From: "Gerard van Ommen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux patch for IBM 386 enhanced memory adapter
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 12:34:26 +0100

Dear everyone,

I've got a enhanced 386 memory adapter for IBM MCA machines. There should be
a patch for linux for these adapters. I can't seem find the patch. I know it
is a horrible one, but now i can throw them away for linux.

Please help me !!!!!

Greatings mr. Van Ommen

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank Hahn)
Subject: Re: HP 8100 CD-RW
Date: 21 Jan 1999 13:23:27 GMT

On 20 Jan 1999 19:17:55 -0600, K. B. Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I am using [HP 8100 CD-RW] by xcdroast. After writing on a RW-CD, I can
>mount it on that CD, but not on other CD drives.
>Is this natural or is something wrong? I wanted to be able to read it from
>other CD drives.

How old is your CD-ROM drive?  I don't think many, if any, can read
a CD-RW disk created in a CD-RW drive.  If you make a CD-R disk, then
I would think you should have very few problems unless you have a really
old CD-ROM drive.  I have made several music CD's and they have played
in CD players several years old.  I think it has something to do with
the reflectivity of the dyes used to make the CD-RW disks.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

--
Frank Hahn

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gabor)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.misc,comp.emacs,comp.editors
Subject: Re: Linux keyboard? (For emacs use)
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 13:28:39 GMT

In comp.editors, Erik Naggum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote :
#
#   it seems to escape people's attention that they _don't_ receive business
#   letters from me, they _don't_ receive articles for publication, they
#   _don't_ receive documentation, and they _don't_ read my books -- yet they
#   behave as if they do, although what they _actually_ do receive is USENET
#   postings and possibly e-mail.  none of these people bother to ask me
#   whether I upheld the same principle everywhere, they just _assume_ I do.
#
#   when people can't attack you for what you actually do, but first have to
#   _tell_ you what you do, and then attack _that_, you have done _nothing_

You did precisely that when you asserted, erroneously, that I am a
right wing religious fanatic.

You, sir, contradict yourself.  You aren't even worth bothering with.
Have fun in your self-righteous fantasy world.

PLONK!

#   wrong.  a accusation made in the absence of evidence is sufficient reason
#   to dismiss all other accusations from the same source, because evidence
#   was obviously not part of the motivation for attacking.

------------------------------

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: lp not configured -- parallel printer problems
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 16:45:57 -0700

I have a HP dj400c printer and had a bit of time getting it to print
other than ascii.  I had 3 configuration problems:
1)  I didn't have ghostscript installed.
2)  I was using the HP 400/500/.... printer driver that came with my
RH5.1 edition (what a mistake!)
3)  I also neglected to edit my /etc/printcap file to point to the
new/correct driver I downloaded (magicfilter-1.2)
Note:  I used  the <printtool> utility which automatically writes my
/etc/printcap file.

Anyway, I took care of all 3 of these problems and I can now print from
any appilication in Linux.
Hopes this helps.
cul8er, Jeff

------------------------------

From: Olivier BOEBION <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ASUS Labtop: SMI 910 Graphic card and Xfree86 ?
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 14:40:07 +0100

Is somebody knows if the SMI 910 graphic card works under Xfree86 ? This
card is provided by ASUSTEK Allegro labtop.

TIA

--
Olivier BOEBION

<----------------------------------------------------------------->
        Laboratoire de Mathématiques et Physique Théorique

Universite F. RABELAIS de TOURS
Departement de PHYSIQUE                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Parc de Grandmont 37200 TOURS           Tel:02-47-36-69-12
<----------------------------------------------------------------->

------------------------------

From: Parivallal Kannan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: sndconfig and the SB PCI128
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 12:50:59 -0500

Timothy Farley wrote:

> Hello, I am running RedHat5.2 , When I run sndconfig and it detects my modem
> it trys to use it as if it were an es1370 chipset, this plays sound, but the
> playback rate is slooooow, almost too slow to understand what is being said!
> The worst part, when I try to configure my card manually in sndconfig as the
> proper es1371, it says device or resource busy (but fuser -v /dev/dsp
> doesn't show anything using it) at boot time, my computer recognizes it as a
> es1370, which is WRONG, any ideas? please email me if you think you can
> help.
>
> Thanks in advance
> - Tim -

Hi,

The default drivers that come with Redhat 5.2 dont work well with SB PCI128. I
had a tough time trying to get it work. But still Realplayer wont work. Finally
went to ALSA drivers. http://alsa.jcu.cz/
Get the latest drivers from their ftp site and it works like a magic. Even
realplayer works fine. ALSA recognises PCI128 as AudioPCI.

- Pari .

------------------------------

From: Daniele Bernardini <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: No 16bpp with >16mb ram?
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 14:47:23 +0100

John David Bowden wrote:

> I need some help with this one - according to the Linux Gazette (ie. Gospel), if I
>have an
> ISA bus, and more than 16megs of physical ram, then I definitely can't run X higher
>than
> 8bpp.  Does this make sense??  Even if it does, is there any way to fix it?
>
> John
>
> --
> Clones are people two.
> John Bowden                             Memorial University of Newfoundland

Well I have 128M and an ISA bus with a SB64 plugd in
and I'm currently running XSVGA at 1280x1024x32bit...

Daniele

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Winmodem or no??
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 16:56:48 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox) wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Burger) writes:

> > IMO, a 56K or slower modem in a 33MHz PCI slot is an incredible waste
> > of resources.
>
> Not as "incredible" a waste as an empty PCI slot.  What if your serial
> ports are full of mice, digital cameras, palmpilot cradles, etc?  You
> external modem people must really enjoy diagnosing modem problems.

Agreed, being able to use the PCI slot is useful if everything else is full.
But from what I have seen, you simply CAN'T use PCI modems with Linux because
PCI modems are Winmodems (IOW, not really a modem at all).  I've tried.  I
have a brand-new Zoom 56k v.90 PCI modem in the box that I just converted
from Win95 to Red Hat 5.1.  Absolutely can't get the damn thing to work.  Are
you aware of any PCI modems that work under LINUX?  I've also tried an ISA
PnP modem and haven't had luck with it either.  I'm just going to bite the
bullet and get a US Robotics Courier external and be done with it.

-Dave (a LINUX newbie)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brian D. May)
Subject: Re: HP Deskjet 710C
Date: 22 Jan 1999 18:00:50 GMT

Remco Groeneweg ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: I bought a so called "windows only" printer, the HP Deskjet 710C, and I want
: to use it on my LAN through SAMBA. Having SAMBA installed, having created a
: Printershare (the share is visible through my network environment box), the
: windows machines can't communicate with the printer. Even a raw ascii page
: through lpr doesn't work......
: Does anyone have experience with this?

I bought an HP 710C, returned it immediately when I discovered it was
a "windows only" printer.  I have no idea about SAMBA, so can't help
there.  Check out http://www.rpi.edu/~normat/technical/ppa/index.html
for information on the protocol used with the 710/712/720/722
printers.

Brian

--
Brian May
Department of Oceanography              email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Pierre Laffitte" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HP 2000CN printer
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 18:57:32 +0100

Is the HP 2000CN printer compatible with Linux, specialy with the HP system
to share it?

Thank you for your response.

Pierre from France

------------------------------

From: Sven Utcke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.misc,comp.emacs,comp.editors
Date: 22 Jan 1999 17:53:18 +0100

Erik Naggum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> * Sven Utcke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> | Although I can't say that I agree with you:
>
>   I like that start.  thank you.

You're welcome.

> | a) In English, so few words are capitalised at all, that it makes the
> |    whole thing rather pointless.
>
>   well, we capitalize proper names.

Is this the Norwegian or the English we?

>   German has a wider and different use
>   of capitalization and I'd argue that it's time for you to drop the
>   initial capital in all nouns, too.

As do many Germans.  It is however easy to come up with examples (in
German) which are very hard to understand or highly ambiguous without
proper capitalisation.  It seems that due to it's long history of
making extensive use of capitalisation, German in it's present form
can not easily be modified to do away with capitals.

>   Norwegian used to do that, but it's
>   like several generations ago.
>
> | b) I believe that having capital letters at the beginning of sentences
> |    makes for a rather valuable visual guide in reading.
>
>   I hope it makes you happy that automatic conversion to sentence-initial
>   capitals is fairly easy with proper punctuation of sentences,

Unfortunately it can not (unless you always use a full stop followed by
one space for abbreviations and followed by two spaces for sentence
endings, as most Emacs-users have learned to do).  Thus the need for
"\ " and "\@" in TeX.

>   and that I
>   do this before producing hard-copy,

This would certainly make me happy if I had to read any of it.

Although you are right that the use of both punctuation _and_ capitals
to mark the border between two sentences is highly redundant (ignoring
the problem with abbreviations for a moment), I still think it makes a
valuable aid when reading.  You convention can of course be understood
too, but it just takes that little bit of extra time.  A bit like
reading a long text written in a type without serifs (sp?).

> | But then, this is a free world...
>
>   and it will remain so only as long as people are allowed to disagree...

Well said.

Sven
--
 _       _   Lehrstuhl fuer Mustererkennung und Bildverarbeitung
| |_ __ | |__                                                        Sven Utcke
| | '  \| '_ \   phone:      +49 761 203 8274                   Am Flughafen 17
|_|_|_|_|_.__/   fax  :      +49 761 203 8262           79110 Freiburg i. Brsg.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~utcke

------------------------------

From: Marco Anglesio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Pentium Pro or Pentium II for signal processing?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 16:57:44 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc John Burton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ummm...thought the celeron & xeon had the same core as the Pentium, but
> differed in the amount and location of L2 cache...

As the PII, I believe, but differed in amount of L2 cache.

> Also...thought the PPro only went up to 200MHz (at least according to
> the Intel docs I've been reading...

That is, I think, a function of the manufacturing process used rather than
the core design. A finer manufacturing process will use less power and
produce less heat, allowing you to clock faster. However, we are also
approaching the point where crosstalk will become a problem (not to
mention that with X-ray lithography, there is a hard limit to the
resolution of any process - the wavelength of the X-ray).

The manufacturing process actually changed midway through the PII line, so
that's why you have two distinct series of processors with differing clock
speed ranges. The Xeon is a third change, I think, although it might be a
mere change in configuration and amount of L2 cache.

marco

--
Marco Anglesio                                    Like Captain Idiot
mpa at the-wire dot com                 in Astounding Science comics

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9=20Ure=F1a?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.kernel,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: K6-400 "kernel paging request" errors
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 13:46:05 -0500

==============E52B3D894F2513BB9980A4C4

When using Heat Tranfer compound (grease), remember to remove any excess from
the sides and walls of the heat sink. (the Radiator)
The compound tends to collect dust and turns into a kind of insulator that
prevents the heat from excaping the heat sink.

"David R. Bergstein" wrote:

> Larry wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 20 Jan 1999 08:13:13 -0500, David R. Bergstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> > >If it helps at all, I am also seeing similar paging request errors under
> > >linux 2.0.36 with an AMD K6-200 and 128MB RAM.  I will need to change
> > >my syslog.conf to obtain a dump next time it happens (will post).
> > >
> > I was getting this type of error with a cyrix p166 and finally took the
> > processor fan off and cleaned it and the fins and put it back together and
> > VOILA, it's been working famously ever since.
>
> That is very interesting - I did use a high quality heat sink grease
> when I installed the heat sink / CPU fan unit, but that was over a year
> & 1/2 ago.  I may try what you suggest.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - David
>
> --
> David R. Bergstein
> Systems Engineer and Blues Musician
> Rockville, MD
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> SE & Blues Musician Home Page   Heart of Blue - Playin' the Blues for
> You!
> http://www.erols.com/dbergst    http://heartofblue.com

==============E52B3D894F2513BB9980A4C4

When using Heat Tranfer compound (grease), remember to remove any excess
from the sides and walls of the heat sink. (the Radiator)
that prevents the heat from excaping the heat sink.
under
to change
the
and
year
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
the Blues for
href="http://www.erols.com/dbergst">http://www.erols.com/dbergst</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

From: "Christopher Cox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Tape Compatibility - DittoMax - NOT!
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 14:23:16 GMT

Well the IOMEGA DittoMax is not friendly with ftape. Next attempt will be
with the IOMEGA 2Gig Ditto Drive.

Christopher Cox

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Witte)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,nf.comp.linux
Subject: Re: Cirrus 5424 @ 16bpp?
Date: 22 Jan 1999 17:30:36 GMT

Man erinnere sich an [EMAIL PROTECTED] :
>In article <7872e4$4ah$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John David Bowden) wrote:
>> [ snipped : the CLGD 542X 16 bpp Problem ]
>> I even tried appending "mem=16M" to LILO, but that didn't help.
>
>I've been working on a driver for the CLGD5434 for about a year.  I have a
>486/33 with 64MB ram and I hit the same problem as you.  My solution was to
>start working on a repacement driver.  It should be ready sometime towards the
>summer if you're not in a big hurry:)

There exists an inofficial kernel-patch for 2.0.32 at linuxhq that
reserves the memory region in question. I tried it on my CLGD
5428 but did not succeed, maybe I  gave up too early ...

I have found hints on that patch on dejanews, but could not find the
particular postings later on. Two or three of them claimed they
had been successful.

Maybe you'd like to try that one for yourself.

--
maZ                   PGP Key: finger [EMAIL PROTECTED]

For your penance, say five Hail Marys and one loud BLAH!

------------------------------

From: d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.modems
Date: 21 Jan 1999 06:38:21 -0800

Peter Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> External modem is by far the simplest solution of them
> all. Personally I can't understand why anyone would want to have an
> internal modem in the first place.  They waste internal slots, and
> for what purpose???  We all know the addium [sum?] "works as fast as
> the slowest component",

We don't all know this, and it is not even always true.

> so then why put and I quote from Mike here "a 56K or slower modem in
> a 33MHz PCI slot is an incredible waste of resources".

There are many unstated assumptions in your post.  For example, that
convenience and aesthetics (fewer wires) are unimportant.  That power
outlets and desk space is unimportant.  And it is not important to
save money.  And finally, that no one who doesn't have at least your
understanding of the situation deserves to use a modem.  You will have
to adapt if you want to survive long into the age of information
appliances.
--
David Fox           http://hci.ucsd.edu/dsf             xoF divaD
UCSD HCI Lab                                         baL ICH DSCU

------------------------------

From: Stephen Jenuth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Want Linux bogomips numbers for Intel PII-450
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.intel,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.arch,alt.os.linux
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 15:02:47 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware Chris Ebenezer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: Simon Kinahan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
: : If you were right, you might have a point, but you aren't, so you
: : don't. My AMD K6-2 300 (and every equivalent machine I have seen) gives
: : just under 300 bogomips. AMD chips have superior integer performance to

: Which just goes to show how bogus bogomips are when used as a measure of
: performance.

: I have an AMD K6-2 300MHz which gives me a bogomips rating of 399.95

Even worse, my K6-2 300 MHz reports the following in /proc/cpuinfo

model name: K6-2 (PR233 - PR333)
cpu MHz: 300.720951
bogomips: 599.65

Sometimes I really wonder what is being measured. The system runs
linux 2.1.130

Best regards,

Stephen Jenuth
([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Joseph Bullen)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,nf.comp.linux
Date: 21 Jan 1999 14:45:15 GMT

John David Bowden ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: It has enough Video RAM (1meg) to go up to 800x600@16bit, which is how I'd
: like to run it.  But according to the X docs, it says if I have a Cirrus
: 5424 in an ISA slot, and more than 16megs of system RAM, I can't run the
: card higher than 8bit.
: I even tried appending "mem=16M" to LILO, but that didn't help.
: Any suggestions?
: John

Hi, John,

I'm not sure this applies, since my card is a 5465 AGP, (I think the
chipsets are similar, though) but I've had some problems running in higher
that 8 bpp, too.  You might want to try some (or all) of the following
options in your XF86Config file, under the Device section for your video
card:

Option "sw_cursor"
Option "xaa_no_color_exp"
Option "no_bitblt"
Option "no_accel"  #might be "noaccel" not sure right now.

Keep in mind that this will make your XServer CRAWL, but it's only really
noticable when your moving windows and pop-up windows.  BTW, this is under
version 3.3.2-2 of XF86.

BTW, my problem before adding these lines was that certain things (mainly
pop-up menus) would lock up the server completely, ie I had to hit the
reset switch on the machine.  If it sounds familiar, the fix above just
might work.

Speaking of upgrades, ;> does anyone know of a brand-name video card which
*screams* under X?

Joe Bullen
|Every moment of life         |"If there's a glory in miracles,|jbullen    |
| is a fork in the road.      | it's that they're reversible." |@ucs.mun.ca|
|In a world where common sense|-The Tragically Hip,            |Small Stuff|
| is no longer common,        | _Titanic Terrarium_            |  Matters  |
| is hard to do.              |[EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] |