A cultural bias in the unix community against event driven programming
> in general.  Unix tends to be more of a fire and forget kind of a culture.

This advantage of Windows has been lessened by the use of C/C++ as the main
Windows programming language. That original Petzold C event loop code is very
indigestible stuff, and that is still going on behind a mass of MFC uppercase
macros, with comments like

// #### On pain of death, do not edit this wizard-maintained code

Borland made some minor changes to C++ several years ago which made it
genuinely event driven, but they were forced to take them out. AFAIK, the new
C++ standard continues to avoid the event paradigm, which makes programming
for Windows much harder than it needs to be. Using Delphi (or even the much
messier Visual Basic) is much simpler.

> Well, I would hardly characterize a character mode interface as going back
> to the 70's.  And, certainly, the state of the art for high resolution high
> end graphics happens to be on Unix, not on Windows.  So we should keep our
> mouths shut on that point before Unix advocates mention little computing
> boxes like Cray.

There are two kinds of graphics - graphics that are produced by a program as
output - Unix is the OS of choice here - and graphical interfaces, which we
have discussed above.

> >One of the advantages of *nix is that a Unix programmer put in cryogenic
> >suspension in 1978 could still earn a living in 1999. It is also a
> >disadvantage, depending on how you look at it.
>
> >My old Windows programming
> >books are not much use now - my old Unix books are still valid.
>
> Well, that can be true and not true.  You could probably take Petzold's
> programming Windows 3.1 and get most of the stuff to work with some
> tweaking.  A lot of it is still the same, actually.

Petzold is still very useful in his descriptions of the Windows concepts. I'm
glad I don't have to go to those lengths any more to write a "Hello World"
though.

> On the other hand, my old K&R book has C code that looks like this:
>
> int my_function(a,b)
> char *a;
> int b;
> {
>
>     ;
> }
>
> which, to be honest with you, is a bit easier to document.

And even in 1999 everybody still uses char * for their strings...

J.

From: me <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Intel740 video display card
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:51:35 GMT

XBF (I think!).  Red Hat.

------------------------------

From: "Lee Sharp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: $2500.00 DREAM machine
Date: 19 Mar 1999 08:09:09 GMT

CT wrote in message <7cqsq0$f20$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
|2 weeks ago I built the following box from scratch:

|Tyan Tomcat IV motherboard
|two P233MMX cpu's with fans
|512MB main memory (8x64MB 60ns EDO 72pin SIMMs)
|two IBM Deskstar 12.? GB HDD's (IDE)
|Linksys 10/100 NIC (to talk to the internal network)
|Linksys 10Mbps NIC (to talk to the ADSL modem)
|Seagate TR-5 10/20GB travan tape w/3 tapes (IDE)
|Tower case with AT power supply and two fans

|Total cost: approximately $2600US
|Adjust to taste, your mileage may vary, etc.

   I built this computer for my brother at Christmas.  It run $1200 then, so
it would be cheaper now, by a lot.

Asus P2B with Intel P II 400
128 meg PC100 SDRAM
8.4 gig WD Caviar  <The IBMs are slightly faster, but the price was great>
40x IDE CD-Rom
LS-120 IDE floppy like thing.  <I love these...>
ATI Rage Pro AGP <Works great in XFree 3.3.3.1>
Intel 10/100 NIC
An expensive case which has a slide out backplane with the cards attached.
I didn't skimp anywhere...

            Lee

--
SCSI is *NOT* magic. There are *fundamental technical reasons* why it is
necessary to sacrifice a young goat to your SCSI chain now and then. *

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff McWilliams)
Subject: Re: AMD k6 2 350
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:53:19 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Leonardo Lanzi wrote:
>Hilaire Fernandes wrote:
>
>> Alistair P Furnell wrote:
>>
>> Yes some AMD don't work at all with Radhat 4.2 5.1 5.2.
>> If you have the 'good' AMD chips it may work ;)
>>
>> Don't use AMDK6 if you don't want to have problems. There is many.

I have an AMD K6-300 in an Asus P5A ATX motherboard, 64M PC100 SDRAM, ATI
Xpert98 PCI video card, Symbios 53c815 based Fast SCSI-2 card, Intel
EEPRo10/100 Ethernet card, Fujitsu 6.4M UDMA hard drive.  Everything works
fine.  I started using it with a Debian Linux distribution sporting the 2.0.35
Kernel.  I've since compiled about 10 different versions of the 2.2 Kernel
series, from pr3 through pre7, and now 2.2.3.  No faults, no crashes.

Does your system have adequate cooling ? I'm using an AOpen mid-tower case.
I added a 2nd fan in the front of the case.  I'm using a Vantec heatsink/fan
with heat conductive compound between the CPU and the heatsink.

I know some older AMD K6 CPU's (or was it the K6-2?) had a bug in them that
resulted in Sig 11 errors when compiling stuff.  I bought mine around November
and it has been very solid.  I run Netscape, scan stuff on my Microtek SCSI
scanner, edit them in Gimp, print stuff to my DJ660, all without crashing.

Jeff

--
Jeff McWilliams - Advanced Development Engineer, ACE Technologies

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard?= Gachelin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SCSI LVD drives and Linux
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:53:27 GMT

Hello,

I'm going to buy a Dell Poweredge 2300 with SCSI LVD drives.

Does anybody know if these drives are supported by Linux ?

I can't get any answer from Dell people (in France)

Thanks in advance
* Gerard GACHELIN                   e-mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED] *
* LIRMM (UMR 5506 CNRS/UMII)        MONTPELLIER (FRANCE) *
* WWW LIRMM Home Page               http://www.lirmm.fr/ *

From: Ryan Ho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't print after Kernel upgrade
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:53:41 GMT

Hi Steve,
I had the same problem as you, not being able to use my printer after the
kernel upgrade. I compiled my kernel with all the necessary support for the
printer as modules, but I must have installed modprobe wrongly so these
modules were not loaded on demand. As I had no time to look through each
and every configuration file because my exams are coming, I recompiled my
kernel and disabled module support. Now everything is fine.
I don't know if you have a problem with modprobe, but if you get messages
at boot time indicating that there were some problems with modules, you can
either try to fix the problem, or just compile a monolithic kernel.
Hope this was helpful, I don't know too much cuz I' m a newbie myself.

Ryan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Walton)
Subject: SCSI DAT-drive Problem
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:52:47 GMT

I recently obtained a DAT Drive (Seagate Peregrine) and installed it on
my Adaptec 7880 SCSI controller.    The drive seems to work OK with the
Linux SCSI tape driver (kernel 2.2.1) i.e. it is detected OK and backups
seem to work.

However, one thing that bothers me is that the other devices on the
SCSI chain seem to be locked-out when the DAT drive is in operation.
For example, erasing a DAT tape freezes the SCSI hard-disks until the
erase is complete, ditto for rewinding a tape.   The syslog then shows
'SCSI timeout' messages for the hard-disks.   Is this normal behaviour
for DAT drives under Linux?    Can I do anything to preven this happening?

Chris

= Chris Walton - LFCS Postgraduate - email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] =

From: william <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: video tools of X11 application.
Date: 19 Mar 1999 08:08:00 GMT

Hy !
I would like to have information about a X11 application. I need to set color
incrustation on a video application. I have a capture card and I want to add
text on the screen where the color of the video is the one I decided (like
meteo). If somebody has already work on it, thanks for giving informations.
Will

William CATHERINE linux-worker