Linux-Hardware Digest #901, Volume #14           Thu, 14 Jun 01 10:13:09 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Hard Drive Mess !! (Dances With Crows)
  KYRO 2 drivers? ("Mark Vulfson")
  RH 7.1 & failed ppp interface (cfeller)
  Re: Sound Card Locks Up Machine (Rand Simberg)
  Re: Linux X goes away??? ("JT")
  lm_sensors-2.5.5 ("Pavan")
  Re: Creating Raw Devices (Michael Heiming)
  Driver for EPSON Stylus 440/460 ("Tahir Hashmi")
  Re: Cannot open master raw device '/dev/rawctl' (No such device) (Michael Heiming)
  Re: Old 486 and 56k modem (Tony Hague)
  Re: Driver for EPSON Stylus 440/460 (Jef Peeraer)
  Re: Can anyone help me on a best notebook choice (Kristian Schmees)
  Re: Capacity of Dell Server running as a web server? ("Heikki Tuuri")
  Changing from 10 to 100mbs ethernet (Rich Pinder)
  Sound recording (Robert)
  Re: Mikrosekunden in Pixel umrechnen? (Iwo Mergler)
  Re: Lexmark Z52, USB, possible? ("Aetos")
  Re: Changing from 10 to 100mbs ethernet (Iwo Mergler)
  Re: Creating Raw Devices ("Jaishni Govender")
  Re: Asus CUV4X-D linux issue (John-Paul Stewart)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Hard Drive Mess !!
Date: 14 Jun 2001 03:14:49 GMT

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 01:46:45 GMT, Rinaldi J. Montessi staggered into the
Black Sun and said:
>> Boot Linux in some way.  http://www.toms.net/rb/ for the best rescue
>> system you can fit on one floppy.  Then do
>>   dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1
>> ...et voilà, no more partitions of anything.  Replace hda with sda if
>> you're booting from a SCSI disk, of source.  When you use the install CD
>> for any OS, it will detect that the disk is unpartitioned, and start up
>> a partitioning utility so that you can do whatever you want with the
>> free space.
>
>Education time.  Is /dev/zero a legitimate /dev such as /dev/null?  And
>is bs=512 telling it to write to the MBR?  What's count=1 do?

Read The Man Pages.  "man zero ; man dd".

/dev/zero is a perfectly legit device name; it is a character device
that returns 0x00 if read from and discards anything that's written to
it.  The options to dd include:

if=     The file or device to take input from, /dev/zero in the example.
of=     The file or device to write output to.  In the example, this is
        /dev/hda, which means "the first IDE hard disk taken as a unit,
        starting at the MBR."  /dev/hda1 refers to the first partition
        on the first IDE hard disk.
bs=     The block size to use.  512=512 bytes, 1k=1024 bytes, 1M=1024k,
        etcetera.
count=  The number of blocks to read and write

There are a few more, but those are used most often.  The example
command is a computer-parseable way of saying "write zeroes over the
MBR, which will destroy the partition table as well as any resident
bootloader."

There is a wealth of information at http://linuxnewbies.org/ and
http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/ as well as in file:/usr/share/doc/ .

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best
http://www.brainbench.com     /   friend.  Inside of a dog, it's too dark
=============================/    to read.  ==Groucho Marx

------------------------------

From: "Mark Vulfson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: KYRO 2 drivers?
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 03:55:57 GMT

Hi,

I am new to the group so please advise if I ask the question in the wrong
spot... thanks.
Does anyone know when the Linux communitty will see Kyro2 drivers? I could
not find any...

Mark

=========
Modify email address to reply directly

------------------------------

From: cfeller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.ppp,linux.redhat
Subject: RH 7.1 & failed ppp interface
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 21:01:52 -0700

This makes no sense...  have an Pentium 233 MMX processor running on a
VX-98 motherboard w/ 128 MB of RAM.  Modem is a Zoom model 2919
(internal).  The modem works great under Redhat 5.2, 6.2, 7.0, ....
oops~!  Not 7.1  I upgraded both my PC and my laptop to 7.1.  No
problems on the laptop (laptop uses PCMCIA modem), but under the PC, I
get "failed to activate ppp0 with error 6"  What is error 6?

If this is relevant, the motherboard likes to assign the modem to IRQ
10, so I have to setserial /dev/ttyS2 IRQ 10  I did try removing that,
but it did not change the error message.

Please advise.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rand Simberg)
Subject: Re: Sound Card Locks Up Machine
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 04:09:40 GMT

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 00:22:05 GMT, in a place far, far away,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rand Simberg) made the phosphor on my

>I know the card is OK, because I've run it in my W2K machine.
>
>I've looked at /proc/interrupts and /proc/ioports and see no conflicts
>of cmpci with anything else.  What other diagnostics can I do to see
>why sound attempts send the machine off to never-never land?

Never mind.  I upgraded to 2.4.5, installed the card in the kernel,
and the problem disappeared.

Thanks for nothin'     ;-)

--
simberg.interglobal.org  * 310 372-7963 (CA) 307 739-1296 (Jackson Hole)
interglobal space lines  * 307 733-1715 (Fax) http://www.interglobal.org

Replace first . with @ and throw out the "@trash." to email me.
Here's my email address for autospammers: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "JT" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.x,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Linux X goes away???
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 04:30:41 GMT

"J Sloan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> JT wrote:
>
> > Running RH7.0. I never can be assured if Linux is going to come up in X.
> > Sometimes it does and somethings its just a blank black screen. When it
> > doesn't I have to re-install the who OS over again. Running Matrox
Millenium
> > G200 8mgs ram.
>
> bzzt, wrong answer - reinstalling may be the
> windows way of fixing problems, but it's not
> the answer in the Unix world.
>
> Look in the sys logs to find out what is
> making the X server unhappy -
>
> > What confuses me, why would it work sometimes and sometimes not?
>
> Flaky hardware?
>
> the log entries will shed more light.
>
> cu
>
> jjs

bzzt, wrong reply! You loose. Being a newbie, I'm sure the first time you
installed Linux, you  decide to re-install yourself one time or another.

Yes, log entries would be a good thing to post here. No, its not flaky
hardware in this case.

------------------------------

From: "Pavan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: lm_sensors-2.5.5
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 11:15:53 +0530

Hi,

How do I configure lm-sensors to show the right values on a ASUS
A7VI-VM motherboard? I find that the other A7V boards use a asus chip
which is to be used with the w83* driver.

However sensors-detect detects a lm80 on this MB. The values displayed
are totally wrong. Using the via686a driver and i2c-isa, the values
are different but wrong. The w83* driver does not work even with the
force_a9... option.

Please help, I haven't done anything to the conf file. Where do I find
the right configuration for this motherboard? BTW the i2c-viapro
driver is used and it detects ( in /var/log/messages ) a via 596 chip
instead of the 686b chip that I have.

TIA,
Pavan

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 10:56:25 +0200
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Creating Raw Devices

Jaishni Govender wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Can anyone please help or point me in the right direction.  I need info on
> how to create raw devices as I am trying to install oracle parallel server
> on RedHat 6.2.  I can't find any info or documentation on this.  any help
> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanx
> Jaishni

Read:
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt
and 'man mknod', which is the tool you need to create devices.

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: "Tahir Hashmi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Driver for EPSON Stylus 440/460
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 06:35:10 +0530

I want a free driver for EPSON Stylus 440/460 inkjet. Does anyone have an
idea where to get one? (Running on RH 6.2)

--
_________________________________
Tahir Hashmi

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 10:59:53 +0200
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Cannot open master raw device '/dev/rawctl' (No such device)

Sean Marshall wrote:

> After upgrading from the standard redhat 7.0 kernel to kernel 2.2.19 I
> find I cannot access rawdevices such as hard drives.  When I run the raw
>
> -qa command I get the following error message Cannot open master raw
> device '/dev/rawctl' (No such device)

Looks as if you wouldn't have /dev/rawctl.

Read:
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt
and 'man mknod', which is the tool you need to create devices.

However, are you sure /dev/rawctl is a real device and not just
a link to /dev/raw(n), I never saw /dev/rawctl?

Good luck

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tony Hague)
Subject: Re: Old 486 and 56k modem
Date: 14 Jun 2001 09:12:35 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
John Todd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>       No software will fix this for you. Examine the card, if
>you like, to see if 16450 is in a socket;if it is, you could
>change it for a 16550A to handle the high speed.
>       If not, you could change the card for one with

Having been in the same position with an old 486 twice now, I would
say that the 16450 has not been the major problem in my experience.
I have had a direct null-modem connection between on old 486 laptop
(with 16450) and a modern PC using ppp at 115200 baud without
intolerable errors. Admittedly a 16550 would spare the processor a bit.

On my old home PC, with a 16450, I got lots of errors at any baud
rate within reason when connecting to an ISP. Upgrading to a
16550 serial port card didn't fix it. The problem relates to irq's
being masked during access to a (typically very slow) hard disk.
'hdparm -u1' did the trick.

HTH,
        Tony.

From: Jef Peeraer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Driver for EPSON Stylus 440/460
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 12:43:02 +0200

Tahir Hashmi wrote:

> I want a free driver for EPSON Stylus 440/460 inkjet. Does anyone have an
> idea where to get one? (Running on RH 6.2)
>
> --
> _________________________________
> Tahir Hashmi
> http://tahirhashmi.scriptmania.com
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> _________________________________

See the Xwtools/print utilities

http://xwtools.automatix.de/english/overview.htm

Jef

------------------------------

From: Kristian Schmees <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: Can anyone help me on a best notebook choice
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 12:57:52 +0200

Hello,

i run SuSE Linux on an Armada 500.
It is a fine machine, Linux runs good.

But one hint: There is yet no way to adjust the display brightness under
Linux.. Adjustment can only be done by a Windows-Program (by Software!).
I have searched a lot with a friend and also i am a little bit disappionted
of Compaq's way to not be interested in that problem.

regards
Kristian

(...)

------------------------------

From: "Heikki Tuuri" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Capacity of Dell Server running as a web server?
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 11:14:23 GMT

Steve,

Steve Wolfe wrote in message <1cd8g9.8b2.ln@helix>...

>> are you talking from your own experience, when you say that 'MySQL
>> performance really sucks'
>
>  I didn't say that.  You took a small snippet of a sentence, paraphrased
>it, put it in quotes as if it really were what I had said, then used that
>out of context.
>
>> and 'only PostgreSQL scales'?
>
>  Again, I didn't say that.  You took another part of my statement, highly
>paraphrased it, used it out of context, and again tried to attribute it to
>me.

below I have pasted the full quote from you:
2.  MySQL only does well with three or fewer simultaneous connections,
above that, it's performance really sucks.  (see www.greatbridge.com for
benchmarking performance under various numbers of connections.)
PostgreSQL is the only DBMS out of MySQL, MS SQL, and Oracle that truly
can scale efficiently, and in a web-serving environment, it's very common
to have many simultaneous queries running.

>> Below are the numbers one user of MySQL/InnoDB posted for his
>application
>> running on a 2-CPU Dell server:
>
>(snip)
>
>> These were taken at 3:22 am on a Monday morning, in the afternoon we
>> peek at 200 threads and 950 Queries per second!! Not to shabby for a
>> MySQL server running a 4.4 GB database with a few million rows!
>
>  It's too bad that you only gave numebrs on MySQL, which doesn't allow us
>to make any direct comparisons to other DBMS systems.

I do not have the numbers for other databases. He is running on
MySQL/InnoDB.

>> >   Assuming a little bit of DB work, but not terribly complex queries,
>you
>> >should be able to do at least 150,000 hits per day.  If the DB work is
>>
>> The above numbers I pasted translate to 25 million DB queries per day,
>> and that is not close to the maximum capacity.
>
>     You're either confused.  I was talking about web-serving hits, you
>were talking about queries.  Apples to oranges.

Again a full quote from you:
   That being said, the ultimate capacity will, of course, depend on what
you're serving.  If you're serving out nothing but flat files, I'm sure
that you could fill a 100 mbit line, handling tens to hundreds of millions
of hits per day.  If you're doing any sort of CGI, that number drops
dramatically, and if you're also doing DB work, that number also drops
very dramatically.

   Assuming a little bit of DB work, but not terribly complex queries, you
should be able to do at least 150,000 hits per day.  If the DB work is
more complex, that will drop.   As you reach the capacity of the machine

Clearly you are saying that the database is the bottleneck. 150 000 hits
per day is only 2 hits per second on the average. You should try your
application on MySQL/InnoDB if the PostgreSQL is such a bottleneck
for your application.

>  Besides, even if I assumed that the two were equal (which they certainly
>aren't), comparing his numbers to the numbers of anyone else is flawed at
>best.
>
>> MySQL/InnoDB seems to scale well at least to 200 connections.
>> I have posted at my website http://www.innodb.com benchmarks against
>> PostgreSQL 7.1.1 and a market-leading database. Simple join speed
>> in MySQL/InnoDB-3.23.39 is over 10 times larger than in PostgreSQL
>7.1.1.
>
>   Your "benchmarking" test makes me laugh.  It embodies all that is foul
>in the MySQL benchmarts that I've seen.
>
>  You chose two isolated cases, choosing only those where MySQL has an
>advantage.  Furthermore, at least one of the two does NOT isolate the fact
>or that you are trying to benchmark.  You did not give any information
>about configuration or tuning.  In short, your benchmarks are unreliable.

These are CPU-bound benchmarks. Could you advise me how one tunes
these better? I used the default parameters of PostgreSQL except that I
increased the shared cache size to 24 MB and the log buffer to 4 MB.
For MySQL/InnoDB you can use the parameters specified in the InnoDB
manual. As long as the magnitude of the buffer pool and the log buffer
are about what I said on my benchmark page, they will run in about the
same time.

>  Perhaps, in the future, you could perform tests in a fashion closer to
>how Great Bridge did - when MySQL appeared like it truly did suck, they
>let the MySQL folks come and tune and configure it optimally - after which
>it did much, much better, and was a lot closer to what a person could
>expect in the real world.

I would be very pleased if someone who knows PostgreSQL well would
run these benchmarks and tune them optimally. I will post his results to
my website. It is of course best that benchmarks are run by an
independent party. Could you do it? You can also add your own tests.
No need to restrict yourself to pure insert and join performance.

The Great Bridge benchmarks have exactly the flaws you are criticizing:
they did not post the configuration parameters to their website,
but only say that they used the 'default parameters' of two databases
whose names they do not disclose. They tuned PostgreSQL but
did not tune the other databases. They are calling one of their benchmarks
"TPC-C", though the test setting does not conform to the TPC
specifications. They only posted results from one AS3AP benchmark,
though it contains a whole suite of simple benchmark tests.

>     MySQL does have it's merits.  It's too bad that it's proponants so
>often use faulty testing methodology to promote it.

It would be very nice if you could correct this testing methodology
by running the tests yourself. They are very simple and it takes only
10 minutes from you to run them once you have MySQL/InnoDB-3.23.39
installed. I would also be very pleased to hear how your web application
scales on MySQL/InnoDB.

>steve

Regards,

Heikki

------------------------------

From: Rich Pinder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: Changing from 10 to 100mbs ethernet
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 05:43:11 -0700

RH 7.0
Intel SBT2 system board with an integrated Intel Express card.
Originally set up the box using a 10 mbs connection to our network
(assume the speed/params were auto sensed from the RedHat install)  Now
I've got it connected to the 100mbs wire.

I've looked at  ifconfig  (and a few other places!) and don't see what
parameter I need to change to get the 100 mb speed.  Also may need to
set the card to  full duplex also.  Found the  /etc/modules.conf &
eepro100.o file that seem to point to the issues.  But can't figure how
to modify these,

any thoughts ?

thanks

rich pinder

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert)
Subject: Sound recording
Date: 14 Jun 2001 06:01:20 -0700

My computer has Intel SE440BX mother board with Yamaha YMF740 PCI
onboard sound.
In RedHat 7.1 (kernel 2.4.2), sound recording doesn't work (using
GNOME sound recorder). When using 16-bit pcm, only silence is recorded
and in 8-bit, recorded sound quality is poor (noisy and interrupted).
It is the same when recording with dd command from /dev/dsp device.
However, playback works without problems. Mixer was correctly set to
microphone source.

I tried with newer kernel (2.4.5) and different configurations, but it
was always the same.
I'm using ymfpci kernel driver for sound card.

In windows, recording works fine and in good quality.

Can anyone help me?

Regards,
Robert

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 14:12:04 +0100
From: Iwo Mergler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mikrosekunden in Pixel umrechnen?

Hans-Joachim Zierke wrote:

> Hi,
>
> mein Modeline-Errechner möchte folgende Angaben:
>
>  Front porch    pixels
>  Sync pulse     pixels
>  Back porch     pixels
>
> Ich habe aber keine Pixel, sondern
>
>  front porch - 0.942 usec.
>  Sync - 1.88 usec.
>  back porch - 1.88 usec.
>
> Wie übersetze ich?
>
> hajo

Modeline "1280x1024" 153.35     1280 1296 1552 1736 1024 1024 1039 1070
          Name       Pixeltakt  Timing...

1 Pixel = 1 / (Pixeltakt [MHz]) us

Iwo

------------------------------

From: "Aetos" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Lexmark Z52, USB, possible?
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 13:13:52 GMT

Hi,

Exactly what "fiddling" did you have to do with lpd?  I had the z52 set up
on my Debian machine with a 2.2.18 kernel and after several botched attempts
to get WP8 to recognize the printer, I lost the printer altogether and I
suspect I did something to lpd.  As far as I can tell from dmesg,  all the
requisite usb drivers are being loaded to support /dev/usb/lp0 and the
lexmark drivers are installed. I do know that in order to send raw data to
the printer, I needed to make a separate printcap entry "z52-outfiles" which
I have done and there are no spaces or tab entries.
 I can send alignment and cartridge instructions to the printer only,
nothing else.  When I run lpc status, I get "queueing enabled, printing
enabled, no entries, no daemon present".  I believe I should not be seeing
"no daemon present", rather "printer ready and printing" when I send a
document to the queue. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Don Nash

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 14:16:12 +0100
From: Iwo Mergler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Changing from 10 to 100mbs ethernet

Rich Pinder wrote:

> RH 7.0
> Intel SBT2 system board with an integrated Intel Express card.
> Originally set up the box using a 10 mbs connection to our network
> (assume the speed/params were auto sensed from the RedHat install)  Now
> I've got it connected to the 100mbs wire.
>
> I've looked at  ifconfig  (and a few other places!) and don't see what
> parameter I need to change to get the 100 mb speed.  Also may need to
> set the card to  full duplex also.  Found the  /etc/modules.conf &
> eepro100.o file that seem to point to the issues.  But can't figure how
> to modify these,
>
> any thoughts ?
>
> thanks
>
> rich pinder

The card can autosense the speed and will switch automatically.
There should be no difference on the software side...

Iwo

------------------------------

From: "Jaishni Govender" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:30:02 +0200

Hi,

Thanks for the help!

I managed to link the raw devices to the block devices ok using mknod. I am
having problems with the number of raw devices that I can create. I have
logical partitions hda1 to hda17...but the hda17 block device is not created
in /dev. I can see it when I use fdisk but not in the /dev directory. So
when I type in the following:

$ mknod /dev/redo2_2.log c 162 13

$ raw /dev/redo2_2.log /dev/hda17

I get that the file hda17 does not exist.

In fact anything above hda16 created in fdisk is not created in /dev.

Can you perhaps help again please?

Thanx

Jaishni

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: John-Paul Stewart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Asus CUV4X-D linux issue
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 18:45:51 -0400

Mikkel Mandrup wrote:

[posted and mailed due to recent problems with posting...one
or the other should get there]

> Hi I have a Asus CUV4X-D motherboard, there's working great under windows
> (ME, NT & 2000), but if I try to install Any of the bigger linux
> distributions I'm getting 3 errors.

I'm running the CUV4X-DLS (same as yours plus onboard LAN
and SCSI).  Linux is the only thing running on it.

> The first look like this "Unknown bridge expects transparant" and then it
> continues to load Linux so I don't think it's a big problem.

Haven't seen that.

> The second  says "Unknown IO-APIC" and then the computer stops, I have found
> out that this error can be solved by changing the value from "MPS-1.4 to
> MPS-1.1" compliance in the bios but would hear if anybody knew a workaround
> on this without changing the value to 1.1

Heard about this problem.  I haven't even bothered trying
MPS-1.4.

> The third says "Can't reserve int 0 to eth0" which results in my network
> doesn't work, and I have tried with different network cards in different PCI
> slots without any difference at all.

My onboard ethernet works fine as does my tulip-based PCI
card.  Both interfaces work quite well simultaneously.

> So maybe someone could tell me how to get linux to run on this computer.
>
> Thanks
>
> Mikkel

So, can you provide more info about which linux distros you
tried?  What kernel versions?  I'm using a custom 2.4.5
kernel compiled on a different linux box, tweaked with
options for the CUV4X-DLS with no trouble.

Without more info I can't tell you why my setup works and
yours doesn't.  The motherboards are (AFAIK) identical aside
from the added Intel 82559 ethernet and LSI 53C1010 SCSI
chips.  Yours should work.

J-P Stewart