Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 00:19:39 -0800
From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: disk & dma problems...

hdparm -i /dev/xxx  -v gives current settings.

--
[Replies: make the double y a single]

"Everything is permitted.  Nothing is forbidden."
                                   WS Burroughs.

------------------------------

From: "Curt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Gateway Performance 400 and Linux?
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 10:57:37 -0500

Well I'm jealous.  Nice system.

This HOWTO might be useful:
http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/mini/Large-Disk.html

Partition magic should work ok, I don't know about fips.

RH5.2 should be fine.  I'd check the Xfree pages to be sure the X-indows
supports
your graphics adaptor.  http://www.xfree86.org/

I've had no luck and very little experience getting sound to work under
linux.

<7ddij9$g2k$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

From: "Denis Ricard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SCSI tape backup read error...
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 10:55:37 -0500

Hi,I'm presently setting up a new server with Redhat Linux 5.2 and doing
level 0 dumps on tape with an HP DAT8 with dds-1 tapes (2gb-4gb compressed).
The dump and restore works fine on the machine.
Then i put the tape on another server which has an hp surestore 2000 tape
and it is unable to read the tape.Both tapes need to be compatible! Is there
any way we can verify the setting for a tape ex:blocks, compression, etc...

I think the HP DAT8 uses compression by default and that is why I can't read
the tape from hp 2000!

I would appreciate technical advice on this matter!
Thanks!

------------------------------

From: Reiner Elmers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ATI Xpert LCD
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 10:06:09 +0100

Has anyone ever tried to get a LCD/TFT-Monitor work with
Linux with a digital connection to the video card ATI Xpert LCD?

This video card is not listed at xfree86.org, but maybe only
due to the fact that no one tried it out?!

Reiner

--
 Reiner Elmers          \ Institut fuer Netzwerktheorie und
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] \ Schaltungstechnik, TU Braunschweig

------------------------------

From: "Marc Lindahl/Sonorus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: rec.audio.pro
Subject: Re: Multi-channel soundcard for Linux
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 10:42:46 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> , BL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  wrote:

>totally irrelevant.  never once did I disclose any details of this since I
>consider it totally irrelevant and in poor taste.  so why are you bringing
>this up?

It's completely relevant, and it's never in poor taste to disclose your
place of employment (well, unless it's Hooters, maybe...)

>I may not have written as many -drivers- as they have (sound drivers, that is)
>but I more than make up for it in the amount of time I had to spend on the
>project and I have one more very relevant motivation to bring to the table: I

That's like saying, I've never programmed a computer, but I more than make
up for it because I've *used* one for 20 years.  Motivation does not equal
competence.

>wanted to actually USE the darned thing, as well as writing some custom apps
>to show the card in its best light.

You can write a multitrack app without depending on our card -- and you'd be
the first one to do it in Linux, as far as I see so far...

>OSS isn't in the apps business and
>doesn't seem to want to me.

That's what I like about them -- they picked an area of expertise and
they're sticking to it.

>  I, OTOH, have no rigid guidelines as to what
>boundaries I will and won't cross.

That's not the point.  Write some drivers, and you'll see that it's a
specific discipline, and if you do it well, one with value.

>if writing a custom gtk+ app helps debug
>the driver, so be it - I'd write the app and have a total package to donate
>back.

You can write your app to interface to OSS, then it'll work with any card
they support.  OSS has been around for a while, and it does work.

>tried, and I know of no one that would record a single historic event to a
>windows multichannel app.

You don't know many recording engineers then.  Our first beta tester already
has 3 albums recorded and released on Windows95 and Cakewalk!  And there are
plenty more where he came from.

>  and I don't own a mac and never will.

The majority of music professionals use Macintosh -- it's very reliable and
the software quality is very high.

>  as far as NT
>goes, your driver is still very new.  it may well be much more stable than the
>95/98 driver (it could ONLY be more stable under NT, one would hope) but

That's a misconception.  WinNT is no more or less 'stable' than 95.  In fact
for a DAW, in a lot of ways Win95/98 is superior.

>again, NT isn't exactly in the same league as linux is, in terms of raw O/S
>stability.

In the field of Digital Audio, it's impossible to compare, since there
aren't any DAW apps in linux!

>that remark was not necessary, marc.  really.  no need to get personal.  its
>an insult to Curley, to compare him to me... ;-)

(sorry Curley) -- the point was, you asked about Linux before you bought it,
I directed you to Open Sound, you went off, and I assume got an acceptable
answer from them, since you called back and got the card and converters.

>yes you can.  you can withdraw your relationship with them and find someone
>who -cares- about creating a driver for your card, and in a timely manner.

I'm not withdrawing my relationship due to some whiners on the internet.  I
still think Open Sound are the best audio driver guys around.  They are a
small (2-person, a dog, and a plant) company, just like ours, and have alot
to do.  They will get it done.

And, secondly, I have yet to hear from or find anyone else who has even
written ONE audio driver for linux!

>even though folks like me can't just copy and modify an existing driver that
>we wrote, we can more than make up for this in terms of extra energy and
>interest and IMHO that balances the equation.  sometimes folks work harder for
>love than they do for money...

You don't think OSS loves what they're doing?  You don't become Bill Gates
by selling linux drivers!

>come on - I have over 15 years of programming experience.  I'm FAR from a
>novice.  sure, I haven't written a driver for a card like yours, but give me
>-some- credit, please.  driver writing isn't rocket science.  designing novel
>hardware clearly -is-, but simply making the hardware talk to other software
>is a lot less difficult than you make it out to be.

I'm sorry you think so little of us driver writers.  Have you written ANY
driver for linux?  If you're such a hot shot, go get a TB Montego, based on
the Aureal chip, go download the chip spec from Aureal (which completely
explains the chip), and write your own driver for it!  I have one of those
cards -- send me your driver and I'll check it out. Think you can finish it
by next month?  Next year?  Ever?

>you -want- experienced developers, but those 'experienced' developers are
>sleeping on the job.  or to that effect.

I'm sorry you think so little of Dev and Hannu.  I talked to them yesterday,
and they are currently working on OSS support for a crop of 'consumer'
cards, mostly AC97 variety.  They figure (rightly, I think) there's more
demand for it.  Then after May they're going to shape up STUDI/O and other
pro audio cards.  Anyone that calls OSS will hear this from them.

>: Show me how it's in our interest.  Give me a breakdown of the linux pro
>: audio market
>
>I can't, because you haven't enabled the linux market to -form- !  its a
>chicken and egg problem.

Oh -- SORRY EVERYONE, I'm holding back the Linux pro audio market!  It's my
fault!

>its less than miniscule.  but that could change if there was a multichannel
>capability for linux.

'Could' doesnt pay the bills.

>it will come.  if there's a functioning driver, you'll get some return on it.

and that return is...?

>directly and indirectly.

sounds pretty vague...

>  and you do have to give it time.

How about YOU give it some time?  OSS will finish the driver sometime this
summer or fall, supporting all the features of the board.  Will your
multichannel app be done and ready by then?

>  but you could OWN
>the linux multitrack market if it was properly seeded.

Wow, good idea!  And we could port it to the Amiga, and own that market too!

>things.  no one's asking you to give ultra-polite and politically-correct
>answers to linux hackers.

And, as you can tell, I'm not!

>  and in fact, linux hackers can usually read, so if
>you write that we can't call tech support, we usually wont ;-)  I wouldn't, at
>least.

Proportionate to our sales, our linux support time is already way higher
than Windows and of course Mac, and even Be OS!!

Marc Lindahl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
president, Sonorus Inc.
http://www.sonorus.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: RS 232 <--> RJ45 ???
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 10:12:02 GMT

Actually, I am trying to find a way to connect my laptop to my linux network,
through the rs232 or the parallel port. Perhaps building some kind of device,
i.e RS232 <--> RJ45 . the device should have 2 connectors, 1 is a rs232 (or
parallel port connector) and the other is RJ 45 connector. With this, I can
plug one end to the rs232 and the other end to the RJ45 connector cable.

2 reasons for doing this: 1. try to save some bucks from buying a pcmcia card,
and second, for education purposes.

From: "Dmitry Melekhov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: tape device
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 13:15:52 +0400

Hi!

I want to know which streamers suppoted by linux

--
Dmitry Melekhov
(aka 2:5050/11.23@fidonet)

------------------------------

From: "Jesus M. Salvo Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: S3 Virge/GX2 problem
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 19:55:14 +1000

I sticked to 16 bpp, because as you said, 24 bpp causes some icons like in
Netscape to become black and white. Other than that, I have no problems.
So what do you have in XF86Config?

John Salvo

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 10:11:42 GMT

From: wizard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP 2100 and ghostscript
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:56:09 GMT

Bill Simpson wrote:

> I was wondering: does the HP Laserjet 2100 work with ghostscript?
> The ghostscript web page says:
> lj5gray  H-P LaserJet 5 & 6 family, gray-scale bitmap;
>
> But I am about to buy the  2100 and plan to use ghostscript. I noticed
> this printer uses PCL 6 instead of PCL 5; in any case, does this printer
> work OK with ghostscript?
>
> Thanks very much for any help.
>
> Bill Simpson

Hi Bill;

I can't answer this question as I was down at the store looking at one of
these myself.    The question I got is why not choose the Postscript
option.     I realize that its not true Postscript, but rather an
emulation, but this seems to be a far better choice than loading your
machine down with Ghostscript.

So to extend the question has anybody out there used the Postscript
emulation available on the HP2100??     If so how and what were the
results?

Another question related to laser printer is Adobies PrintGear controller,
anybody have experience with printers using these??

Dave

------------------------------

From: Bill Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:56:10 GMT

Jeff Szarka wrote:

> On 13 Mar 1999 02:23:44 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brian
> Langenberger) wrote:
>
> :M. le Rutte ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> :: Walter van der Schee wrote:
> :: ? [...]
> :: > If you're using Linux, recompile the kernel to include magic SysRq-key
> :: > hack,
> :: > if X crashes and doesn't allow you to switch VT's, tap Alt-SysRq+R to
> :: > switch the keyboard out of raw-mode, then try to switch VT's. If that
> :: > doesn't help,
> :: > tap the sequence Alt-SysRq-S (emergency disk-sync), Alt-SysRq-U
> :: > (emergency disk remount read-only (setting the clean-bit)), Alt-SysRq-B
> :: > (emergency reboot).
> :: > [...]
> :
> :: And than people still say Linux is ready for the desktop?
> :
> :The worst possible case is the same: hardware reboot of the machine
> :
> :The difference is, Linux requires that extreme step much less often than
> :Windows98.
> :
> :If anything, Windows isn't ready for the desktop.
>
> Yea I hate how in windows you have to compile your own
> software....that's really desktop ready huh?..........Oh wait...that's
> linux.

hat compiling?
one word:
RPM

Thank you, good night.

------------------------------

From: Levin Jungermann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
de.comm.isdn,de.comm.isdn.computer,de.comm.isdn.technik,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: linux, isdn modprobe
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 17:41:50 +0100

I'm now running a Fritz PCI with a 2.0.36 kernel patched by SuSe for
full support of the PCI card. I have it build right into the kernel. And
it works well. In this special kernel, if you have a look at the
configuration possibilties you'll find, that your card is directly
supported. If you want to use a modul, the card type is 27.

bye
        Levin

--
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

postal adress:
Institut fuer experimentelle Kernphysik
z.H. Levin Jungermann
Helmholtz-Platz 1
76344 Leopoldshafen

fon: +49 7247 824803
fax: +49 7247 823414

------------------------------

From: "Dan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Adaptec AIC - 7890
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:20:59 GMT

Do you know if the AIC7896 is also supported under RH 5.2 (I will also
install the latest kernel)?  I'm about to build a dual-processor web-server
with the new L440GX+ intel board.  The AIC7896 comes on the board.  Thanks.

DR

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Joachim Thiemann)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Date: 25 Mar 1999 17:11:30 GMT

Jesus M. Salvo Jr. ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: I sticked to 16 bpp, because as you said, 24 bpp causes some icons like in
: Netscape to become black and white. Other than that, I have no problems.
: So what do you have in XF86Config?

I'll have to recheck my configuration, version of XF86, (I think it's
the latest, I'm using Mandrake 5.3) etc, but AFAIR, I'm running 24bit,
in 800x600. (Crappy hand-me-down 14" monitor) I do not have the
Netscape black&white button problem. I'm running the SVGA server.

: John Salvo

: Yidao Cai wrote:

: > S3 Virge/GX2 video card, XF86-3.3.3.1.
: >
: > S3V server, double screen side by side
: >
: > SVGA server: 24 bit, flicky lines when a window is moved, Netscape has
: > no color in the buttons (16 bit
: > does not have these problems).

I'm seeing flicky lines since I upped the refresh rate.

: > For both 16 and 24 bits with SVGA server, screen suddenly freezes and
: > the computer takes no input,
: > had to turn power off.  More often than under 95. This often happens
: > when move the scroll bar in
: > Netscape, and with xv operations. With xv, if you do a crop or select
: > the file type when saving gif to
: > jpeg, it happens 100% of the time.

Strangely enough, there appears to me some interaction with the window
mananger. Under KDE and WindowMaker it recovers after a few seconds,
but under fvwm it doesn't. I wrote a script which allows me to shut
down gracefully from my Pilot in that event since everything else is
still running.

I am always suspecting a video memory problem - perhaps something is
getting out of bounds? Holes in the memory map not correctly hanled?
Control memory overwritten? Anyone?

--
=============================== cut here ======================================
Joachim Thiemann                            joachim"at"ece"dot"concordia"dot"ca

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RealPort Cardbus ethernet 10/100+modem 56 on a TP 770E
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 16:41:12 GMT

I finally got Red Hat 5.2 installed on my Think Pad 770E and was wundering
how to get my network card working.  During the setup I chose not to set up
networking since I really didnt know what to do. Now that I got everything
pretty much working right...I would like to be able to use my network card
when I am booted to linux here at work.  I booted to win95 and got the irq
for the card and stuff...which is 11 by the way.  I also got my i.p. address
and info for the win95 side of the TP to use when i am booted up to linux and
I pretty much know where it goes..i think.  The i.p. is 1.1.195.165...subnet
is 255.255.0.0....Gateway is 1.1.11.11..and DNS server is 1.1.11.251.  I
fired up control panel and went to the network applet and filled out what I
thought went where.  The machine name is yield and domain is nmhs.net.  Any
help on this would be helpful too.