Linux-Hardware Digest #774, Volume #10           Fri, 16 Jul 99 00:13:32 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Problem installing zip-drive on RH 6.0, using insmod ppa (Joceli Mayer)
  Re: Config for G200 under XFree86 (Mark Post)
  Winmodem ("Bryan Panella")
  Getting STB Velocity 128 to work ("Winston Liu")
  System Review ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Recommendation sought:  good AGP video card (root)
  CD-R multisession question.. (Walter Francis)
  GL / 3D for ATI Rage chips? (Bjoern Giesler)
  Mouse is not working under RH6 (Angus)
  Re: I am Able to play sound files only as root. Pl. Help! (Erik Steffl)
  Re: embedded computers (Stefan Ehlen)
  Linux driver for 3Com NIC: (HOKAFF)
  Re: Compact Flash vs. SSFDC Smart Media ("name")
  Re: ethernet suggestions (Rod Smith)
  Re: RH 6 Hangs on install - SCSI problems? (M. Buchenrieder)
  Jetway 530BF ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Winmodem ("John E. Garrott")
  Re: linux & palm pilot (Mykool)
  Re: Will My Wheel Mouse Work w/ Linux? (Atif)
  Re: PIII Xeon 500MHz ("Robert L. McCormick")

From: Joceli Mayer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.kernel.general,redhat.general
Subject: Re: Problem installing zip-drive on RH 6.0, using insmod ppa
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 16:27:06 -0700

bono wrote:

> should be
>
> insmod parport
> insmod imm
>
> instead of insmod ppa in RH6
>
> Hope it helps
>
> Bono

only if it is  a newer zip drive (6 months older at most), otherwise should use
"ppa".
besides if you have problems sharing your  printer with zip  and have an ali
aladim chipset,
let me know. There is an easy fix for that.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Post)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Config for G200 under XFree86
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 23:33:20 GMT

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999 08:19:33 GMT, Greg Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Hi all. I'd like to know how people have setup their Matrox G200 (8MB)
>cards under XFree86, so it runs at 32bpp?
-snip-

Section "Screen"
    Driver      "svga"
    Device      "Matrox Millennium G200 8MB"
    Monitor     "Hewlett-Packard D2808A"
    DefaultColorDepth 32
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       32
        Modes       "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
EndSection

To send me email, replace 'nospam' with 'home'.

------------------------------

From: "Bryan Panella" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Winmodem
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 19:26:26 -0500

Stupid question:  Is there no way to get a WInmodem to work under Linux (Red
Hat 6 specifically)?

I know it is not supported direct but maybe there is an add-on package or
driver which can make them work?

Oh well.  I didn't see anyone else ask about it (yes, I know WIN modem but
what the hell).  Thanks.

Regards,

Bryan Panella

From: "Winston Liu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Getting STB Velocity 128 to work
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 18:47:46 -0500

I can't for the life of me get my STB Velocity 128 AGP card to work
properly.  i can never get it to go higher than 640X480 at 8bbp.  I'm
running Suse 6.1 right out of the box.  can anyone help me? is the driver
accellerated for the Velocity 128?

Thanks.

winston

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: System Review
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 23:50:43 GMT

Greetings,

I'm building a new system, and trying to come in at around $2000,
including a new monitor.  I'm wondering if I can get suggestions
and recommendations from you kind people about the hardware I'm
selecting. :-)

CPU/MoBo:  Pentium II 400Mhz / Asus P2B-D
  - 400Mhz will make me happy for the time being, but I want
    the option to upgrade to a dualy once I get a little more
    money.

RAM:  256MB
  - I'd like recommendations for high quality brands.  I've made
    the mistake of buying the cheapest "deal" I could find, and
    wound up regretting it.  Are there any on-line guides for RAM
    buying, lists of chips that meet the real PC100 spec?

Hard Drive: IBM Deskstar 25GP 25.0GB
  - Can't have enough space. :-)  Does anyone know about the
    reliability and speed of these drives?  I'm used to SCSI
    at work, but since I'm not going to be dealing with multiple
    drives, I think it makes more sense for me to go IDE ..

CD-RW: Ricoh 7040A 4x4x20
  - I've heard good things about this drive.  Anyone have any
    bad remarks about it?

Video: nRiva TNT / 16MB
  - With nRiva supporting XFree, and all the rave reviews, I
    figured I should jump on the bandwagon.  Does anyone  have
    any specific brand of card to recommend?

Network: 10/100Base-T
  - .. for Quake with the neighbors and ADSL. :-)

Sound:  Generic SoundBlaster
  - .. for Quake with the neighbors and MP3s. :-)

Monitor:  Sony GDM-400PS (19")
  - I've had good experiences with Sony monitors, and 19" is a
    pretty good amount of room .. especially at 1600x1200.

Power Supply:  PC Power and Cooling Silencer 275W ATX
  - I love these power supplies.  Quiet enough to keep the 'pooter
    in the bedroom.

Case:  I have *no* idea.  There are so many crappy cases out there,
  I really need some help finding a quality case that's easy to
  open up, and is durable.

.. the rest of the pieces (floppy drive, mouse, keyboard, etc.) will
be salvaged from my old PC.

Anyhow, any information, reviews, critiques, pointers, or URLs are
appreciated.

Thanks!
-Peat

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 21:00:44 -0400
From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Recommendation sought:  good AGP video card

Ian Tester wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Jul 1999, carlos wrote:
>
> > I am in the process of selecting an AGP video card for a new computer
> > and I am looking for recommendations...
>
> I can personally recommend the Matrox G200. The TNT cards are also
> supposed to be supported, but I don't know exactly how well.

So far I haven't had a problem with my Viper 550 (TNT).  It works fine at up
to 1024x768.  Don't think my moniter goes past that, so I haven't
tried.        94Haley

   http://www.newsfeeds.com       The Largest Usenet Servers in the World!
======== Over 73,000 Newsgroups = Including  Dedicated  Binaries Servers =======

------------------------------

From: Walter Francis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CD-R multisession question..
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 14:51:35 -0400

There are probably better newsgroups, at least to crosspost this to, but
here goes..

I was given an HP 7200i CD-RW drive, works great..  I have SCSI host
adaptor emulation compiled into the kernel, and wrote a multisession
CD-R out to the drive using cdrecord.

I wasn't so surprized that my Kenwood 40X CD-ROM (/dev/hdd) wouldn't
mount the CD, but I do find it weird that I can't mount the CD in the HP
drive (/dev/hdc) either.  If I mount /dev/scd0 it's fine.

Actually, now that I try a known good CD-R I can't mount it either.  I
guess it's because it's in SCSI 'mode' and I'm trying do IDE too, 2.2
kernels can't do this, right?

Back to using the CD-R in the other CD-ROM drive, is it a problem that
the Kenwood CD-ROM might not be able to read multisession CD's, or is
there something else I should look into?  I'd rather not us the CD-RW
drive a lot.  I plan on implimenting a backup system with some CD-RW's,
but would also like to have a CD-RW dedicated to MP3's, would this also
be a problem in the normal CD-ROM?  /var/log/messages says this about
the drive:

Jul 15 12:22:30 linux kernel: hdd: KENWOOD CD-ROM UCR004010 V1.00, ATAPI
CDROM drive

Don't know if that helps, I don't have the exact model offhand because
the drive was given to me.  However, the book I received with it is from
HiVal.

I appreciate any help, including RTFM's with TFM's URL included..  :)  I
have read the CD-Writer howto, but there is likely a more general file
on CD-R/RW's I should read.

Thanks!

--
Walter Francis
http://wally.hplx.net                      Powered by RedHat 6.0

------------------------------

From: Bjoern Giesler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: GL / 3D for ATI Rage chips?
Date: 15 Jul 1999 15:09:18 GMT

Hi,

anyone know if there is anybody working on 3D acceleration for ATI Rage
chips? I know that they're a bit outdated, but on laptops they're
top-of-the-line, and I want to be able to use GL on mine!

TIA,
                --Bjoern
--
================================/\==One OS to rule them all===Windows NT=====
Bjoern Giesler                 /  \  One OS to find them

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 11:48:21 +1000
From: Angus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mouse is not working under RH6

HELP!

I installed RH v6 the other day and now my serial mouse has died!

I have tried this on two separate systems, inside X and outside, the
mouse worked on one, but when I replaced the serial mouse
with another serial mouse it stopped working!

I am using a monitor/KB/mouse switch box at the moment but I have also
tried without the switch box and the problem is still
there.

I have checked everything I could think of and re-compiled the kernel a
number of times.
The only thing I could find is that the /dev/mouse is really
/dev/ttyS0   This sounds correct to me but...

Any and all help is appreciated!

------------------------------

From: Erik Steffl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc,linux.dev.sound
Subject: Re: I am Able to play sound files only as root. Pl. Help!
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 18:53:58 -0700

  /dev/foo (foo = mixer, audio, ....) are mostprobably only links to
actual devices, so there is no use to change pernmissions to them.

  do the ls -l /dev|less and check - if the first character is l, it is
a link.

  what error messages are you getting?

        erik

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stefan Ehlen)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: embedded computers
Date: 10 Jul 1999 08:32:51 GMT

In article <7m31pv$ml4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Brett Alexander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hello I am Computer Engineering student and for my senior design project I
> am using the Explorer II microcontroller (EXPLRII) to interface with a
> desktop computer, through the serial port. I was wondering if Linux could
> be used as a viable operating system for the embedded computer. If anyone
> has any valuable advice it would most helpful. Thank you.
>
> Brett

Check out www.uclinux.org

CU
Stefan

------------------------------

From: HOKAFF <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Linux driver for 3Com NIC:
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 21:39:36 -0500

Does anyone know where I can get the Linux driver for 3Com's
OfficeConnet 3CSOHO100-TX Fast Ethernet NIC ?

--kk

------------------------------

From: "name" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: rec.photo.digital,comp.arch.embedded
Subject: Re: Compact Flash vs. SSFDC Smart Media
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 02:17:41 GMT

Phil Askey wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Ken <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>formats? I'm designing a new gadget that will need Flash memory and I
>>might go with a card slot instead of soldered-down chips and serial
>>downloading. I figure anything that can read a PCMCIA hard disk will
>>read either format, but just want to confirm that.
>
>From what I understand CF has a controller chip inside it which makes
>it completely PCMCIA compatible, the PCMCIA->CF adapters simply acting
>as a "shell" for the CF, the pins connectivity being the same.  This
>means that no matter what the capacity the device is simply accessing
>an ATAPI "flash device", in theory any size card (assuming it fits -
>CF Type I and Type II are slightly different package sizes) can be
>used in any device which takes CF.
>
>SmartMedia on the otherhand isn't so "smart" as it's purely a flash
>chip, the controller has to be in the device, so for example digital
>cameras which take smartmedia have a special smartmedia controller
>built into them.  Problem with that is that that controller typically
>only supports smartmedia upto a certain capacity and the camera itself
>has to be upgraded to take larger sizes.  From what I understand this
>is also a problem with the SmartMedia Clik! drive which won't take
>32MB SmartMedia (I think).

That's right, compact flash is just a small version of PCMCIA, and has
circuitry
to make it respond like a disk drive.  Smartmedia is flash chips only.  See
here
for more info:

http://www.pcmcia.org/faq.htm

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: ethernet suggestions
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 02:48:33 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Declan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Currently i have two machines, one is running RH-Linux and the other
> is my gaming machine (W98). I had an idea for setting up a local
> network as follows:
>
> two machines connected via ethernet.
>
> THe Linux machine is to handle all incomming/outgoing network traffic
> (via cable/modem/ADSL..). So, I would like all security stuff to be
> handled by the linux machine. Any internet access required by the w98
> machine would get it through the Linux box.
>
> So my question(s):
>
> 1) is this a worthwhile effort?

"Worthwhile" is subjective.  It's definitely do-able, and you can do it
inexpensively and (if you're moderately familiar with Linux) fairly
easily.  You'll need two or three NICs (one for the Windows box, and one
or two for the Linux box, depending upon how you connect to the Internet
[you'll typically need a NIC if you use a cable modem or DSL; but you'll
use a conventional modem instead if you use PPP]); and you'll need either
one Ethernet crossover cable (cheapest and fastest) or two conventional
Ethernet cables and a hub (more expensive and slower, but more easily
expanded).

You may need to recompile your kernel.  You'll definitely need to
configure your system for IP masquerading or NAT (the former is more
common in the Linux community).

> 2) since the linux machine is a small 486..i might be wise to choose
> another veriosn of Linux (also a version that is good with
> network/security issues)? is this the case?

I doubt if you'll get any better or worse performance from Red Hat vs. any
other distribution on a 486.  There might be issues of disk space on
initial install, but assuming your hard disk is big enough, you can trim
after the fact if you need to.

As to security, I've certainly seen claims that Red Hat is insecure on
installation.  I've seen much less on precisely HOW it's insecure, or on
distributions that are MORE secure, and I've not investigated alternative
distribution security very closely.  Since I gather that security is one
of the reasons you want this setup, you'd be wise to read a book or two on
the subject and tweak ANY distribution manually.

>    (Eventually, i will have another machine p90, with a fuller Linux
> installation for playing around with -- whici will also be part of the
> network and it too will communicate throught the 486)
> 3) is there a particular choice for ehternet cards that i should be
> looking at?

This is an interesting question.  If the 486 has two (or even just one)
free PCI slots, you've got the same choices as for a Pentium-class
machine.  Basically, any 10/100 PCI NIC will work.  Most "generic" boards
use the Tulip driver, but most recent ones actually use Tulip clones,
which may (or may not) require that you obtain updated Tulip drivers from
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/tulip-devel.html and compile
them as a module or into your kernel.  3COM and Intel 10/100 PCI cards
also get recommended a lot, but I've no personal experience with them and
they're more expensive.

If you connect to a cable modem or DSL setup, you'll need two NICs in the
486.  As the cable and DSL setups are slow, you can get by with a 10Mbps
ISA NIC if you need to.

If the 486 has no PCI slots, I'd recommend doing some scrounging and
trying to find a 10/100 ISA NIC that's supported in Linux.  I have no
specific recommendations about this, though.  The reason is that 100Mbps
really is much better for any heavy-duty local networking you might want
to do, like backing up over the network, transferring big files, etc.  If
you're restricted to 10Mbps on the 486, I'd still get a 10/100 card for
the Windows box, since it'll make upgrading easier in the future.

> 4) what have i missed?

You'll need to read several HOWTOs to configure IP masquerading and other
services.  Note that several features of IP masquerading changed with the
switch from kernel 2.0.x to 2.2.x, so be sure you're reading the
up-to-date stuff (I recommend setting up a system that uses 2.2.x from the
beginning -- no point in wasting time configuring a 2.0.x system and then
having to change it all when you feel the need to upgrade to 2.2.x).

--
Rod Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: RH 6 Hangs on install - SCSI problems?
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 22:16:54 GMT

[Note FollowUp-To: header]

David Rahbany <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[...]

>BusLogic FlashPoint LT PCI SCSI
>SCSI Channel 0, ID 0, LUN 0 = Micropolis 4743NS (Win98 installed)
>SCSI Channel 0, ID 1, LUN 0 = Conner CFP1080S (For Linux OS)
>SCSI Channel 0, ID 6, LUN 0 = Plextor PX-6XS CD-ROM

[...]

><4>SCSI0:  Warning: Partition table appears to have geometry 31/19 which
>is not compatible with
>current host adapter geometry 64/32

[...]

You either have setup this disk before on a different controller than
the FlashPoint LT (the geometry mapping used on SCSI disks is controller-
dependant), or your FlashPoint is setup with support for DOS drives above
1GB which may well be messing up things.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Jetway 530BF
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 02:24:20 GMT

Has anyone had success with this board?  It doesn't seem to be
mentioned in the Hardware how-to, or on usenet.  I'm thinking
of buying one, but I'm not so sure now that I can't find any
references to it.

The jetway 530BF is a motherboard with on-board sound and video
(details are available at:
http://www.jetway.com.tw/evisn/jwc/jwc01/index.html
)

The sound is described as On Board ESS1938 SOLO1 PCI 3D Sound
     Chipset

The video:
On Board 6326 AGP V.G.A

Does anyone have any experiences positive or negative about this
board, or ideas on where I can track down more details (especially
on the sound and video, which concern me most)

Thanks,
Robert.

From: "John E. Garrott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Winmodem
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 20:09:27 -0700

Bryan Panella wrote:

> Stupid question:  Is there no way to get a WInmodem to work under Linux (Red
> Hat 6 specifically)?
>
> I know it is not supported direct but maybe there is an add-on package or
> driver which can make them work?
>
> Oh well.  I didn't see anyone else ask about it (yes, I know WIN modem but
> what the hell).  Thanks.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bryan Panella
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Go  to http://www.deja.com, search for winmodem and linux.
Be prepared for greif.

Also
        http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html
for a technical explanation.

Sorry,

John

------------------------------

From: Mykool <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux & palm pilot
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 23:10:01 -0400

lemmer wrote:

> Hi! I am using a 3com palm pilot. But I didnīt find a way so far to
> connect it to my Linux-PC. Does anyone know about a solution?

Find palm-link.  It will let you connect your palm to you linux box.
--
Michael Barnhill
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Atif <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Will My Wheel Mouse Work w/ Linux?
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 02:37:50 GMT

The link has all the info I needed to get it all working
under RedHat 6.  My Netscape pages now scroll up and
down easily.  Wow.

I only had to add one line to to my XF86Config and did cut
and paste the entire section of Netscape minus the comments
and that was it.

Let me know if you are having any specific problems.  I will
try to help.

Atif

From: "Robert L. McCormick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PIII Xeon 500MHz
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 21:56:36 -0500

jeff wrote:

> I have a quad processor Xeon machine running just fine.  No problems.
>
> Jeff
>
> EKK wrote:
>
> > anybody heard of any problems with a dual Xeon machine?
> >
> > as far as I know Linux supports the Xeon chip?!?!
> >
> > thank you,
> >
> > AG

Hi,

Would you mind telling me what SCSI you have onboard, if any? I am
searching for a good dual P-III motherboard and want to find one that
has onboard SCSI support. I have been looking at the Supermicro boards
but the Adaptec SCSI listed as being on their boards is unfortunately
not listed as being supported by Linux in the scsi howto.

Thanks,

Robert