Linux-Hardware Digest #774, Volume #9            Fri, 19 Mar 99 20:14:19 EST

Contents:
  Re: Riva TNT with RedHat 5.2/X ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session  (Bill Anderson)
  Re: Newbie Audio and modem problems ("TC")
  Re: Riva TNT with RedHat 5.2/X (Eric Brown)
  pentium 4MB page sizes (Seth Van Oort)
  Re: Is Windows for idiots? (Re: X munges the graphics card?) (Ed Falis)
  Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing? (Pas Moi)
  Re: OPL3-SAx sounds like broken record (Jeremy)
  Re: iomega jazz drives (Pas Moi)
  Re: Help! Bizarre error ! Zip no longer works upon install of new Hard Drive (Barry
Bogart)
  Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session  falls flat)
(jedi)
  Re: Modems for Linux and Unix? ("Liam")
  WindowMaker upgrade's broken my themes..... ("Gary J Sanderson")
  Cardbus ethernet ActionTec FastNet PRO 10/100 (Claudio Morgia)
  Re: installing RedHat 5.2 on big (10GB) drive (Eric Lee Green)
  Re: No Mouse ? (Axel Liljencrantz)
  Re: Is Windows for idiots? (Re: X munges the graphics card?) (Steffen Kluge)
  Re: buying a linux box -- advice? (Paul Gowder)
  Diamond fusion 16mb (sly)
  Re: ATI all in wonder pro tv tuner (Floss)
  Re: Multi-channel soundcard for Linux (Sam E. Trenholme)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.x,alt.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Riva TNT with RedHat 5.2/X
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:18:53 GMT

I'm not the expert at linux yet but I have done what the original post
asked.  I installed redhat 5.2 with a subsequent upgrade to the latest
XFree86.  Here is what I can tell you.  I am using creative labs
graphics blaster with the same riva tnt chipset and it works just
fine.  The way I understand it redhat created its own setup program
called xconfigurator to ease installation.  XFree86Setup is the setup
program supplied by the XFree86 org.  You updated the XFree86Setup
program to go with the new X86 but you didn't go to redhat and get
their UPDATED xconfigurator if you want to use it.  You can either use
the XFree86Setup that came with the updated x server or get the
updated Xconfigurator from redhat to use it.  If you try to use the
old Xconfigurator with the new XFree86 you get the segfault you
experienced.

Rehat is notoriously busy so get www.redhat.com/mirror.html and pick a
mirror.  Here is a randomly selected mirror to the directory where you
can get the updated rpms for the xserver and the updated
xconfigurator.

ftp://ftp.eecs.umich.edu/pub/linux/redhat/updates/5.2/i386/

or the file you need

ftp://ftp.eecs.umich.edu/pub/linux/redhat/updates/5.2/i386/Xconfigurator-3.89-1.i386.rpm

------------------------------

From: Bill Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:18:56 GMT

Jeff Szarka wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Mar 1999 13:03:33 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jedi)
> wrote:
>
> :On 14 Mar 1999 12:21:03 -0600, Jeff Szarka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> :>On Sun, 14 Mar 1999 16:43:45 +0000, Michael McConnell
> :><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> :>
> :>:On Sun, 14 Mar 1999, Don wrote:
> :>:
> :>:> Gerhard Traeger wrote:
> :>:> >
> :>:> > On 14 Mar 1999 01:49:07 -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff Szarka) wrote:
> :>:> >
> :>:> > > Problem: I want to change my resolution.
> :>:> >
> :>:> > > Linux:
> :>:> > > Edit config files and god know's what else
> :>:> >
> :>:> > He?
> :>:> > Where´ve you got this one?
> :>:> > Changing spatial resolution for X-servers is done by pressing
> :>:> > <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<Num "+"> or <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<Num "-">
> :>:>
> :>:> I saw this and just thought I would add that it doesnt work for me. And
> :>:> I still got a lot of stuff that doesnt work in the linux windows. After
> :>:> 4 installs, I did get it to basically work, but it wont do anything once
> :>:> you start it. I probably need to edit about 40 files to fix each
> :>:> problem.
> :>:
> :>:If your XF86Config file is set up only for one resolution it won't work. If,
> :>:like mine and Gerhard's setups where multiple resolutions have been
> :>:configured, it works really well. Though, I have to admit I only use it to
> :>:simulate full-screen on my TV card.
> :>
> :>
> :>So.........I still have to edit files?
> :
> :       No, you'll just have to rerun the configuration applet,
> :       much like you would have to do under Windows. The one
> :       in Windows is just prettier.
> :
>
> Funny thing about that, when I set more then one resolution it makes a
> virtual desktop, which I hate..so..........Looks like more editing
> huh?

No, again.

1) which config tool are you using?
2) if that one doesn't work try another. Using Xconfigurator? Try
XF86Setup. You can easily set up more than one in XF86Setup.

> :>
> :>Oh yea but...
> :>
> :>"Perhaps, before complaining about missing capabilities of linux,
> :>you should first try to ask how to do things properly."
> :
> :       Or mebbe you should have set the options you actually
> :       wanted when they were being spoonfed to you the first
> :       time.
>
> I change resolutions quite a bit, why should it be such a
> inconvenience to change a stupid setting?

It isn't.
You are trying to make it that way.

And *if* you *really* want to edit, there is but the *one* (1) file,
XF86Config to edit for your xserver resolution.
Assuming there is only one way to do something in linux is not a wise
assumption. Insisting it is, when given other methods, is ridiculous.

------------------------------

From: "TC" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie Audio and modem problems
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:18:57 GMT

Your kernel has no support for pnp-hardware. For the sound try OSS.
Using pnp-devices is better with kernel 2.2.2

------------------------------

From: Eric Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.x,alt.os.linux.redhat
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:19:02 GMT

OK, I got all of that.  I'm still having some serious problems.  For whatever
reason, it's only starting the VGA16 server, and not the SVGA server, even though
I specified during xf86config that I wanted SVGA.  One thing I noticed is that the
startup messages from startx made mention of Linux 2.20, and I'm, running 2.0.36.

Could this be the culprit?  If so, exactly what RPMs are needed to get up to 2.20?

Thanks,

Eric

From: Seth Van Oort <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: pentium 4MB page sizes
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:19:06 GMT

Has the 4 Meg page size for the pentium ever been used?

Seth

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ed Falis)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Is Windows for idiots? (Re: X munges the graphics card?)
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:12:01 GMT

<7chjmb$f6o$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: Pas Moi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:19:12 GMT

>> "CB" == Christopher Browne wrote on Wed, 10 Mar 1999 13:21:20 GMT:

CB> On Tue, 09 Mar 1999 17:51:40 GMT, Gianni Mariani
CB> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> The only ideology MS has is capitalism.

CB> Can you elaborate on how earnings accruing from ownership of
CB> capital explains Microsoft's actions?

since you ask:

0. seems like they bought some important pieces of intellectual
"property" early in their history.  note that bill chose to stash his
cash in production, and not on the roulette table, real estate, or in
hedonistic dissipation.  he took his money (how much from daddy?) and
turned it into capital.

1. they seem to be have extended this "ownership" of a few pieces of
intellectual "property" into even more "property rights" and a big
pile of money.  for ms, then we have M-C-M' & C-M-C'.

2. their system of production is more or less equivalent to wage
labour.

yes, maybe ms is a product of bill's psychosis, but for me, if it
walks like a duck...

you could have argued that the nature of the information industry
somehow negates the fundamentals of capitalism, but you seem more
concerned about defending the image of capitalism.  admitting that ms
is capitalist, will make capitalism look bad, which i guess is a
problem for you because you have an emotional comittment to
capitalism.  essentially, you're halfway to giving up on capitalism
already.  you might as well take the plunge, because it will be easier
than arguing that every uncle scrooge and ig farben isn't "really
capitalist."

and how did you work yourself out of the plonk zone on my score file?

ciao,

g.y.

--
Guy Yasko -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] [remove noise]

Mmmmmm-MMMMMM!!  A plate of STEAMING PIECES of a PIG mixed with the
shreds of SEVERAL CHICKENS!! ... Oh BOY!!  I'm about to swallow a
TORN-OFF section of a COW'S LEFT LEG soaked in COTTONSEED OIL and
SUGAR!! ... Let's see ... Next, I'll have the GROUND-UP flesh of CUTE,
BABY LAMBS fried in the MELTED, FATTY TISSUES from a warm-blooded
animal someone once PETTED!! ... YUM!!  That was GOOD!!  For DESSERT,
I'll have a TOFU BURGER with BEAN SPROUTS on a stone-ground, WHOLE
WHEAT BUN!!

------------------------------

From: Jeremy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OPL3-SAx sounds like broken record
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:19:09 GMT

Mike Epstein wrote:

> I'm running RedHat 5.2, with kernel 2.2.3.  I've just configured my
> on-board Yamaha OPL3-SAx manually with insmod, and when I play a sound
> (either with "play" from the command line or with FreeAmp) each
> segment (about a second or so) of the sound plays three times, then
> the next segment plays, and so on.  The card works fine under Win95.
> I don't seem to have any IRQ, I/O or DMA conflicts according to the
> relevant entries in /proc.  Has anyone solved this problem?  I'd
> appreciate any help.
>
> --mike
>
>   ZZ                http://hcs.harvard.edu/~mike/  mike at hcs.harvard.edu
>
>                     [will work for sig quote]

You have either a IRQ or DMA conflict. I had the same problem when both my
card and my parallel port was trying to use IRQ 5. To check and see what the
error is,  reboot the computer or remove and re-insert the sound drivers,
then run a command-line sound program. I got a an error that the sound driver
could not use IRQ 5.  After switching the sound driver to IRQ 9, I have not
had that problem. I hope that helps!  -  Jeremy    (I noticed that /proc does
not always list all devices, according to it I did not have a conflict
either)

------------------------------

From: Pas Moi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: iomega jazz drives
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:19:15 GMT

>> "PS" == Paul Sian wrote on Wed, 10 Mar 1999 11:25:23 -0500:

PS> They've got the new orb drives out now. 199 for the drive with one
PS> disk.  additional disks are 30 bucks. Each holds 2.2 GB of
PS> info. Yeah 2.2GB for only 30 bucks.  www.computability.com has the

the first ones looked like good deals, too, but they start looking
alot worse after the drive fails.  apparently you're supposed to go
out and buy another one to protect your investment in media.  yeah
right.  if you don't mind reinvesting in iomega every so often and you
can trust your data to unreliable media, then i suppose a jaz drive
might be ok.

so there is was in the copy shop retrieving files off one of my jaz
discs.  i asked the guy whether his drives failed, too.  A: "all the
time."

ciao,

g.y.

--
Guy Yasko -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] [remove noise]

        Talking Pinhead Blues:
Oh, I LOST my ``HELLO KITTY'' DOLL and I get BAD reception on channel
    TWENTY-SIX!!

------------------------------

From: Barry Bogart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help! Bizarre error ! Zip no longer works upon install of new Hard Drive
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:19:33 GMT

Craig and/or Cecilia wrote:

> Hi.  Let me just say up front that, relative to everyone else on this
> newsgroup, I don't
> know jack about linux (or computers in general, for that matter), so if
> anyone can help me
> I would REALLY appreciate it., but please don't assume that I know very
> much when
> giving your answers. Thanks.
>
> My internal SCSI 100 Mb Iomega Zip drive (/dev/sda4 on my computer)
> was working just fine in Red Hat 5.0 . However, I was running low on
> disk space so I installed
> a new 10 Gb hard drive.  much tweaking around, I finally got the thing
> installed correctly, partitioning
> half of  it for linux and half of it for DOS/Windows in FAT32 mode.
> Because I at one point thought
> I had to use Dynamic Drive OVerlay software to read all 10 Gb, I
> re-installed lilo to the root
> partition instead of  the MAster Boot Record.
>
> Now, my Zip Drive does not work in Linux. (It still works in Wondows,
> though!).
> When I put the Zip disk in, it hangs and cannot be ejected without
> restarting the computer.
>
> Its existence, however, is acknowledged by linux. Here are the logs...
>
> Mar 10 16:07:32 localhost kernel: aha152x0: vital data: PORTBASE=0x340,
>    IRQ=9, SCSI ID=7, reconnect=enabled, parity=enabled,
> synchronous=disabled, delay=100,
>   extended translation=disabled
> Mar 10 16:07:32 localhost kernel: aha152x: trying software interrupt,
> ok.
> Mar 10 16:07:32 localhost kernel: scsi0 : Adaptec 152x SCSI driver;
> $Revision: 1.18 $
> Mar 10 16:07:32 localhost kernel: scsi : 1 host.
> Mar 10 16:07:33 localhost kernel:   Vendor: IOMEGA    Model: ZIP
> 100           Rev: J.03
> Mar 10 16:07:33 localhost kernel:   Type:
> Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Mar 10 16:07:33 localhost kernel: Detected scsi removable disk sda at
> scsi0, channel 0, id 5, lun 0
> Mar 10 16:07:33 localhost kernel: sda : READ CAPACITY failed.
> Mar 10 16:07:33 localhost kernel: sda : status = 0, message = 00, host =
> 0, driver = 28
> Mar 10 16:07:33 localhost kernel: sda : extended sense code = 2
> Mar 10 16:07:33 localhost kernel: sda : block size assumed to be 512
> bytes, disk size 1GB.
> Mar 10 16:07:33 localhost kernel:  sda:scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:00,
> sector 0, absolute sector 0
> Mar 10 16:07:33 localhost kernel:  unable to read partition table
> Mar 10 16:07:34 localhost kernel: Device not ready.  Make sure there is
> a disc in the drive.
>
> I guess that, because of the new drive, linux now incorrectly reads the
> partition table for the zip?
>
> Could this have anything to do with my new hard disk having a FAT32
> partition?
>
> Should I re-install my Zip Drive? IF so, how?
>
> Should I change its scsi ID to 6? If so, how?

> [...]
If yuour new drive is a Maxtor, I would like to know what you used to
partition it (Maxblast or other).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jedi)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session  falls
flat)
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:19:39 GMT

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999 22:28:04 +0000, Bill Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Jeff Szarka wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 14 Mar 1999 13:03:33 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jedi)
>> wrote:
>>
>> :On 14 Mar 1999 12:21:03 -0600, Jeff Szarka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> :>On Sun, 14 Mar 1999 16:43:45 +0000, Michael McConnell
>> :><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> :>
>> :>:On Sun, 14 Mar 1999, Don wrote:
>> :>:
>> :>:> Gerhard Traeger wrote:
>> :>:> >
>> :>:> > On 14 Mar 1999 01:49:07 -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff Szarka) wrote:
[deletia]

>> :>
>> :>Oh yea but...
>> :>
>> :>"Perhaps, before complaining about missing capabilities of linux,
>> :>you should first try to ask how to do things properly."
>> :
>> :       Or mebbe you should have set the options you actually
>> :       wanted when they were being spoonfed to you the first
>> :       time.
>>
>> I change resolutions quite a bit, why should it be such a
>> inconvenience to change a stupid setting?

        Why?

        I personally find it more generally relevant that the
        xploder gui shell doesn't have sensible unbound filetype
        defaults and that one must hack a poorly documented
        registry to get some.

        Outside of systems like the Atari ST, constant res switching
        seems rather an artificial issue.

>It isn't.
>You are trying to make it that way.
>
>And *if* you *really* want to edit, there is but the *one* (1) file,
>XF86Config to edit for your xserver resolution.
>Assuming there is only one way to do something in linux is not a wise
>assumption. Insisting it is, when given other methods, is ridiculous.

        Nah, he's just intent on overlaying a DOSism on top of
        Unix in order to make it look bad. With perhaps the exception
        of some of the older games, I am unfamiliar with anyone that
        constantly futzes with their resolution in WinDOS.

        For those few apps that might benefit from resswitch, the
        app can do it on it's own.

--

  "I was not elected to watch my people suffer and die     |||
   while you discuss this a invasion in committe."        / | \

        In search of sane PPP docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

------------------------------

From: "Liam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modems for Linux and Unix?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:19:44 GMT

>> >If you have a modem running successfully under Linux I
>> > wouldn't mind getting the brand and model #.

I'm running a USR Sportster 5600 Voice Internal.

------------------------------

From: "Gary J Sanderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: WindowMaker upgrade's broken my themes.....
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:19:46 GMT

Since upgrading to the new version of WindowMaker my background images don't
update when I change to a different theme. I've checked that libjpeg's
installed which it is, so what am I missing?

Also when I try and run wmakerconf it dumps out with a 'sigsev caught' error
and mentioning something like 'no crontab for user xxxx' not sure of the
<exact> terminology (I'm having to use my Windoze box at the mo).

Please help, Gary.

------------------------------

From: Claudio Morgia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Cardbus ethernet ActionTec FastNet PRO 10/100
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:19:47 GMT

I have an ActionTec FastNet PRO 10/100 CardBus on a Mitac 5033T: with
some imagination, I guessed that it features a DEC 21143 chipset, so it
can be drived with the 'tulip_cb' driver under Linux.
 I'm using linux-2.2.3 on AMD K6-2/333.
 This card is recognized and powered on but in a couple of seconds
starts emitting messages like that:
 eth0: 21140 transmit timed out, status f0120000, SIA 000000c6 ffff0001
fffbff7f 8ff50000, resetting...

 eth0: transmit timed out, switching to 10baseT media.

 It continues with these messages until I stop the pcmcia service at
all.
 I had compiled the latest tulip driver 0.9 as a module for CardBus but
it does not work.

 Does anybody knows how to fix the problem of media recognition? It is
some other problem behind that?

 Claudiuccio

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Lee Green)
Subject: Re: installing RedHat 5.2 on big (10GB) drive
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:19:49 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, William D. Leara wrote:
>The RedHat 5.2 install doesn't seem to be able to recognize drives larger
>than 8.4GB.  I ran Partition Magic from DOS and setup Linux ext2 and
>Linux swap partitions.  After I boot to the RedHat 5.2 disks, RedHat
>install sees the ext2 partition size as "-1500MB" when it should be
>1500MB.  Any hints?

Look in your BIOS for the cyl,head,sector info. Then pass it to the kernel
on the syslinux or LILO boot line.

For example, for a 8.4gb IBM IDE to install off the Red Hat install disk, I
type:

  linux hda=1027,255,63

and voila! when it boots up, Linux sees it the proper size and everything!

--
Eric Lee Green         [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.linux-hw.com/~eric
"People have grown used to thinking of computers as unreliable, and it

------------------------------

From: Axel Liljencrantz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: No Mouse ?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:19:51 GMT

Erik Vermeulen wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> I've installed redhat 5.2 and upgraded to xfree 3.3.3.1.
> I've used xf86config to set up x.
> Afther the instalation and running I get the 111 error and it says "no
> mouse"
>
> I've got an Intelli mouse and it worked well last time I've installed
>
> What could be the problem?
>
> thanks in advance Erik

Make sure you selected the correct mouse port.
Remember that there are both ps/2 and serial versions of the intellimouse
driver.

hth

/Axel Liljencrantz

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steffen Kluge)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:19:57 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In a nutshell my belief has always been,
>"Select the application, and then the platform"

This is rather simplistic, I'm afraid. But otherwise it wouldn't
fit in a nutshell, I guess ;-)

Most users frequently run a number of applications, not all of
which may be equally well supported on any given platform. Thus
you have to compromise. Then there are those applications they
don't run frequently but still don't want to miss entirely.
This can give one platform the edge over another. BTW it is not
so much the applications that need to be supported, it is the
specific problems that need to be solvable. If you *want* the
application "Client for Microsoft networking" then you don't
have much choice - if all you want is a solution to your
connectivity problem your choices are much wider.

A very important consideration (for many users) is the stability
and overall performance of the platform. How good does it let
the applications be?

Rarely, this optimisation problem can be solved by pointing to a
single platform (I could for me, though :-). This is why lilo
supports multi-OS booting.

>Scripting and configuration is an area where nix's have a huge
>advantage and don't get me wrong vi and Emacs as well as slrn and the
>others I mentioned are fine programs but the average user is not going
>to be interested in them after using Outlook or Agent etc, UNLESS they
>have very specific needs that those programs can address.

Apparently neither Unix nor Windows nor MacOS address the whole
spectrum of computer literacy among users. I dare to assert that
Unix covers a wider range though, with Windows better at times
for the lower range of this spectrum but brutally confined
there. Unix may be frustrating to the beginner but this
frustration quickly gives way to appreciation as enlightenment
sets in. Windows seems to be the other way around. It may be
easy to beginners (something I'd debate in some cases) but gets
increasingly frustrating the more you know (or want to know)
about computing. This doesn't imply that users *have* to strive
to improve their computer literacy. Staying a "Microsoft user"
is a perfectly acceptable choice. I just don't like people who
made this choice lecturing about how bad the other alternatives
are.

>By going back to the 70's I meant a green screen cli interface.

Well green is really way backward, although it is supposedly
good for the eyes. Towards the end of the century people much
prefer terminal windows with black-on-white or
something-on-transparent characters.  ;-)

Cheers
Steffen.

--
Steffen Kluge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Fujitsu Australia Ltd

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Gowder)
Subject: Re: buying a linux box -- advice?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:19:58 GMT

in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brad Harris) did something
allowing me to incorporate a very witty verb in this line and produced:
>Not to many here in town..
> I can think of a few far out though.. See, I'm only 17 and I am not
>really trusted very quickly...
>I will get a list of everyone I can think of, I don't keep real good
>track records, guess I need to work on that eh?

It would help your business.  :)
        -Paul

Paul Gowder
The e-mail address above goes directly to the trash.
To reach me, e-mail paul at the domain in my from
field.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]////// (sly)
Subject: Diamond fusion 16mb
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:20:00 GMT

Cannot run xwindows svga. anyone have a solution?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Floss)
Subject: Re: ATI all in wonder pro tv tuner
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:20:02 GMT

Just as a quick followup to the last post, there is some interesting
info on ATI-TV and Linux users here: http://ati.veiled.net/stats.shtml

        --Floss

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sam E. Trenholme)
Crossposted-To: comp.music.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.music,rec.audio.pro
Subject: Re: Multi-channel soundcard for Linux
Date: 19 Mar 1999 16:51:25 -0800

>  Right... this sound good to my ears, but what about the software
>support for the Pulsar under Linux ? I mean does exist some linux soft able
>to use the card facilities for mixing, applying effects and such, or
>is it still a dream ?

There exists quite a few sound applications for Linux:

        http://sound.lovebead.com/

I don't think any of the big companies are visionary enough to support
Linux at this time, although that should change once Linux standarizes on
an easy-to-use desktop.  Quite frankly, I think Sonic Foundry will be one
of the last companies to go Linux--they have a "If it ain't Microsoft, it
sux" attitude.  Microsoft web server, Microsoft-only software, UGH!

- Sam

--
Email address here: http://www.samiam.org/ssi/mailme.shtml
Music I write here: http://www.mp3.com/sam http://www.samiam.org/mp3