Linux-Hardware Digest #724, Volume #12           Fri, 21 Apr 00 19:13:06 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Linux, hard disks, UDMA, and such (was: mp3 problems) (Linux Man)
  Re: printer problems (Andy Smith)
  Re: IDE or SCSI CD-RW? (Alexis Bilodeau)
  Sound: CS4236 (Benjamin R Haskell)
  Problemas de instalacion ("Not Enter")
  Re: IDE or SCSI CD-RW? (JEDIDIAH)
  Re: IRQ Assignment (TeraPico ExaAtto)
  Re: IRQ Assignment (TeraPico ExaAtto)
  New linux "user" ("Klitsuk")
  Advice re Laser Printers Needed ("Dennis J. Tuchler")
  Re: New linux "user" (Simon Lemieux)
  Super computer (Simon Lemieux)
  SCSI ("Swing")
  Re: New linux "user" ("John Hart")
  linux compat PC case (mopi)
  Re: Wireless neworking for Linux and Windows for home use (mopi)
  Compaq  7000 series presarios? (Dave Rasmussen)
  Re: Newbie motherboard question (The Rack)
  Re: Printer, HP DeskJet 930C ("William B. Arnold")
  Re: linux compat (micro) PC case (for Amptron 599LMR) (Edward Lee)
  Re: Any idea how to make a Lexmark1100 work? (Andreas Koch)
  Re: Linux on TI89/92? (Michael Engel)

From: Linux Man <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Linux, hard disks, UDMA, and such (was: mp3 problems)
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 19:07:27 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Mike Pastore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> I am using slack, kernel version 2.2.14. I have an IBM DeskStar UDMA33
> drive running on an old i430HX board, the Tyan Tomcat IV. Upon bootup
> get this error:
>
> Partition check:
>  hda:hda: timeout waiting for DMA
> hda: irq timeout: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
> hda: DMA disabled
> ide0: reset: success
>  hda1 hda2 hda3
>
> I can enable UDMA transfers using 'hdparm -d1 /dev/hda' but when I do
> 'hdparm -Tt /dev/hda' I only get a transfer rate of about 5mb/sec.
I've
> been through the Ultra-DMA mini-HOWTO and tried the things mentioned
in
> the email below, but haven't really come up with any answers.
>
> Would you, or anyone on these newsgruops, have any recommendations?
> Should I update the kernel version? Wait for 2.4? Keep looking for
> updated drivers? Am I just being transfer-rate-greedy? :)

This is a mini-HowTo to get really high transfer rates :

- backup everything;
- Kick your IDE hard-disk big time;
- go to the nearest computer dealer;
- buy SCSI.

do this and you'll never again bother about transfer rates.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: Andy Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: printer problems
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 15:29:32 -0500

Go to www.sourceforge.net and look up the HP720.  They have
drivers for it.  They aren't perfect, but they work.

-
Andy

------------------------------

From: Alexis Bilodeau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IDE or SCSI CD-RW?
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 19:37:59 GMT

Michael O'Reilly wrote:

> This is not a Linux specific question but I do have a dual boot Win95/RH
> 6.1 system. I would like to add a CD-RW drive, and I'm wondering what
> the pros and cons of IDE vs. SCSI drives are. Is there any significant
> adavantage of one over the other?
>
> As described on a related post, I have just installed a SCSI slide
> scanner on my machine. But it was supplied with a cut down card with no
> internal edge connector. So I will probably have to buy a proper SCSI
> card if I opt for a SCSI disk drive, and want to drive both devices from
> one card.

I think that the main difference is how much money you want to invest in
your Cd burner.  IDE drives are a little bit cheaper, and work without
adding an expensive interface card.  SCSI is faster and more reliable,
but you'll have to pay a little more for the burner + the interface
card.

--
Alexis Bilodeau
eMagiK Technologies

From: Benjamin R Haskell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sound: CS4236
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 15:35:18 -0500

I am running a Linux 2.2.14 kernel with OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130 compiled
directly into the kernel, and cannot get my CS4236B audio working
properly.

'cat /dev/sndstat' shows that the driver seems to be loaded correctly:
Installed drivers:
   CS4232, CS4232 MIDI, and MPU-401 (UART)
Card config: (which is the same as it is under Win98)
   CS4232 MIDI @ 0x330 irq 11 drq 0
   CS4232 @ 0x534 irq 5 drq 1,0
Audio devices:
    Crystal audio controller (CS4236) (DUPLEX)
(This is also listed under timers and mixers, but without the 'DUPLEX')

The MIDI and CS4236 show up fine during boot. (They're both listed in
the Sound Initialization stage)

I do not have an irq conflict.

Yet... it still doesn't work. I can't play sounds at all.
neither
cat __.au > /dev/audio
nor
cat __.au > /dev/dsp
produces any sound.

If anyone out there knows why, your help will be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
Ben

------------------------------

From: "Not Enter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,esp.comp.so.linux,esp.comp.so.linux.programacion
Subject: Problemas de instalacion
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 16:05:42 -0700

Trate de instalar el Corel Linux que viene con la PC
Magazine y al instalarlo de fdd me da un problema y al
instalarlo de cdrom me da otro.
Cuando lo booteo del floppy , me dice que instala corel
Linux y abajo me sale Error 0x10
y se repite na y otra vez ese proceso.
Al tratar de bootearlo desde el cdrom, parte todo ok,
pasa esa parte que me dice el error dell floppy pero al
momento de mostrar la pantalla siguiente a la principal
me da problemas graficos.
Pantalla negra y puntos blancos ... (onda windows
volando screensave)
Y ahi se supne que queda. Me pueden hechar una mano..
La tarjeta de video es una Trident 1Mb para (60, 72, 75
y 85 Hz de refresco)
Lo que va saliendo en pantalla primero es:
Una pantalla grafica donde dice Corel Linux co...

Sobre esa misma pantalla grafca mienras va cargando la
instalacion va escribiendo.

Starting Corel Linux...
Detecting hardware ...

De alli viene una pantalla de texto que dice

Starting Graphical Install...
Corel Linux#

de alli viene na pantalla grafica otra vez y es alli
donde no aparece windows volando (una anima en pena
debe ser)
Al presiona Ctrl+Alt+BS   o  ESC vuelve a la pantalla
de texto anterior.
Expulsa el CD y la pantalla queda en negro. Eso es
todo.. Que hago?

--

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤øø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤øø¤
G.O. Not Enter

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 20:02:02 GMT

On Fri, 21 Apr 2000 19:37:59 GMT, Alexis Bilodeau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>Michael O'Reilly wrote:
>>
>> This is not a Linux specific question but I do have a dual boot Win95/RH
>> 6.1 system. I would like to add a CD-RW drive, and I'm wondering what
>> the pros and cons of IDE vs. SCSI drives are. Is there any significant
>> adavantage of one over the other?
>>
>> As described on a related post, I have just installed a SCSI slide
>> scanner on my machine. But it was supplied with a cut down card with no
>> internal edge connector. So I will probably have to buy a proper SCSI
>> card if I opt for a SCSI disk drive, and want to drive both devices from
>> one card.
>
>I think that the main difference is how much money you want to invest in
>your Cd burner.  IDE drives are a little bit cheaper, and work without
>adding an expensive interface card.  SCSI is faster and more reliable,

        SCSI2 cards are down to $30 these days. The cost of the interface
        is simply not a factor anymore. OTOH: prices for SCSI disks are
        somewhat 'dissuasive'.

>but you'll have to pay a little more for the burner + the interface
>card.

        As far as burners go, the price difference between SCSI and IDE
        are relatively negligble (~10%). These days, I think the issue
        of taking up a PCI slot with the SCSI card would be far more of
        an issue than the cost of the interface card or the extra cost of
        a SCSI burner.

[deleta]

        Also, a more interesting problem with SCSI would be other AltOS
        support. While Linux supports a nice range of SCSI cards, BeOS
        support has been rather lacking & Macs have gone IDE.

--

        It is not the advocates of free love and software
        that are the communists here , but rather those that        |||

                                      Need sane PPP docs? Try penguin.lvcm.com.

------------------------------

From: TeraPico ExaAtto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IRQ Assignment
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 20:15:13 GMT

I have tried both but with no luck.

When I set the PnP to yes, my bios won't assign IRQ to my ISA
SoundBlaster 64.  When I set it to no, an IRQ is assigned to my SB64.
However in both cases, IRQ is not assigned to the USB controller.

Any other suggestion?

Thanks.

>TeraPico ExaAtto wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to enable USB support under linux.  However my motherboard
>> does not assign IRQ to the onboard USB controller although i have
>> already enabled the USB Controller in the BIOS setting.
>>
>> When booting the machine, the bios says IRQ=N/A for USB controller but
>> once I get into Win98, the usb controller is assigned an IRQ and
>> everything works fine.
>>
>> However, under linux, other PCI cards are assigned IRQ except the USB.
>> So is there any way that I can assign an IRQ to the USB controller in
>> linux (like what windows 98 does)?
>
>Try setting "plug n play=no" in the bios setting.

TeraPico

From: TeraPico ExaAtto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 20:17:37 GMT

>From the kernel boot log, there is a message says that the USB
controller is either disabled or is not assigned an IRQ.  Then using
the " lspci -t " command, I can see the USB controller.  However when
I use the " cat /proc/interrupts " command, I do not see any irq is
assigned to the USB controller.

I will try the setpci command.  Hope it will hep.

Thanks.

>TeraPico ExaAtto wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to enable USB support under linux.  However my motherboard
>> does not assign IRQ to the onboard USB controller although i have
>> already enabled the USB Controller in the BIOS setting.
>>
>> When booting the machine, the bios says IRQ=N/A for USB controller but
>> once I get into Win98, the usb controller is assigned an IRQ and
>> everything works fine.
>>
>> However, under linux, other PCI cards are assigned IRQ except the USB.
>> So is there any way that I can assign an IRQ to the USB controller in
>> linux (like what windows 98 does)?
>>

>What information do you base your claim on of the IRQ nonassignment?
>
>A setpci call should fix the problem.

TeraPico

From: "Klitsuk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: New linux "user"
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 22:25:30 +0300

I want to get linux
but i don't know which version to get redhat or mendrake
can someone please tell me which one i have to choose and why
thanks
Fred Klitsuk

------------------------------

From: "Dennis J. Tuchler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Advice re Laser Printers Needed
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 20:24:49 GMT

Has anyone used the Lexmark Optra E310 or the Hewlett Packard LaserJet
1100?  I would appreciate any comment on the reliability and quality of
product of either printer.

Thanks for your time

------------------------------

From: Simon Lemieux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New linux "user"
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 20:32:43 GMT

> I want to get linux
> but i don't know which version to get redhat or mendrake
> can someone please tell me which one i have to choose and why

Well, it depends on what you want to do.  If you are a developper I'd strongly
suggest Redhat Linux 6.2...  but anyway, I'd suggest Redhat for anything you
want to do, since Redhat is the biggest distributor, it's free and it's going to
be more and more user friendly!

Thanks,
        Simon Lemieux

------------------------------

From: Simon Lemieux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Super computer
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 20:55:48 GMT

Hi,
        is it possible to have two computers running on the same HD and different RAM,
connected by Ethernet, but commands that are executed are given to the idle CPU?

Thanks,
        Simon Lemieux

------------------------------

From: "Swing" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SCSI
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 23:31:57 +0200

Bonjour,
J'ai acheté sur une foire informatique de matériel d'occasion UN PC ( ICL
ERGOPRO D4/33XG PRODUCT CH9830B100E1 SERIAL 74132HF) avec une interface SCSI
intégrée à la carte mère il y à aussi un disque Dur seagate ST5660N de 518
méga SCSI.
Mon but d'avoir acheté ce PC d'occasion est de le dédié entièrement à LINUX
malheureusement toutes les distributions LINUX que j'ai testées ne
reconnaissent pas le disque dur et demandent d'installé un driver SCSI, un
driver existe t'il pour la carte SCSI (je crois de marque NCR ) intégrée à
ce PC.
Merci.

From: "John Hart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 07:23:38 +091800

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Klitsuk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> I want to get linux but i don't know which version to get redhat or
> mendrake can someone please tell me which one i have to choose and why
> thanks Fred Klitsuk
>
> I like Mandrake 7.02 its user friendly and automounts drives and cd roms. The KDE
>desktop
works well.

John

------------------------------

From: mopi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux compat PC case
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 22:55:27 +0100

Thats it - I'm looking for a linux compatable PC case :) well a
diskless X-terminal case to be honest.

After literally months of browsing I've yet to find a small 14*14*2
inch  (say) case that has 1 external 5.25, one external 3.5 and one
internal 3.5 bay. Bays are not required if used as diskless x terminal
of course.

Add mATX all in one motherboard with on board 82559 lan, cpu and ram
and boot from Linux boot server on network.

While disklessworkstations.com has some nice boot roms for nics it has
no network bootable motherboards or small cases

Surely I can't be the only person looking for small small x terminal
that could if required be converted to small small PC?

tia
Paul

------------------------------

From: mopi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Wireless neworking for Linux and Windows for home use
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 22:55:28 +0100

Like Tech-Rat I use webgear Aviator 2.4 with win98 desktop, linux
desktop and dualboot laptop - linux has standard lan card and the
ISA-pcmcia card provided by webgear. Everything works as expected
including going from win98 laptop via linux to win98 desktop.

I did some speed tests from Linux desktop to Linux laptop using ncftp
- speed in KBYTES/sec (56K modem does about 5k bytes/sec)
Same room 150
Adjacent room 135
Two rooms away 110
Back garden (thru 3 9" cavity block walls) 65
200 feet up street (thru 1 9" cavity block wall) 45  #neighbours
amused by this :)
500 feet up street - no signal

Bascially within single brick/block house it does everything I require

I bought mine from www.outpost.com which at $169 for two pcmcia cards
and two isa-pcmcia holders was expensive - outpost however has very
cheap ($25) international delivery so it worked out well.

You will need Corey Thomas' ray_cs module - there is a link at
www.webgear.com

I did have some problems using RH61 but everything worked fine with
Slackware7 + ray_cs and win98 + webgear software. I have yet to
fingure out how to get samba working across two networks but this is
not a webgear issue.

------------------------------

From: Dave Rasmussen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Compaq  7000 series presarios?
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 17:09:49 -0500

Can you run linux on something like a Presario 7478 with the 8Mb shared
video
or only on machines with dedicated video?

------------------------------

From: The Rack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie motherboard question
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 22:16:46 GMT

Thanks for the answer.

Chad

In article <lvTL4.728$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Nathan Appleton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The performance will vary somewhat depending on what specifc
motherboard you
> choose.  Here is a list of motherboard ratings at Linux Hardware
Database:

From: "William B. Arnold" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Printer, HP DeskJet 930C
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 17:28:57 -0400

Greetings!

I bought the HP DeskJet 932C printer.  Works fairly well under Linux.
Has PCL3 built in.  I checked into this portion before I bought it.  Use
it under Win9X and mostly under Linux.

I currently use the HP DeskJet 550C/560C/6xxC series driver!  Max res
with this driver is 300x300.  I find it suitable for my purposes.  If I
need anything else, I'll just slap on my Win9X machine.

Does B/W, grayscale and color.  I like it and have had fun with it so
far.

Need anymore info, let me know!

Bill...

------------------------------

From: Edward Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux compat (micro) PC case (for Amptron 599LMR)
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 15:25:36 -0700

I was looking for small cases for a long time as well.  I gave up and
built them myself.   I am making 10"x8"x4" plastic boxes with the Amptron
599LMR (Video, Sound, Lan and Modem) micro-ATX and disassembled power
supplies.   The hardest part is drilling the holes for the connectors.
They are not FCC compiled and not UL listed, but they works.  Heat is the
enemy, with the Cryrix temp. at 90oC +.   I am looking to put in mobile
K6s (lower power) and remove the hard drive eventually.  Unfortunately, I
have no idea how to boot it diskless.  The Amptron Lan boot code (from
Novel, I guess) is looking for a server with this message:

0:60:6e:37:2f:c8 > 3:0:2:0:0:0 sap fc ui/C len=87

0053 0001 0008 4003 0000 0000 0010 0008
0006 4009 05ea 0006 400a 0001 000a 4006
0060 6e37 2fc8 0005 4007 fc00 2800 0400
24c0 05

Anyone knows of a program (Linux, Windows, Novel?) to handle this?  I
hate to bring back a Novel server just to boot this thing.

------------------------------

From: Andreas Koch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Any idea how to make a Lexmark1100 work?
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 00:59:31 +0200

Nick schrieb:

> Any idea if it is possible to install a driver for a
> lexmark 1100 under RedHad 6.0?

This is a GUI printer - afaik, they can't even be used unter NT or
Win3.11, and i did not yet hear about linux support for them.

Would love if it works, i have one too ;)

                                                      Andreas

------------------------------

From: Michael Engel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux on TI89/92?
Date: 22 Apr 2000 01:03:22 +0100

: The TI-89 and TI-92[+] are graphing calculators based on M68k processors(the
: M68000). Noting that there is a port of Linux to the M68k line ofprocessors,
: I was wondering if it is possible to get Linux on this one.Protected memory
: may be a problem (does the M68000 have _enforcable_protected memory?),

A plain 68000 doesn't have protected memory, but there's a version of
Linux that runs on MMU-less 68k CPUs - see http://www.uclinux.org

: as
: might be process switching and other low-levelthings. I have, however, come
: up with a few ideas:* The LCD is a memory-mapped device. For more details on
: how the LCDworks, see (I think) ti89.acz.org (if not that, go to acz.org and
: findthe TI89 page).*

ti89.acz.org is the correct address.

: There exists an open-source kernel called TEOS that you
: can findsomewhere at ticalc.org.
[...]
Hmmm, looks like a great site ... what a shame that the last TI calculator
I owned was (or probably still is - I'm not quite sure ;-)) a TI30 LED ...

Does the TI89 really have 2 MB RAM ? I don't think so - why should there
be only "about 188K bytes of user-available RAM (memory)" available ?
Running ucLinux in 2 MB should be possible, running in 188 kB impossible.

Best regards,
        Michael
--
Michael Engel   ([EMAIL PROTECTED])