From: Henry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Multi-Head
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 22:04:08 -0500

Hi,

XIG has a product for this.  Accelerated X.  I have used it at work on a
couple of projects.  It supports several types of PCI (and AGP?) boards
in multi headed operation.  It is not free but not too expensive.

Check them at http://www.xig.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (urgrue)
Subject: Never-ending SCSI woes...device busy
Date: 24 Mar 1999 19:01:16 GMT

okay so i think ive made at least some progress now...i made a boot disk
containing the driver for the generic NCR scsi controller (suse distrib) which
detects scsi0, but proclaims a message saying 'device or resource busy, retry
in 5 seconds', which is followed by a similar message saying it will try to
abort. here it hangs. any help would be appreciated...
(it should be the correct driver - the chip is a NCR53C94 and i read someplace
on the web that this uses the generic ncr driver - and anyway, nothing else
has even worked this much).

fred

------------------------------

From: "B. Joshua Rosen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux on HP Jornado 820 or other WindowCE hardware
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 14:14:41 +0000

Does Linux run on the Jornado 820 or other WindowCE laptop? It's not mentioned
on the Linux Laptop page.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Mounting
Date: 13 Mar 1999 06:32:05 GMT

From: "Jason Vasquez" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Compaq LTE5300
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 10:18:25 -0500

Has anyone had success getting X to run on an LTE5300?  I have tried
numerous configurations, and nothing has seemed to work yet.  I either get a
blank screen with a total lock-up (Ctrl-alt-bs won't even work), or I get
"snow"-like patterns on the screen.  Does anybody have any ideas?  I know
that it can't do over 800x600

-Jason

--

Question:
How many Microsoft engineers does it take to change a light bulb?

------------------------------

From: Thomas Zajic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Writable ATAPI Cdrom, I have no hair left!!!
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 15:27:11 GMT

Mitch on linus1 wrote:
> How can I tell which kernels are stable and which are development grade,
> should I consider the "latest" in a class to be ok.  Is there a list
> somewhere ?

Development kernels are those with an odd minor number, stable ones
have an even one. The scheme goes as follows:

   <Major version>.<minor version>.<patchlevel>

So 2.0.x and 2.2.x are stable, the 2.1.x series is development. Note
that also with even minor versions and a low patchlevel, the kernel
is still somehow a development kernel. Just read about all the probs
people are having and stuff that broke with the 2.2.0 - 2.2.3 kernels.
Personally, I´ll wait until 2.2.10 or so before I leave my trusty old
2.0.36 kernel behind ... ;-)

>    I will look try 2.0.36 and report back.
> ... Many thanks

No problem, and good luck! ;-)

Thomas
--
=---------------------------------------------------------------------=
-        Thomas Zajic aka ZlatkO ThE GoDFatheR, Vienna/Austria        -

------------------------------

From: tc lewis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: $2500.00 DREAM machine
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 14:08:15 -0500

i'd rather just build a machine for $500.  =)

-tcl.

From: "Greg Chagnon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: Advise please re RedHat 5.2 and my install....
Date: 13 Mar 1999 17:00:29 GMT

Gary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
GBwG2.22$[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Hi,
>I have purchased from my local OfficeMax a RedHat 5.2 Linux software box...
>which I'm about to unseal...however before unsealing... I have a few
>questions about it... and would appreciate some constructive comments to
>assist me in making sure Linux is right for me....
>
>First, the computer I would like to install on is a dual processor PII
>system... is that a problem for RedHat... I don't see it discussed on the
>box, and was wondering if the shipping product handled dual processors
well?

Linux will use the 2nd processor fine...

>Second, I communicate with Internet via a router which talks to all my PC's
>via a NIC... in this case a KNE110TX from Kingston... I noted the vanilla
>"Tulip" drivers don't seem to support this varient as yet... but did find a
>driver over at a Nasa website which seems to support it... my question is,
>how difficult is it to compile, and link in a new network driver?

There's usually very good documentation with anything you download for
linux.

>Third, I noted a new version of the Linux kernal was announced somewhat
>recently, does 5.2 include it, is it in any way relevent or an issue with
my
>install? Should I wait for the new Kernal? Does 5.2 include the newest
>version, or would I download it, what all would be involved with my using
it
>if at all?

Most CDs you buy don't contain the latest kernel.  Go to ftp.kernel.org and
get the latest stable kernel.  There's a kernel HOWTO at
http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html

>Please pretend I am somewhat computer literate, but a Linux newbie. Replies
>about writing my own driver are definately NOT being solicited,
constructive
>replies certainly are all welcome.
>--
>Gary

Good luck...

Greg Chagnon

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (PB)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Adaptec 154x
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 19:19:24 GMT

Rick Knight in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>A friend of mine is trying to install RH5.2 (at my suggestion) on a
>system with an Adaptec 154x SCSI controller and is having trouble
>getting through the initial setup. When install tries to detect SCSI
>components, the machine freezes and requires a hard boot. This system
>does work with Win95/NT so the hardware is good and configured
>correctly. I seem to remember something about additional parameters
>required for the AHA154x cards but can't find any information about
>this anywhere. Can someone help us out with this?

Well, fwiw I have a Adaptec 1524 and I had similar problems.  I had to pass some
parameters to the setup routine so it could find the card properly.

First, I chose not to probe, then I used "aha152x=0x340,12,0" to denote a 152x
card on mem address 0x340, IRQ 12, and scsi id 0.  Check out the howto called
'SCSI-HOWTO' for more info.
--
PB

------------------------------

From: Rick Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 18:37:34 GMT
Subject: Adaptec 154x
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup

A friend of mine is trying to install RH5.2 (at my suggestion) on a=20
system with an Adaptec 154x SCSI controller and is having trouble=20
getting through the initial setup. When install tries to detect SCSI=20
components, the machine freezes and requires a hard boot. This system=20
does work with Win95/NT so the hardware is good and configured=20
correctly. I seem to remember something about additional parameters=20
required for the AHA154x cards but can't find any information about=20
this anywhere. Can someone help us out with this?

Thanks,
Rick Knight
([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: "RM Mail" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OPL3-SAx sounchip and redhat 5.2
Date: 24 Mar 1999 15:53:38 GMT

I was fooled by that one for ages untill I tried to set up my modem and
realised the oplx was pnp board.  There are 3 devices on the board which
you will need to allocate space for using isapnp.  Then run the sndconfig
or what ever it is called and off you go.

Andy Bird.

Robert Schiele <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: "Severian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: disk & dma problems...
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 20:05:41 +0100

Hello all

I've got the following problem.....( the best way to explain it is this
log )

[...]

hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { BadSector DriveStatusError }, LBAsect=6079021,
sector=55212
hda: disabled DMA
ide0: reset: success

The disk was probed before succesfully:

[...]
ide: i82371 PIIX (Triton) on PCI bus 0 function 33
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xd800-0xd807

hda: WDC AC34000L, 3815MB w/256kB Cache, CHS=969/128/63, UDMA

ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
[...]

It all began when I paritioned the disk  ( the same screen pop-up ) using
fdisk or even Partition Magic 4.0 for win.
I'm pretty sure the disk is ok - no bad sectors & stuff.
All this was on slackware 3.6 ( 2.0.35 ) , but I tried on 2.2.3 with the
same result...
The disk supports udma.
using  "hdparm -d1 ..." brings the same "error" information (hdparm 3.5)

Please help...

------------------------------

From: Jeremy Weinberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: sonycd535 cdrom driver
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 13:52:04 -0600

I need some advice on how to get an old cd-rom to work under linux. I've
got a sony cdu-535 hooked up to my 486/50. I just installed 2.0.36 using
the redhat 5.2 distribution. The kernel on the boot disk was able to
recognize and use the cd-rom, because I installed from cd.. The
sonycd535 driver appears to load correctly on boot. The hardware base
address reported in the boot messages, 0x340, matches the hardware
setting. However, when I attempt to mount the cdrom, the driver gives me
the following error message:
Sony CDU-535 read_result_reg: TIME OUT!
Sony CDU-535 debug: calling spinup when reading data!

This message repeats itself 3-4 times, then finally quits, giving me
error messages about bad blocks on the cd. I am almost certain that this
is simply an artifact of the earlier error: the cd drive works under dos
with the same cd's, the cd i'm trying to read from was used successfully
to install linux. A hardware error is not indicated.

Does anyone know if there is a different version of the driver or
perhaps another parameter I can modify to fix this problem? This
*should* be a solvable problem, because the driver version built into
the redhat boot.img kernel was able to read my cd.

thanks much,
jeremy

------------------------------

From: "user" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HD Problems... HELP!!!!
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 11:53:03 -0800

Oh my.

I'm so terrible sorry for your tragic loss. My condolences to you and the
surviving members of the SIMM family.  It takes a long time, if ever, to get
over the death of a loved chip. I hope you  can take comfort in knowing that
there are many wonderful SIMMS out there waiting to be adopted from a life
of non-usage.

--ack?! Windoze fsck'ed my Linux box!!!

news:enRyfZpb#[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Bob Glover" <app1rtg_at_air.ups.com>
Subject: Soundblaster AWE64 problem (almost there)
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 18:03:34 -0000

I almost have my Soundblaster AWE64 working.
 I've asked in other forums, and I just need a little
more help (I hope).

The problem is that when I do 'cat sample.au > /dev/audio',
I only hear about 1 second of the sample.  I *don't* think it's
have an interrupt problem, but that's what the HOWTO said
I should look for.  The other functions on the sound card
work too: MIDI, Wavetable, OPL2/3.  Only /dev/audio is
acting strangely.  Also, all other devices in the system work
fine.

I have done everything I could think of to look for an interrupt
problem.  I have already done the following:

0.  Searched DejaNews for information on how to diagnose
     interruptconflicts.

1.  cat /proc/interrupts
     cat /proc/dma
     cat /proc/ioports

No two devices report sharing the same resource.  So
there's not an interrupt conflict right?

2.  Looked at /etc/isapnp.conf
All I/O addresses OK, IRQ=5, DMA=1,5 for the SB.
(io 0x220, 0x330,0x388)  The wavetable has three
I/O addresses.  I also enabled the joystickport.
Only the ISA PnP card (the Soundblaster) is in
here.  The only other ISAcard  in the box is a
non-PnP 28.8K modem (that works great).

3.  Looked at dmesg and /var/log/messages.  Nothing in
     here at all unusual for sound initialization.

4.  Watched the BIOS assign/report IRQ 5 DMA: 1,5 for
the Soundblaster at boot.  It's not moving these values
around from boot to boot. That's good.  Here's my interrupt
listing (from grey memory), with the standard stuff removed.

IRQ  Device
3      ttyS1 (ISA modem, reserved for Legacy ISA in the BIOS)
4      ttyS0 (on-board, the second on-board "COM" port is disabled in BIOS)
5     SoundBlaster
10   Ethernet Card (PCI)
11   (display device)
14   ide0
15   ide1

A remark about the interrupts:
    I didn't know the display device needed an interrupt.  Does it?
    It's a Diamond Stealth II AGP which seems to work fine in X so
    far.  I didn't get a manual with it. It's "new" hardware so it's
    a suspect in all this mess.

Also, I'm running RedHat 5.2 with kernel 2.2.2.  I'm looking at
kernel 2.2.3, but I wonder if it will help.  I'll try anything at this
point.  Please help!

Robert Glover -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 This document contains text or data which, if read, could convey

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 18:20:50 +0100
From: Henrik Söderquist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Multi-Head

From: Tommy Kelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: The modem's lights are on but no one is home.
Date: 24 Mar 1999 15:57:42 +0000

Redhat5.2

I can echo stuff to /dev/cua0 and my modem blinks,
but nothing sensible happens.
If I cat /dev/cua0 I see the "OK" coming back from an
echoed "at".  But nothing sensible happens.
I tried a wee bit of perl to "open" /dev/cua0, and then
stuffing characters in that way.  more blinking lights, but
nothing sensible.

And using linuxconf to setup ppp didn't even pretend to
work.

Where do I start?  Port speed?  What?

(Its a v90 "full" modem - not a winthing).

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: USB support under linux
Date: 24 Mar 1999 17:25:34 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <7db5jv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Byron A Jeff) writes:

> The question wasn't directed to me but let me tell you what I want to do:
>
> The multiheaded server. Simply put I'd like to add a second video card,
> keyboard, mouse, and monitor and have another X station running from the a
> single computer. The video part of the equation has been solved, only the
> interface part is the problem.
>
> USB solves the problem nicely.
>
> Has anyone attempted this yet?

I've not attempted this, but I do have another suggestion: Buy an X
terminal.  I occasionally see forsale postings for used X terminals at
pretty low prices -- not as low as a mouse and keyboard, but as low as a
monitor, mouse, and keyboard.  This solution will give you greater
flexibility about where you place the second terminal, too.

--
Rod Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Rod Prather <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Banshee
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 15:34:20 -0500

We were trying to get a Creative Labs Banshee card to work, we gave up and
backed down to an older supported card.  In the process I called CL to see if
they had any info on Linux compatability.   They're answer was, "we don't
support Linux, maybe someone else has written a driver".   They also had no idea
of where to look for anything.  Seems that Creative isn't on the program at
all.  Frankly, I have had nothing but headaches with 3DFX cards (Win apps)  ever
since they came out.  Seems like if it's not the mainstream, top of the line
product, they just screw up all the time.    Is it a crummy standard or is it
just a non-standard standard?