Linux-Hardware Digest #824, Volume #14           Fri, 25 May 01 12:13:23 EDT

Contents:
  Help:Token Ring Drivers ("Raja Naguib")
  Re: Serial port expansion board recommendation? (Jem)
  Re: @Home setup SO SLOW ("LRW")
  Adaptec SlimSCSI 1480 - booting locks up (Hans Streibel)
  Re: Completely screwed by aic7xxx ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Red Hat 7.1 and KDE 2 in IBM ThinkPad A21p (Joseph Meier)
  Re: NVidia almost works but not quite! Help! (Kenneth Rørvik)
  Re: NVidea Geforce 2 MX (Kenneth Rørvik)
  Re: OS recognizes external keyboard (Andreas Heckele)
  Re: Help, I screwed up my display! ("Andy Walker")
  Re: Good sound card? ("Justin Mahn")
  Re: Udma 100 - RH 7.1 ? (John Arrowwood)
  Which PCMCIA card modem for linux.. (John McCabe)
  Re: CD Player (Nico Over)
  Re: BIOS Operating System (BIOSOS) (long). (John Brock)
  Re: Red Hat 7.1 and KDE 2 in IBM ThinkPad A21p ("Tauno Voipio")
  Re: Will Linux recognize >4GB RAM on Pentium-III Xeon? (bill davidsen)
  Back up in Linux ("Jerry Wong")
  Mandrake 8 fonts (Frank Miller)
  Re: Back up in Linux ("Investigator")

From: "Raja Naguib" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help:Token Ring Drivers
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 18:24:05 +0800

I looking for Token Link Velocity XL PCI (3C359) driver ? Please Help....

From: Jem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.embedded
Subject: Re: Serial port expansion board recommendation?
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 11:36:54 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> > > I'm looking for a PCI 8-port serial expansion card that supports
> > > baud rates from 9600bps to at least 115.2kbps (preferably higher)
> > > with linux drivers available.  Does anyone have a favorite vendor
> > > for this type of card?  I looked at a couple vendors listed on
> > > www.linux.org, but wanted to see what people have experience
> > > with.
> >
> > I don't have direct experience with it (yet), but the KeySpan 49W 4 port USB to
> > serial device is supposed to be well supported with newer 2.4.x kernels
> > (evidently KeySpan helped in writing the driver).  It claims data rates up to
> > 920 Kbps per port.
>
> The poster said plainly that he wanted a PCI board.
> I think it implied "no USB shit, please".
> He wanted a Cyclades, probably.
>
> -- Pete

Or a RocketPort - good Linux drivers (now built in to 2.4.x kernel) and
high speed.

Jem

------------------------------

From: "LRW" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: @Home setup SO SLOW
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 12:25:40 GMT

Thanks for the advice!! But I really want to edit the files myself manually,
as I used Linuxconf once to configue Apache, and it completely hosed my
http.conf (sp?).
BTW, is the /etc/hosts file basically the same thing as an LMHOSTS in
Windows? I ask because your saying yours is large made the connection for
me.

Liam

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Hans Streibel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Adaptec SlimSCSI 1480 - booting locks up
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 12:08:06 +0000

My notebook stops during the boot process if I have the Adaptec SlimSCSI
1480 (APA-1480A) card bus card installed. This is what I am running:
- SuSE 6.2
- kernel 2.2.18pre21
- pcmcia 3.1.22

I started Linux with the option "aic7xxx=panic_on_abort,verbose:0x1ffff"
and got the following messages while booting - starting with the messages
from the pcmcia system:

cardmgr[57]: starting, version is 3.1.22
cardmgr[57]: watching 2 sockets
cs: IO port probe 0x1000-0x17ff: clean.
cs: IO port probe 0x0100-0x04ff: excluding 0x378-0x37f 0x398-0x39f 0x4d0-0x4d7
cs: IO port probe 0x0a00-0x0aff: clean.
cardmgr[57]: initializing socket 0
cs: memory probe 0xa0000000-0xa0ffffff: clean.
cardmgr[57]: socket 0: Adaptec APA-1480 SCSI Host Adapter
cardmgr[57]: executing: 'modprobe cb_enabler'
cardmgr[57]: executing: 'apa1480_cb'
cs: cb-config(bus32)
  fn 0 bar1: io 0x200-0x2ff
  fn 0 bar2: mem 0x60030000-0x60030fff
  fn 0 rom: mem 0x60020000-0x6002ffff
  irq 3
apa_1480_attach(device 20:00.0)
aic7xxx: <Adaptec PCMCIA SCSI controller> at PCI 32/0/0
aic7xxx: MMAPed I/O failed, reverting to Programmed I/O
(scsi0) <Adaptec PCMCIA SCSI controller> found at PCI 32/0/0
(scsi0) Narrow Channel SCSI ID=7, 3/255 SCBs
(scsi0) Downloading sequencer code... 422 instructions downloaded

Booting locked up at this position. However the system must have been
very busy from this point on because I could here the fan going on and off.
After waiting a long time (I had to write down everything I saw on the screen)
I simply ejected the card and got the following:

cs: cb-free(bus32)
(scsi0) BRKADRINT error(0xff)
        Illegal Host Access
        Illegal Sequencer Address referenced
        Illegal Opcode in sequencer program
        Sequencer Ram Pariry Error
        Data-Path Ram Parity Error
        Scratch Ram/SCB Array Ram Parity Error
        PCI Error detected
        CIOBUS Parity Error
(scsi0) SEQADDR=0x1ff
Kernel panic: aic7xxx: unrecoverable BRKADRINT
In interrupt handler - not syncing

What is going wrong here and how can I solve it? I have the impression
that the fault is in the aic7xxx module?

Hans

P.S.
BTW do others also have the message "MMAPed I/O failed" with this card?

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Completely screwed by aic7xxx
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 14:44:34 +0200

Ted Weldon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Mandrake has a bugged install kernel as far as scsi is concerned. Probably
>> lifted from RH. See errata.
>>
>> No. It works just fine, thank you. The bug is mandrakes.
>>
>> Mandrake has a bugged install kernel as far as scsi is concerned. Probably
>> lifted from RH. See errata.
>> (yes, I am running 7890 scsi under 2.4 kernels).

> Running AIC-7899:
> kernel 2.2.xx + 5.xx driver-> crash with "unrecoverable BRKADRINT"
> kernel 2.4.xx + 5.xx driver-> crash with "unrecoverable BRKADRINT"
> kernel 2.2.xx + 6.xx driver-> trying to compile now between crashes.
> kernel 2.4.xx + 6.xx driver-> crash with "Attempting to queue an ABORT
> message"

Same chips (asus D2S mobos), all sorts of kernels and drivers, no problem
whatsoever, neither with lvd nor scsi2. It strikes me that you have scsi
termination-NOT problems. Turn down the busspeed and see if that cures
it.

> I am wondering if a BIOS upgrade/downgrade might help.  Does anyone know

It can't hurt.

> where adaptec keeps their bios upgrades for embedded solutions?  The site

Swap items around to locate the problem.

Peter

------------------------------

From: Joseph Meier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red Hat 7.1 and KDE 2 in IBM ThinkPad A21p
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 13:13:22 GMT

I got it working with no problems.  Sound works and everything....  =20
Dunno about the modem, though.  Awesome resolution on the A21p. =20
1600X1200.

Later=20

Joseph Meier

On 5/25/01, 1:09:44 AM, "Tauno Voipio"=20
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote regarding Red Hat 7.1 and KD=
E 2=20
in IBM ThinkPad A21p:

> I'm considering upgrading the RH 6.2 in my ThinkPad A21p to RH 7.1. Ha=
> anybody succeeded in installing RH 7.1 into an IBM ThinkPad A21p?

> There is information that the lm_sensors package (required by KDE) wre=
aks
> havoc with the internal EEPROM of ThinkPad.

> TIA

> Tauno Voipio
> tauno voipio @ iki fi

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: NVidia almost works but not quite! Help!
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik)
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 13:18:01 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andy Walker) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>I've loaded XFree86 4.0.1 with Mandrake 7.2 and then installed the
>NVidia driver for my M64 TNT2 AGP graphics card and it seems to work but
>the system keeps coming up with an error about x spawning too fast and
>disabling for 5 minutes. Other than the X display constantly flicking on
>and off during this, it seems to work ok.
>Does anyone have any ideas because after months spent to get this far
>I'm starting to get depressed!
>I've run a script from I think it's Loki that checks that the NVidia
>drivers are installed correctly and that says it's fine so what the hell
>is wrong with it now!

There's something wrong with your X configuration. Switch to runlevel three
(telinit 3), and try starting X like this: "XFree86 -probeonly". This
should give you a fairly good idea what's wrong. If not, post the output
here. Also, include your XF86Config(-4) file.

--
Kenneth Rørvik          91841353/22950312
Nordbergv. 60A          [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Subject: Re: NVidea Geforce 2 MX
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik)
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 13:20:49 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rhakios) wrote in <9ejt28$oa9$1
@uranium.btinternet.com>:

>Mandrake 7.2 will work with the GeForce 2MX but only with the basic nv
>driver, and as it uses XFree86 3.3.6 it is difficult to get the NVIDIA
>driver working (It needs XFree86 4.0.1 or greater).
>The good news is that Mandrake 8.0 ships with XFree86 4.0.3 and this
>makes installing the NVIDIA drivers as easy as following the
>instructions. Tuxracer runs brilliantly :~)

With Mandrake 7.2, choosing the expert install option will enable you to
select XFree86 4.0.1. However, as mdk 8 is out, I'd recommend it too.

I'm currently running mdk 7.2 with XFree86 4.0.2 and the latest drivers
from nvidia - UT runs great.... with almost the same framerates as in
windoze.

From: Andreas Heckele <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OS recognizes external keyboard
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 13:28:54 GMT

Plugging in the keyboard is not the problem - but the laptop has a
german
keyboard integrated. So what I'd like to do is, make linux recognize
that
an external us-keyboard is plugged in and switch to the correct keymap.

------------------------------

From: "Andy Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help, I screwed up my display!
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 14:55:43 -0000

Michael Meissner wrote in message ...
>"Andy Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> I've installed X4.0.1 with NVidia 3D drivers and it was working fine in
>> 800*600 accelerated mode but when I tried to change the resolution it
killed
>> the display and I can't now get any picture. I can't even switch to a
>> terminal due to the same thing. I'm using Mandrake 7.2 and used harddrake
>> change mode.
>> Any ideas anyone?
>
>If you can't get any picture at all, even when booting, I suspect your
monitor
>is toast.  I've heard really old monitors could be subject to being
destroyed
>by feeding it a video signal it couldn't happen, but I hadn't heard of a
case
>happening any time recently.
>
>If its just a matter that X doesn't work, if you boot via LILO, you can add
the
>option 'single' to go into single user mode and reconfigure the X support,
>bringing it back to 800*600.
>
>--
>Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.  (GCC group)
>PMB 198, 174 Littleton Road #3, Westford, Massachusetts 01886, USA
>Work:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] phone: +1 978-486-9304
>Non-work: [EMAIL PROTECTED] fax:   +1 978-692-4482

Thanks for the help. I did what you said and the monitor is fine but now x
won't start and after the screen mode flicking around it fails with a
message about no display available. I tried upgrading to XFree86 4.0.2 but
still no luck. It failed when I did XFree86 -configure with a similar error
about no display.

------------------------------

From: "Justin Mahn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Good sound card?
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 08:59:38 -0500

SB PCI 512 wth emu10k1 chip?

news:UBnP6.712$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: John Arrowwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Udma 100 - RH 7.1 ?
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 14:56:37 GMT

>> Output of hdparm -i
>>
>> /dev/hdg:
>>
>> Model=Maxtor 96147U8, FwRev=BAC51KJ0, SerialNo=N8034RTC
>> Config={ Fixed }
>> RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=57
>> BuffType=DualPortCache, BuffSize=2048kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=16
>> CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=-66060037, LBA=yes, LBAsects=120060864
>> IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
>> PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
>> DMA modes: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 *udma4

> The asterisk in front of udma4 would seem to say that DMA is enabled.
> I wonder if the lousy throughput is related to the shared interrupt.
> See if you can't change that, perhaps by disabling (temporarily)
> something else using an interrupt, such as a serial or parallel port.

Actually, here is a quote from the hdparm man page...

-i : Display the identification info that was obtained from the drive at
boot time, if available. [...] The data returned may or may not be
current, depending on activity since booting the system.

So, when hdparm says it isn't using DMA, I think it is telling the
truth.  And as for sharing an IRQ, devices (especially PCI devices)
share IRQ's all the time, and without considerable performance
degredation.  However, I will contact Promise today to confirm that both
devices on the card usually share an IRQ.  I will also try and confirm
what the resources are supposed to be, perhaps they have changed for
this card...

However, if anybody has any other ideas, please share!

Thanks!

-- John

------------------------------

From: John McCabe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Which PCMCIA card modem for linux..
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 15:57:00 +0100

I have a crappy Linmodem for my Vaio 505SN at the minute and am
considering getting a modem that I can easily get working under
Linux.... (probably RH7.1)

I'm looking in the UK and the cheaper the better :)
/John

------------------------------

From: Nico Over <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CD Player
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 15:03:19 GMT

You might want to check your mixer level volume settings. I had similar problem,
fixed it when I loaded the Alsa sound driver.
Nico

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Brock)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.arch,comp.os.misc,comp.os.msdos.misc
Subject: Re: BIOS Operating System (BIOSOS) (long).
Date: 25 May 2001 11:09:32 -0400

In article <9eee2r$d02$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Hermann Samso  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>        would be delightful to have a small Boot Up Operating System.
>
>        The Story:
>        Having just bought two second hand PCs, I had to realize
>        that they didn't have any Operating System installed, and
>        oh poor me! forgot to buy the last update/release of my
>        favourite OS (Linux/Windows/etc). What to do?
>
>        The Solution:
>        Not only for test reasons, but to really boot up a System
>        from scratch, it would be helpful to have a BIOS "glue"
>        or some other kind of ROM installed in everyday use PCs.
>       This would help mantain the System and also help in software
>       developement.
[...etc...]

I think this would be great, but since it would give the user a
lot more control over his system I think that Microsoft is unlikely
to allow it to happen.  In fact I'm not sure the hardware vendors
would have any interest even if it wasn't a problem for Microsoft.

A more practical approach would be to take your BIOSOS and put it
on a floppy disk, which would mean that you could boot it from
pretty much any PC available today, new or old.

A while ago I made a suggestion -- similar to yours -- on the
bug-grub list: I suggested that we need an open source "Disk Manager"
which would handle the things you talk about and more.  The Disk
Manager would be small enough to live on a floppy, and among other
things would be able to create and resize partitions and install
itself in a primary partition where it would function as sort of
a super-LILO (which is why I was posting to the GRUB list).  I did
mention as part of my suggestion that some of this functionality
would be in the BIOS if things had been done properly from the start.

Anyway, if anyone wants to take a look at it, my suggestion is at

        http://www.mail-archive.com/bug-grub%40gnu.org/msg03485.html
--
John Brock

From: "Tauno Voipio" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 15:17:46 GMT

"Joseph Meier" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
I got it working with no problems.  Sound works and everything....
Dunno about the modem, though.  Awesome resolution on the A21p.
1600X1200.

Thanks.

The modem is crap, we should push 3Com for a Linux driver.

Regards from Helsinki, the home city of Linux

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio @ iki fi

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Will Linux recognize >4GB RAM on Pentium-III Xeon?
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 15:40:07 +0000 (UTC)

In article <aqdud9.428.ln@helix>, Steve Wolfe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| > you seem willing to part with large coin since you are considering the
| > intel wallet vaccuum -- maybe equipment from, e.g., sun would be
| > competitive in price/performance?
|
|   Our $12,000 quad Xeon handily beats a $25,000 Alpha machine at database
| work.  The Compaq rep that loaned us the Alpha for a week was pretty sad
| to hear that. : )

  What o/s? If you were running Linux on both, then you are (mostly)
comparing hardware, else you are comparing o/s as well (or even mostly).

--
  bill davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc
At LinuxExpo Sun was showing Linux applications running on Solaris.

------------------------------

From: "Jerry Wong" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.windows.x.kde,tw.bbs.comp.linux
Subject: Back up in Linux
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 23:44:10 +0800

=======_NextPart_000_0014_01C0E574.9898ED60

I used to backup the windows by Ghost software. In linux, can the =
command "tar" be used like Ghost. I means to backup the whole Linux =
system by tar it and restore it when necessary. I have windows98 and two =
Linux system in my PC (Red Hat 7.0 and Mandrake 8.0), so I can tar one =
of them when running the other.

Is it possible? Please give me some advice.

Thanks.

--=20
http://members.hknet.com/~wong63124
(In Chinese Big 5)

http://members.hknet.com/~wong63124/linux.htm
(In English)

=======_NextPart_000_0014_01C0E574.9898ED60

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3Dtext/html;charset=3Dbig5 http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.00.2014.210" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#c0c0c0>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I used to backup the windows by Ghost software. In =
linux, can=20
the command "tar" be used like Ghost. I means to backup the whole Linux =
system=20
by tar it and restore it when&nbsp;necessary. I have windows98 and two =
Linux=20
system in my PC (Red Hat 7.0 and Mandrake 8.0), so I can tar one of them =
when=20
running the other.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Is it possible? Please give me some =
advice.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Thanks.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><BR>-- <BR><A=20
href=3D"http://members.hknet.com/~wong63124";>http://members.hknet.com/~wo=
ng63124</A><BR>(In=20
Chinese Big 5)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://members.hknet.com/~wong63124/linux.htm";>http://members.hkn=
et.com/~wong63124/linux.htm</A><BR>(In=20
English)</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

From: Frank Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mandrake 8 fonts
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 15:43:53 GMT

The fonts in the download version of Mandrake 8 have a problem.  Has
anyone had chance to try the "store bought" version to see if this has
been addressed?

TIA,

Frank

------------------------------

From: "Investigator" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.windows.x.kde,tw.bbs.comp.linux
Subject: Re: Back up in Linux
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 12:04:51 -0400

The short answer is "yes".

More detail is needed, however, to explain the process.

Importantly, you do *not* want to back up any draconian system (like Linux)
while it is active with a full-bore "tar czf /dev/whatever/BACKUP.tgz /*"
There are files which must be omitted from the archive, or reloading will
cause unpredictable (specifically -- a system crash is the general
prognostication) results. You will need an exclusion list for the tar to
consider -- I know from experience <wink>.

--

news:9elu8v$mg1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...