  Re: UDMA33 hard drive runs at 6 megs/second - WTF? (Steve Ponsford)

From: westprog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?)
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 12:28:37 GMT

In article <7hek5k$pci$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Ahhh... isn't that the way that Linux is being put together?
>
> Except not by companies.
> :I agree that all OSes are somewhat idiotic. Almost everything is
built by one one
> :vendor sent to the customer as a giant piece of code.
> :
> :I would be nice if an OS could be broken into several major
> :components that
> :follow the specifications. Each component could then be developed by
> :a different
> :company. Finally, all the components could be stitched together to
> :form an OS.
> :This is the way hardware is built. Why not software too?

Here is what I would like to see happen: A small company designs an OS
using an object model. All the components of the system are objects with
fixed interfaces. The OS is given away free. Other companies are free to
replace any objects in the system as they wish, so long as they don't
change the interfaces. If they market their own version of the OS, the
will pay the original company a small licensing fee. They are allowed to
add interfaces to the objects, and to add new objects. A Linux type
culture of open source, free software would be encouraged, but not to
the exclusion of people who want to make money. A standards committee
would adjudicate as to which extensions to the system would become
standard. Making an extension standard would mean that its original
implementation would be given away freely with the system.

I can see a lot of ways in which this picture could go wrong, but if
done right, I think it could work.

--

J.

From: Ignacio E Thayer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: OPTi /dev/dsp problem
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 18:34:48 -0400

I have an opti based cheapo sound card and so far i have used isapnp and
mad16 modules to get it to a point where the card is initialized and i
can play sounds through /dev/audio (by catting .au sounds to it).
however, i cannot get sounds to play through /dev/dsp: they are being
played too slowly (ie, instead of a cat, it sounds liek a cow). you can
reproduce this sound with sox on /dev/audio by changing the bitrate of a
16khz wav to 8000 (sox -r8000). anyway, i've had this problem before,
and successfully got the card working, but it was more than a year ago
and now i cant remember what i did to fix it. if anyone has any ideas,
i'd appreciate hearing them.

thanks,
ignacio

------------------------------

From: "Travis Landry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc,linux.redhat.rpm,nl.comp.os.linux,nl.comp.os.linux.installat
Subject: Re: Another problem
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 18:49:24 -0400

Not if you're using RH 6.0, Its gnorpm there

------------------------------

Date: 15 May 99 20:25:31 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Compiling new 2.2.9 kernel error
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup

Soneone (Mark Hahn) said:

 MH>>> get 2.2.9, and configure it to support your controller (VIA82C586).

Plz note that *only* in 'Make xconfig' are the options to use that shown
to the poor user.  Make menuconfig doesn't give you the choice that I
could see.

What else do I need to get to keep pppd working?  I understand the
version I have from the 5.2 install is killed by later kernels.

[...]

And now I've had a chance to play with it, and the compile is failing
because of what seems to be a totally off the wall mistake.

In ./arch/i386/lib/compress.c, lines 104-105 is a definition of a
funtion:

csum_partial_copy_fromuser( 2 ptrs, 2 ints )  ; a 27 char name!

and at line 200, this:

csum_partial_copy( same vars as above )  ; but name is only 18 chars...

Make, it appears, is treating them as if the names have been clipped,
outputting the error that 'csum_partial_copy' is defined in line 105,
and redefined in line 200, therefore making them identical according to
the error messages output to the shell window.  Make exits with an error
2 from the apparent redefinition attempt.

While I've written some C code, I'm not a guru, so what now folks?

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040 50 megs fast/2 megs chip
    Ch. Eng. @ WDTV-5          |A2091,GuruRom,1g Seagate,CDROM,Multiface III

From: Michael Bain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Device busy for aimslab radio on linux 2.2
Date: 15 May 1999 16:12:30 -0700

Since upgrading my system to Linux 2.2, I haven't been able to get the
radio to work.  It is your basic aimslab radio, and it worked fine
under RH 5.2.

Sound works fine for other things, a basic SB16.  Try to load the radio
driver via: insmod radio-aimslab

and it replies with:

/lib/modules/2.2.9/misc/radio-aimslab.o: init_module: Device or resource busy

Maybe this information will help:
DMA:
1 Soundblaster8
4 cascade
5 SoundBlaster16

Interrupts:
0 timer
1 keyboard
2 cascade
3 serial
4 serial
5 soundblaster
8 rtc
11 ncr53c8xx
13 fpu

And I had to create a radio device, hope it is correct:
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            6 May  9 17:57 radio -> radio0
crw-rw-r--   1 root     root      81,  64 May  8 11:50 radio0

--
 Michael Bain  "When in Doubt, Put on New Tires."  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: CD-AUDIO
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 22:39:19 GMT

I ran into the same problem with the SB PCI64
under Redhat 6.0. The mixer in gnome (gmix)
wouldn't solve the problem, but xmixer did. In my
setup xmixer shows up under the
"AnotherLevel/Utilities/Sound" menus. I had to
mute the CD to get sound. Hope this helps.

bill

In article <7gvjoi$bpe$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "David Bildström" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> killbill skrev i meddelandet <7gv18c$d21$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> >In article <7gut20$1ct$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >  "David Bildström" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> I have a SB PCI64 (es1370) and I'm using RedHat 6.0. My problem is
that I
> >> can't play audio-cd:s. It's working fine in Windoze. Does anyone
else
> have
> >> this problem?
> >
> >I am using an ensoniq card that is virtually identical.  The mixer
settings
> >under Linux work a little funny, play with them some and see if you
can get
> >sound. That card has a _bunch_ of different analog channels (for
voice
> >modem, multiple cd-roms, mic, line in, etc), and both the windows and
the
> >linux drivers seem a little confused about what mutes what and which
> sliders
> >control the volume of which.  I usually (as any self respecting
engineer
> >would) just keep slapping sliders and pressing buttons until I hear a
> noise.
> >
> >I forget which mixer I am using... I can dig it up if you keep having
> >problems. Both the Linux and the Windows (Creative driver w/ directx)
mixer

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Daviel)
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Subject: Re: ASUS-P2B-DS feels slow
Date: 13 May 1999 21:33:33 GMT

Kari Laine ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: operating system around :-) Is there tools to meter Linux disk
: performance or do I have to write my own. In the /proc under scsi
: Linux gives channel speed as 80M/sec but thats theoretical value I
: guess or otherwise Linux would beat the hell out of the competition.

hdparm -Tt does a quick disk test

Andrew Daviel

------------------------------

From: Gavin McCord <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Quad/Dual Motherboard?
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 23:24:16 GMT

Rather than buy a single expensive superfast PII on a single mainboard, I'd
like to go dual/quad motherboard with cheaper processors i.e. 266-300MHz

Any recommendations on boards to buy?

--
"I'm Keyser Soze. No, I'm Keyser Soze. I'm Keyser Soze and so's
my wife..."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Warning: IOMEGA Zip on linux 2.2 is not stable
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 23:07:51 GMT

RH 6.0, upgraded to kernel 2.27:

I have now played quite a while with trying to use IOMEGA Zip drives.  I
have come to the conclusion that the ATAPI version linux driver does not
work reliably.  Note that the driver nicely recognizes the presence
of Zip drives during boot time, and assigns a device thereto.  The
driver just makes mistakes reading and writing from zip disks.

* [DELL Inspiron drive] I can format a ZIP disk on another Win/NT
system.  Then, when I mount it on a DELL Inspiron ZIP drive as vfat
filesystem (/dev/hdc4), trying to copy a file to the DOS file system
creates
        hdc I/O error pc=2a k=4 asc=47 ascq=0.
        IO Error dev 16:04 (hdc) sector 417
This can be repeated, e.g., with a new disk or after using the disk for
a while under win/98.  It seems to happen especially if this is the
first file I am putting onto this filesystem.  Note that the Inspiron
zip drive seems to work just fine when I use it after booting into the
Win/98 partition.

* [DELL Inspiron drive] Same machine.  Format the zip disk.  Run
        e2fsck -b /dev/hdc1
on the new ext2 file system, checking for bad blocks.  After about half
the disk is through, there are tons of such errors.

* [P-III system]  This is probably an ATAPI 2 drive, because I just
bought this computer.  This zip drive creates has all sorts of weird
error messages.  It begins at bootup with a complaint that the drive
reports two different kinds of number of sectors (with a disk in the
drive).  /sbin/fdisk reports all sorts of bad partitions on the zip disk
(has different logical and physical beginnings, etc.; it sits on
/dev/hdb).  The disk cannot be mounted, either as vfat (or autoguessing)
on either /dev/hdb1 or /dev/hdb4.  I can wipe them, and start with an
e2fs, but this cannot be read by the DELL linux zip drive.

I have tried all sorts of variations on BIOS recognition, but nothing
helps.

Let's not complain about the creators of the ZIP driver for linux;
reverse-engineering is tough and they are all doing us a favor and for
very little money.  But for now, I think the conclusion has to be that
the driver is flaky and IOMEGA ATAPI zip drives are better to be
avoided.

I wish I could complain to IOMEGA.  Nice drive, but my guess is that
they reinvent their own standards and compensate therefore in their
software.  Makes our life a lot harder.

/ivo welch

From: Joshua Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: STB 128 and RedHat
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 17:58:17 -0700

I have this card and it has ran fine (detected and everything) from
install since 5.2 .  You might look into a possible conflict of some
kind if switching to 6.0 still gives the same problems.

-Joshua Martin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 20:00:03 -0400
From: d Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hi-val sountastic sound cards

==============E748B354CFB8B8479CFBD993

Hello: Does any one know if these sound cards are supported in linux?  If so how would
I go about getting it to work.  I have a new system that has a sountastic sound card
and before I installed linux I wanted to know if it was supported.

                 Multimedia Solutions for the Home and Office

         ISA 16 Bit Soundcard

         Features

           ISA Plug-n-Play
           Up to 44KHz Sample Rate
           16 Bit Stereo Sound
           3D Surround Sound
           20 Voice FM Music
           Synthesizer
           Digital/Analog Mixer
           Sound Blaster[tm], Adlib
           MPU-401, Windows
           Sound System Compatable

Thank you in advance.

--
Yesterday is but a dream, tomorrow is only a vision. But today, well lived,
makes every yesterday a dream of happiness, and every tomorrow a vision of hope.

No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness.
                                                -Aristotle
David Martin
FAX (978) 418 2592

==============E748B354CFB8B8479CFBD993

<pre>Hello: Does any one know if these sound cards are supported in linux?&nbsp; If so
how would I go about getting it to work.&nbsp; I have a new system that has a
sountastic sound card and before I&nbsp;installed linux I wanted to know if it was
supported.</pre>

<pre>&nbsp;&nbsp;

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 Multimedia Solutions for the Home and Office
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ISA 16 Bit Soundcard

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Features&nbsp;

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ISA Plug-n-Play&nbsp;
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Up to 44KHz Sample
Rate&nbsp;
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 16 Bit Stereo Sound&nbsp;
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 3D Surround Sound&nbsp;
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 20 Voice FM Music&nbsp;
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Synthesizer&nbsp;
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Digital/Analog Mixer&nbsp;
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Sound Blaster[tm], Adlib
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; MPU-401, Windows
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Sound System
Compatable</pre>

<pre>Thank you in advance.</pre>

<pre></pre>

<pre>--&nbsp;
Yesterday is but a dream, tomorrow is only a vision. But today, well lived,&nbsp;
makes every yesterday a dream of happiness, and every tomorrow a vision of hope.&nbsp;
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 -The Sanskrit

No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness.&nbsp;
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 -Aristotle
David Martin&nbsp;
FAX (978) 418 2592</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

From: Steve Ponsford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: UDMA33 hard drive runs at 6 megs/second - WTF?
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 09:54:02 -0700

Hi Gene,
Mmm,  pull it out of your PC and give it a whirl on you miggy :)  if you got
Linux installed
on it and the proper cables to support that drive to your interface.  The newer
2.3.x kernels support Amigas native Gayle IDE controller and the
Buddha/Catweasel IDE interface.  Of course your PIO settings may not even be
recognized but it may be interesting to see the speed difference between the
two systems.
Also try this with hdparm
hdparm -i /dev/<drive> and look at you MaxMultSect if it's supported by your
drive.  Take
the number returned from MaxMultSect=?? and set the -m option to that number.
However,
if you have a WD Cavair series drive set -m to a lower number (try 4 or 8).
Read the man
pages on hdparm for more info on WD drives.  I might also help if you have
32-bit transfer
mode on by setting -c option to on.  Then do a 'hdparm -t -T /dev/<drive>'
before and
after you changed the settings to see if your performance as increased any.
Hope this helps.

Steve Ponsford  | Team //\       |  A3000-40P96/A500-30+/GVP8+GuruROM
fleg                     |        \\//miga |   K6III-450/MandrakeLinux&UAE