  bttv and wintv problems (James Taggart)

From: jim holder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux.caldera
Subject: Re: Format disk
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 14:31:33 -0400

Joshua Li wrote:

> I have two HDs, one is 6.4 G Win95 disk, the other (4.3G, w/ COL) has
> three partition, due to an installation problem, I had to delete
> /dev/hdb1/ under DOS fdisk.
> How can you format partition /dev/hdb1 without destroy the data on hdb3?
>
> --
> Joshua Li
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> -----
> Nothing is impossible for a man who doesn't do it himself.

mkfs.ext2 /dev/hdb1

------------------------------

From: Abdullah Ramazanoglu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux.caldera
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 20:40:14 +0300

Joshua Li wrote:

> I have two HDs, one is 6.4 G Win95 disk, the other (4.3G, w/ COL) has
> three partition, due to an installation problem, I had to delete
> /dev/hdb1/ under DOS fdisk.
> How can you format partition /dev/hdb1 without destroy the data on hdb3?

What filesystem was on the /dev/hdb1 and /dev/hdb3 ?
If you have deleted a filesystem belonging to linux, you will have to
reinstall linux. If you have private (non-linux) data on /dev/hdb3 and
want to save its contents during reinstall, just as a thought :

1. Boot from boot/root diskette(s) which has a kernel with vfat support
embedded,
2. Create /mnt/mydata and /mnt/myw95 directories,
3. Mount /dev/hdb3 and /dev/hda? (w95 partn) to /mnt/mydata (as ext2)
and /mnt/myw95 (as vfat) respectively,
4. Copy everything in /mnt/mydata to /mnt/myw95,
5. Reinstall linux, enable vfat support, mount your w95 disk under
linux,
6. Copy everything back.

HTH
--
Abdullah Ramazanoglu    [ aramazanoglu AT demirbank DOT com DOT tr ]

------------------------------

From: Abdullah Ramazanoglu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Modem dialing automatically!?
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 21:10:46 +0300

Bill Smith wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am attempting to set up a new USRobotics 56k internal modem.  However,
> when I enter the command "setserial /dev/ttyS2 16550A,"  the modem connects
> to the phone line and dials out.  What is going on, and how can I get
> through the rest of the configuration process?
>
> Thanks for your help in advance
>
> Bill Smith

Could it be that modem is set up to auto-dial some number with DTR or
DSR pulse? I'm not sure but setserial might cause reassertion of one of
those lines (while resetting serial port).

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: help wanted with Dual Pentium Board
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 14:47:30 -0400

Barry Schofield wrote:

> I am trying to load Redhat 5.2 on my Dual Pentium II 400Mhz Tyan S1837
> Thunder Bolt Motherboard.
>
> Anyone know if I am wasting my time on this board?
>
> The boot image does not include the Adaptec AIC-7896 dual channel
> Ultra 2 SCSI (on board) in the listing. The bios lists the SCSI on
> bootup that is a IBM SCSI Ch A DGHS09V Ultra2-LVD and CH B
> The Yamaha SCSI CD writer YAM-4416VK CD writer.
>
> I use another CDreader on the IDE secondary, -Primary IDE is Win 95
> Seagate- to load the Linux and even can boot  from the Yamaha on the
> SCSI but when I try to use the SCSI drivers listed the load hangs or
> says disc read only.
>
> Can anyone suggest if Redhat 6.0 can solve the problem and does it
> list the AIC-7896 SCSI driver?
>
> Will either support the Yamaha CD writer?
>
> Where can I load the Red Hat 6.0 from I can't find the directory to
> load at Red Hat.
>
> Barry Schofield
>
> Special offer on the LION ISDN EASY phone and Linux
> Free offer plus a new So-Bus terminaters and multiports
> For the latest info on ISDN check out Lion's web site
> at www.lioncom.net.

Not completely.  you see SMP was not supported until the 2.2.x kernels
and RH 5.2 has 2.0.x kernel.  There are two thing you can do, one is to
download a newer kernel, and the second is to Buy a newer distribution
that uses the 2.2 kernel.

------------------------------

From: Jorge =?iso-8859-1?Q?Serv=E1n=20Jim=E9nez?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SupraExpress 56i PRO Diamond modem ?
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 18:44:55 +0200

    I buy recently a SupraExpress 56i PRO Diamond modem and I can use it
in W9X (i can see the new serial port).

    The problem is that i can`t see the new  serial port in Linux (2.2).

    Is this modem a WinModem ?

    Am I do anything wronfg?

    Suggestions?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carsten Lechte)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux.caldera
Date: 1 Aug 1999 18:49:54 +0200

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Joshua Li <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>three partition, due to an installation problem, I had to delete
>/dev/hdb1/ under DOS fdisk.
>How can you format partition /dev/hdb1 without destroy the data on hdb3?

How can you do anything with it, since you say it is deleted;-)

Anyway, "format" can mean two different things:

Preparing the media surface for the accepting of data
(low-level format, usually not done by the end user, since even
diskettes come pre-formatted these days), which also sets the
raw (non-file system) capacity of the drive. Some programs:
superformat, scsiformat. Partitioning comes after that.

The second meaning is "putting an empty filesystem on a
partition". After that, the partition/disk can be mounted and
files can be accessed on it.  mke2fs, mkdosfs will do that for
you. I think the windows format program with the "quick format"
option does the same. These programs work on partitions, so
installing a linux (ext2fs) filesystem on hdb1 will not affect
hdb3.

In order to re-create hdb1, use fdisk, but do take care not to
alter any information pertaining to the partitions you want to
keep. After that, the partition should be available as
/dev/hdb1 and you can put a file system on it.

HTH, Carsten.
--
Carsten Lechte, student of physics in Kiel, nospam, Germany.

------------------------------

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem w/ Microsoft mouse
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 14:42:58 -0400

margoyle wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am using RH 5.2 with the 2.2 kernel. My mouse (Microsoft Home, serial)
> used to
> work prior to my exchanging the motherboard (Amptron 9600, TXtwo chipset).
> It is now a Soyo 6KL with the Intel 82440LX PCI chipset and a Pentium II
> CPU. I hooked up the mouse to the COM1 port on the board, booted, but it
> doesn't work. Ran mouseconfig
> and tried all the Microsoft types and still nothing. I see the cursor when
> I bring up KDE but it won't move and I don't see what I did differently
> during the board exchange. Tried some RH suggestions but no change.
>
> What am I missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Did you reinstall Linux when you changed your MB?  if you did not try
reinstalling linux.  By changing the MB you might have changes some port
address, IRQ, etc....  Thus Linux must go and get all the info on that
new board.

------------------------------

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux support for Plextor px-w4220ti/sw CD-RW drive?
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 14:39:28 -0400

Nick Dreyer wrote:

> Is there linux support for the Plextor PX-W4220TI/SW CD-RW drive?  At $240,05
> for a 20x/4x/2x Read/Write CD device, I'm sorely tempted to go for it, but
> can't tell if there are linux drivers for it.
>
> I see a "PX-R412 C" and "PleXwriter 412C" listed as supported in the linux
> Hardware HOWTO, so I am wondering, will the PX-w4220TI/SW even be useable as
> plain CD reader under linux?
>
> Look at
>
> http://www.buy.com/comp/product.asp?SKU=10023988
>
> for a rough list of its specs.
>
> Anyone know more about this drive?  Thanks for sharing whatever you can . . .
>
> |\|.

The question is not does linus have drivers for it; the question is do
any of the CD Burning software support that particular drive.  Look @ a
program called X CD Roast, this program supports many CDR drives but the
setup is a little tricky.

------------------------------

From: "Charles Sullivan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: LILO and a 10GB disk???
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 14:45:38 -0400

Michel Catudal wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Phil Cox wrote:
>>
>> RH 5.2
>> Maxtor Ultra 10GB
>> I am having problems getting LILO to write to the boot sector. I get the
>> following error:
>>
>> Warning: device 0x0302 exceeds 1024 cylinder limit
>>
>> Any pointers or help?
>>
>> Phil
>
>If LBA is turned on the 1024 limit is around 8.4G, if not it is
>512MB. You can't boot anything past the 1024 cylinder. Make sure
>that anything that is to be bootable doesn't cross the 1024 cylinder
>boundary, this includes any logical partitions (your extended partition
>must not cross the boundary)
>
>A likely valid installation would be
>this
>
>1- Winblows 98 of whatever size
>2- Ext2 of 15M for /boot
>3- Extended partition with logical partition(s)
>4- Ext2 of 3-4G

There's actually no problem with the extended partition
itself crossing the 1024 cylinder boundary, so long as the
/boot logical partition contained therein is entirely below
this boundary.

------------------------------

From: "Charles Sullivan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Configuring USR 56K Internal Voice Modem
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 14:34:52 -0400

Michael wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>On Thu, 29 Jul 1999, Bill Smith wrote:
>>I recently purchased a new modem, and cannot seem to get it configured
>>properly.  It is an ISA card, and not a winmodem.  I used isapnp tools to
>>set up the serial port, but now I am stuck.  Minicom appears to initialize
>>the modem and doesn't report any errors, but refuses to connect to the
phone
>>line.  When I try to dial out, I can see that the modem is not even
>>accessing the phone line (LEDs on my phone do not light up, indicating the
>>line is not in use).  I also tried pulling my init string out of Windows
and
>>into Minicom, to make sure the modem was being initialized properly, but
no
>>go.  The modem works fine under Windows 98.  Any suggestions?
>>
>>General info:
>>Dual booting Red Hat 5.1 / Win98
>>14 MB RAM
>>X configured and usable
>

>Bill sorry to say this to ya, but it does appear the modem is in fact a
>winmodem, as i had exactly the same issues.  All of the newer USR internal
>modems to the best of my knoweledge are winmodems.  Easy way to tell?  If
it
>says you need a pentium xxxx plus windows9x then its a windmodem
>

>As for a good modem, I currently use the zoom zytel external 33.6k
faxmodem.
>In tests it has proved to be of little speed difference than that other
modem
>under windows. and it only cost me 60 euros.
>
>Best wishs

The original poster mentions "...LEDs on my phone...".  There are
many "system" phones on which NO modem will operate satisfactorally -
you have to have a straight wire to the TelCo line.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pattard)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.laptops
Subject: Advice needed on Gateway 2500SE / Gateway 9150SE
Date: 1 Aug 1999 19:14:42 GMT

Hi,

maybe I should first of all apologize for posting the same message several
times under different titles, but since I want to ask for information about
several different models I thought this would be the easiest way to attract
the attention of owners of the various notebooks....

As the subject says, I would appreciate some advice from all you wizards out
there. Background: I am intending to buy a notebook and in the first round I
came up with several models (basically I chose one or two from different
companies that seem to fit my ideas of what it should do, e.g. I don't need
extensive multimedia features, DVD, the absolutely fastest processor on the
market,...)
Having made these first round picks, I would highly appreciate any input from
you (unfortunately I'm a completely clueless newbie myself, so please be
patient...). If you happen to own one of those models or a similar one or have
some experiences, I would be very happy to hear about it: Can you recommend it
or not (what instead?)? What to look out for? ....

While I would be glad to get ANY input on those notebooks, an equally important
aspect is the following: I am used to using Unix on workstations, so I plan to
run Linux on it (to be precise I have to confess to the purists that I would
run both Linux and Windows in parallel...), so if you happen to own one of
those models and run Linux on it, you are the (wo)man! I would be VERY happy
if I would hear from you ('forget it, it won't run' is of course not a welcome
message, but equally important!).
Note before I get 100 RTFM-messages: I am aware that there is a website where
hints on installing Linux on specific machines are collected and I will look at
those, but often they are written for experts ('downloaded the x.y.z kernel
v0.34 from ...'), a little more basic and personal recommendations for someone
who never before installed a Linux system ('watch out for this', 'get the
zzz-distribution', 'everything will run fine but don't buy a modem from ...')
would be very very helpful.

Now finally, here comes the list of first round choices. As said before, I
basically picked one or two models from different companies that are in the
price range I consider (to be honest the IBM seems a bit too pricy for me, it's
in the list because a friend of mine never stops telling me that they were the
best on the market...) Apart from what I wrote below, I would like to have a
modem (a:clueless question: will an american modem work with the european phone
system when I go back? b:I am prepared that this will often only work under
windows, not with Linux), a network card with both twisted pair and BNC out
(which card will work under Linux?), and at least minimal support when in a
year from now I will take the notebook over to europe and use it there.

A) Toshiba Satellite 4020
Pent.II 300, 13.3 TFT, 64 MB RAM, 6.4 GB HD
B) Toshiba Satellite 2590CDS
Celeron 400, 13.0 Dual Screen, 64, 6.4
C) Dell Inspiron 3500
Celeron 366, 14.1 TFT, 64, 6.4
D) IBM TP 390E
PII 300, 14.1 TFT, 64, 4.3
E) Sony VAIO PCGF250CTO2
Celeron 366, 13 XGA, 96, 4.3
F) Compaq Presario 1600
AMD K6II 380, 14.1 XGA, 64, 6.4
G) Gateway Solo 2500 SE
PII 333, 13.3 Active M, 64, 6.4
H) Gateway Solo 9150SE
PII 333, 15.1, 64, 6.4

Now, if you made it through this whole posting without getting impatient, I
would really like to hear from you!

Thanks in advance!
Thomas

Thomas Pattard                           |
University of Tennessee                  | email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Department of Physics                    | Voice: 001-423-974-9865
401 Nielsen Physics Building             | Fax:   001-423-974-7843
Knoxville, TN 37996-1200, USA            |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Meals)
Subject: HP DDS Tape drive backup
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 18:18:37 GMT

I'm running RedHat 5.2, brought up to kernel version 2.2.9.  SCSI card
is an Adaptec 2742 (VLB), which works fine.  My SCSI chain consists of a
SCSI CD-ROM and an HP DDS drive.  Here's the tape entry from dmesg:
  Vendor: HP        Model: HP35470A          Rev: 8 09
  Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02
(scsi0:0:5:0) Synchronous at 5.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 8.

Whenever I try to backup to the tape drive (cpio, tar, dump), I get a
slew of the following errors, echoed to the screen and syslog:
Aug  1 09:12:04 mozart kernel: st0: Error with sense data: Current error
st09:00: sense key Medium Error
Aug  1 09:12:04 mozart kernel: Additional sense indicates Write error
Aug  1 09:12:04 mozart kernel: st0: Error on write filemark.

This morning I tried to do a dump as root with:
dump 0udsf 61000 196 /dev/nst0 /dev/hda1
... and kept getting through pass III (dump estimated the entire thing
to take 0.72 tapes or something like that), then a prompt to insert the
next volume.  The tape I had was a DDS tape, 60m length (196 ft) --
should hold 1.3 GB, which is enough to backup this machine.  If I told
it "no", it would ask if I'd like to abort the operation.  "Yes" did
pretty much the same thing, but it came back saying it was at the EOT.
An mt -f /dev/nst0 status command confirmed the EOT marker was set.
However, ejecting the tape from the command line (mt -f /dev/nst0
offline), showed the tape completely rewound.  Also, it didn't seem to
be seeking long enough to get to the end of tape.

What else am I missing?  I have to admit, I haven't yet tried it on
another OS.  I might bring it into work Monday and throw it onto one of
the Suns to see what Solaris will do.  I'll keep anyone who's interested
posted.

If anyone else has some other ideas, please pass them along.  TIA.

--
Tim Meals
Systems Engineer

Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 13:56:52 -0500
From: James Taggart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: bttv and wintv problems

I am trying to get the bttv-6.0.3-17.i386.rpm to install, but it
complains that there are deps needed, all of which happen to be
installed. I then tryied bttv-0.5.22-3.i386.rpm which installs but bombs
out during bootup. Any ideas? I am running this on a P2 333 with 320ram
and redhat 6.0.