Linux-Hardware Digest #232, Volume #13           Fri, 14 Jul 00 12:13:10 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Are TSC's synchronized in an Intel P6 SMP configurations? (Mitch Alsup)
  Apollo Pro 133A ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Starting Gnome ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Sound card config problem (Andreas =?iso-8859-1?Q?D=FCcker?=)
  Re: Which Atapi CD-RW for Linux ? (Simon Eilting)
  Re: Play mpeg without Xwindows (Tim Lyth)
  Re: Need soundcard suggestion. (Simon Eilting)
  Re: Best 3D card and Mobo for Linux? (Simon Eilting)
  Re: k6-2 (Simon Eilting)
  Re: ¡YA ACTIVO! - Sexo en directo GRATIS!!! --- Live Sex FREE (Henry Garcia)
  Re: I Did A Bad Thing... (Simon Eilting)
  Detecting Toshiba SD-R1002 under Linux? (Nicholas Weininger)
  Re: Newbie needs help in installing LT winmodem ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Creative AudioPCI 128 - no MIDI ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: [Q]: How to transfer file from SGI O2 to PC Linux Mandrake 7 ? (Simon Eilting)
  Re: [Q]: How to transfer file from SGI O2 to PC Linux Mandrake 7 ? (Tim Haynes)
  Re: Newbie needs help in installing LT winmodem (Tony Curtis)
  Re: CPU temperature (Auto Cat)
  Re: Play mpeg without Xwindows (Krzys Majewski)
  Sound blaster AWE64 without awe32 driver? (Krzys Majewski)
  linux support for AMD 751 chipset & AGP graphics ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: linux support for AMD 751 chipset & AGP graphics ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  XF86Config for ATI Rage Fury Pro (Chris Moesel)

From: Mitch Alsup <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,comp.sys.intel,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.setup.hardware
Subject: Re: Are TSC's synchronized in an Intel P6 SMP configurations?
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 09:13:32 -0500

Carl Perkins wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Maarten) writes...
> }The speed at which even _really_fast_ transistors process signals is
> }way way smaller than the speed at which they travel thru copper.
> }A few years back, the delay of a simple 74Fxx port was several
> }nanoseconds IIRC. The equivalent of >> several metres at lightspeed,
> }right ?
> }
> }Maarten
>
> The speed of light in a vacuum is a smidge under 30cm per nanosecond.

    In FREE Space.

> The speed that electrical signal travel through copper wire is slower
> than this by a few percent, as I recall.

    In FREEE space. On a circuit board, the speed is slowed by the
SQRT( dielectric constant) of the board in question. So on a typical
FR4 board, the speed of electrical propogation is just over 50% of 'c',
dielectric constant ~= 3.9.

> So it takes more than 3.3 nanoseconds for a signal to travel down a meter
> of copper wire.

And over 6 nano seconds if the wire is on a typical circuit board.

> Whcih just goes to show that a nanosecond is a rather short period of time.
>
> --- Carl

But sooner or later they add up to real-time.

Mitch

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Apollo Pro 133A
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 14:20:38 GMT

I would like to know if anyone has been using this chipset in linux
and their comments on it.  I recently purchased the Asus P3V4X which
has this chipset.  i am really interested in comments on the udma66 in
this chipset like perforance and how to get it working.  i just
replace my Abit BE6-II with this new one cause of the problems with
stability and the udma66 controller performance.

Thanks
Rgzoso

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Starting Gnome
Date: 14 Jul 2000 14:24:33 GMT

If your having difficulty with getting GNOME to run, try installing the
Helixcode GNOME packages. They're very easy to use and set up a lot of the
really messy stuff for you.

The website is http://helixcode.com

Andrew

------------------------------

From: Andreas =?iso-8859-1?Q?D=FCcker?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound card config problem
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 15:55:42 +0200

# Sound configuration Linux !!
# =

# 1.) SB 16 or Clones
# 2.) Synthesizers opl3 Chips
# 3.) MIDI Chips UART401
# 4.) Game Ports.
# 5.) DSP  (v_midi)

It is not easy to configure sound in Linux, but it works even with TV
cards!

Hardware example
IRQ=3D5
BASE IO=3D0x220                 ( IO BASE Soundblaster )
MIDI IO=3D0x300 Uart401         ( uart soundblaster )
DMA  8 Bit=3D1  SB 16   ( 8 Bit dma )
DMA 16 Bit=3D7  SB 16   ( 16 Bit dma )
SYNTHI =3D0x388 SB 16   ( FM )
GAME   =3D0x200                 ( Game )

1. Initialisation of PnP cards

First activate PnP Bios support in BIOS if possible ( all newer boards )

Create a /etc/isapnp.conf

pnpdump -c /etc/isapnp.conf /etc/isapnp.conf =

Example Vibra16c  USE YOUR BASE IO=B4s...

# *** PnP *** #
# Trying port address 0203
# Board 1 has serial identifier e5 ff ff ff ff 70 00 8c 0e

# (DEBUG)
(READPORT 0x0203)
(ISOLATE PRESERVE)
(IDENTIFY *)
(VERBOSITY 2)
(CONFLICT (IO FATAL)(IRQ FATAL)(DMA FATAL)(MEM FATAL)) # or WARNING

# Card 1: (serial identifier e5 ff ff ff ff 70 00 8c 0e)
# Vendor Id CTL0070, No Serial Number (-1), checksum 0xE5.
# Version 1.0, Vendor version 1.0
# ANSI string -->Creative ViBRA16C PnP<--
#
# Logical device id CTL0001
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x38
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3a
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3b
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3d
#
# Edit the entries below to uncomment out the configuration required.
# Note that only the first value of any range is given, this may be
changed if required
# Don't forget to uncomment the activate (ACT Y) when happy

(CONFIGURE CTL0070/-1 (LD 0
#     ANSI string -->Audio<--

(INT 0 (IRQ 5 (MODE +E)))
(DMA 0 (CHANNEL 1))
(DMA 1 (CHANNEL 7))
(IO 0 (SIZE 16) (BASE 0x0220))
(IO 1 (SIZE 2) (BASE 0x0300))
(IO 2 (SIZE 4) (BASE 0x0388))
#     End dependent functions
 (NAME "CTL0070/-1[0]{Audio               }")
 (ACT Y)
))

(CONFIGURE CTL0070/-1 (LD 1
#     Compatible device id PNPb02f
#     ANSI string -->Game<--
#    Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#         Minimum IO base address 0x0200
#         Maximum IO base address 0x0200
#         IO base alignment 1 bytes
#         Number of IO addresses required: 8
(IO 0 (SIZE 8) (BASE 0x0200))
(NAME "CTL0070/-1[1]{Game                }")
(ACT Y)
))
# End tag... Checksum 0x00 (OK)

# Returns all cards to the "Wait for Key" state
(WAITFORKEY)

If anything works you will have proper messages on startup

Kernel compilation:
compile kernel with oss soundmodules

Load Modules like this, don=B4t use modprobe!!!

Modulname               IO Adress       purpose
insmod soundcore                        oss
insmod sound                            oss
insmod uart401          io=3D0x300        Midi MPU uart 401
insmod opl3             io=3D0x388        FM Synthesizer
insmod v_midi           no              dsp chip     =

insmod sb io=3D0x220 irq=3D5 dma=3D1 dma16=3D7 mpu_io=3D0x300 =

If it works insert these lines into your .../boot.local

insmod soundcore;
insmod sound;
insmod uart401 io=3D0x300;
insmod opl3 io=3D0x388;
insmod v_midi
insmod sb io=3D0x220 irq=3D5 dma=3D1 dma16=3D7 mpu_io=3D0x300;

Info=B4s like this:
lsmod  (as root)

Module                  Size  Used by
hisax                 255248   3 =

isdn                   90476   4  [hisax]
slhc                    4756   1  [isdn]
sb                     36660   0 =

v_midi                  5276   0 =

opl3                   12008   0 =

uart401                 6416   0  [sb]
sound                  61644   0  [sb v_midi opl3 uart401]
soundcore               2788   8  [sb sound]

cat /dev/sndstat =

OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
Load type: Driver loaded as a module
Kernel: Linux hal 2.2.13 #8 Wed May 10 12:51:03 CEST 2000 i486
Config options: 0

Installed drivers: =

Card config: =

Audio devices:
0: Sound Blaster 16 (4.13) (DUPLEX)

Synth devices:
0: Yamaha OPL3

Midi devices:
0: Loopback MIDI Port 1
1: Loopback MIDI Port 2
2: Sound Blaster 16

Timers:
0: System clock

Mixers:
0: Sound Blaster

This should work,
by the way how do I use Hardware DSP with the Wave Blaster upgrade kit?
DSP Motorola 56001 ?

------------------------------

From: Simon Eilting <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which Atapi CD-RW for Linux ?
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 16:33:13 +0200

Why do you need SCSI disk support?

------------------------------

From: Tim Lyth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Play mpeg without Xwindows
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 23:58:05 +1000

I doubt that it would be possible as the screen resolution in text mode would
make for a huge movie screen or it would be massively pixelated, OR you will
have to find a program that will load a graphics display that you can run the
movies in.  Then there are sound considerations that you will need to think
about.

Cheers,

Tim Lyth

------------------------------

From: Simon Eilting <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Need soundcard suggestion.
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 16:38:19 +0200

The SBLive! doesn't have an amp.

You can use nearly every ISA soundcard for linux, but if you want to use
PCI, you should look at the kernel and its docs to see if it is
supported.

Another suggestion is SB 128, because it works well without any
configuration problems, in my case. It doesn't have an amp also.

------------------------------

From: Simon Eilting <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Best 3D card and Mobo for Linux?
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 16:42:24 +0200

The Geforce 2 is fine under linux, using the TNT2 drivers, because
Geforce is basically a TNT2 based card. Voodo cards are even more fine,
they work since over 3 years on linux

------------------------------

From: Simon Eilting <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: k6-2
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 16:47:01 +0200

OK. All the other answers are incomplete. Of course, Pentium
optimization works fine, but if you have a newer gcc version you should
invoke make like this:
   'make bzimage CFLAGS="-march=k6 -mcpu=k6"'
In the kernel versions 2.3.99 and 2.4.x there is an extra option
"K6/K62/III" in menuconfig or xconfig, which automatically uses the
k6-cflags.

------------------------------

From: Henry Garcia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.m68k,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.powerpc,comp.os.linux.security,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,comp.sys.sgi.misc,comp.sys.sinclair,comp.sys.stratus
Subject: Re: ¡YA ACTIVO! - Sexo en directo GRATIS!!! --- Live Sex FREE
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 10:44:11 -0400

Que gasten unos dias en el infierno depravado!

From: Simon Eilting <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I Did A Bad Thing...
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 16:51:25 +0200

Have you tried to do "fdisk /mbr" from a DOS boot-diskette?
Another possibillity is to save the whole DOS partition on another
partition, in your current linux-partition, for example, and then delete
the old partition and make a new one (with DOS fdisk, because linux
fdisk doesn't always work with DOS partitions)?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 03:28:09 -0500
From: Nicholas Weininger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Detecting Toshiba SD-R1002 under Linux?

I've recently purchased a Toshiba SD-R1002 combo DVD/CD-RW drive. I've
installed the drive
in the docking station of my HP OmniBook 900B, which dual-boots NT and
Debian Linux 2.2. Under NT the drive works fine, but I can't get Linux
to recognize it at bootup.

The problem seems to be some failure of probing. I get the following
output at bootup:

Jul 14 03:11:50 feynman kernel: PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev
39
Jul 14 03:11:50 feynman kernel: PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe
irqs later
Jul 14 03:11:50 feynman kernel:     ide0: BM-DMA at 0xfcf0-0xfcf7, BIOS
settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
Jul 14 03:11:50 feynman kernel:     ide1: BM-DMA at 0xfcf8-0xfcff, BIOS
settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
Jul 14 03:11:50 feynman kernel: CMD646: IDE controller on PCI bus 02 dev
60
Jul 14 03:11:50 feynman kernel: CMD646: 100% native mode on irq 10
Jul 14 03:11:50 feynman kernel:     ide2: BM-DMA at 0xdcf0-0xdcf7, BIOS
settings: hde:pio, hdf:pio
Jul 14 03:11:50 feynman kernel:     ide3: BM-DMA at 0xdcf8-0xdcff, BIOS
settings: hdg:pio, hdh:pio
Jul 14 03:11:50 feynman kernel: hda: IBM-DARA-212000, ATA DISK drive

followed by a very long (about 2 minute) pause, and then:

Jul 14 03:11:50 feynman kernel: hde: no response (status = 0xd1),
resetting drive
Jul 14 03:11:50 feynman kernel: hde: no response (status = 0xd1)
Jul 14 03:11:50 feynman kernel: ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
Jul 14 03:11:50 feynman kernel: hda: IBM-DARA-212000, 11513MB w/418kB
Cache, CHS=1559/240/63

This occurs both with kernel 2.2.14 and 2.2.16, with or without the
experimental CMD646 support compiled in.

I've read the documents on getting ATAPI CD-writers to work, and so I've
tried recompiling the kernel with ide-scsi, scsi generic support, and no
ide-cd, and I've added
append="hde=ide-scsi"

to lilo.conf and rerun lilo. This adds "SCSI host adapter emulation for
IDE ATAPI devices" to the list of SCSI hosts detected at bootup, but
does not get the drive to be detected.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Nick Weininger
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

(remove obvious spam blocker in order to reply)

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie needs help in installing LT winmodem
Date: 14 Jul 2000 14:55:45 GMT

LR <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Question: Are you sure the Lucent driver works only on RedHat.

Nonsense. It works  with whichever kernel it's built for (I have a
module  working with varous degrees of success under 2.2.10 2.2.13 and
2.2.15).

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Creative AudioPCI 128 - no MIDI
Date: 14 Jul 2000 14:59:47 GMT

Daniil Kolpakov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: "Peter T. Breuer" wrote:
:> Daniil Kolpakov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> : I have Creative Labs Sound Blaster 128 PCI. Mandrake 7.0 (Air) 's
:> : utilitys sndconfig and Lothar Sound Config say that I have Ensoniq xx70
:> : (don't remember those xx) -based card. In sndconfig's list also said
:> : that Ensoniq xx71 (not 70 as it detects) is Creative SB PCI 64/128. When
:> : I try to select 71 card it says modprobe error. With 70 module sound
:>
:> OK, so it's a 1370 (or whatever else CL are now badging as 128PCI).
:>
:> : works Ok. But no MIDI. I've tried to modprobe other modules as well,
:> : hack into config files by hand, no luck. MIDI players say I have no
:> : /dev/sequencer. & I really don't. However, it seems I have /dev/midi (?)
:>
:> You don't and you really don't. The card doesn't have midi support.
:> No hardware on board to do it.  You'll need to emulate midi in
:> software, using timidity or something like that. Isn't there a software
:> midi kernel driver nowadays too? "v_midi.o"? Try that and then a midi
:> player like kmedia or kmidi or whatever it is called. (disclaimer,
:> IANA Sound Expert).

: OK OK I see. Thanks for info (will try to find the software). Just tell
: me how does it works under DOS? It's really interesting, since DOS is
: not multitasking.

The drivers do the work (TSRs). Multitasking has nothing to do with it.

(I always wanted to post a one-line response to a 20 line post)

Peter

------------------------------

From: Simon Eilting <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: [Q]: How to transfer file from SGI O2 to PC Linux Mandrake 7 ?
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 17:00:13 +0200

You can, I'm almost sure, compile Samba for Irix, but I would prefer
using ftp or NFS. If none of these works, you can try sending the files
per e-mail

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Haynes)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: 14 Jul 2000 16:05:22 +0100

Simon Eilting <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> You can, I'm almost sure, compile Samba for Irix, but I would prefer
> using ftp or NFS. If none of these works, you can try sending the files
> per e-mail

[I've not seen the original - to what were you replying?]

Why not just get ssh installed on both ends and use scp? Or even better
still, rsync over ssh?

~Tim
--

------------------------------

From: Tony Curtis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 14 Jul 2000 10:08:07 -0500

>> On 14 Jul 2000 14:55:45 GMT,
>> "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> LR <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: : Question: Are you sure the
> Lucent driver works only on RedHat.

> Nonsense. It works with whichever kernel it's built for
> (I have a module working with varous degrees of success
> under 2.2.10 2.2.13 and 2.2.15).

I've tested it on various kernels.  2.2.12 through 2.2.14
worked fine.  The last time I looked to see if it still
works on 2.2.16, it spat out nasty messages.  It didn't
work on a 2.3 kernel (but then, I didn't really expect it
to) and I doubt it will work on 2.4 and up, but that's
pure guesswork.

hth
"With $10,000, we'd be millionaires!"
                                           Homer Simpson

------------------------------

From: Auto Cat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CPU temperature
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 23:13:55 -0700

That is why the working temperature of millitary grade IC is 105 DEG C.
It is rare to has a Kryotech system in a tank.

------------------------------

From: Krzys Majewski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 14 Jul 2000 15:18:08 GMT

What does sound have to do with X? -chris

------------------------------

From: Krzys Majewski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Sound blaster AWE64 without awe32 driver?
Date: 14 Jul 2000 08:29:25 -0700

I need a soundcard only for dsp and audio (e.g. playing .mp3's and
playing  sound files),  I  don't  need midi  right now  or
whatever synthesis features games use.  Does this mean if I replace my
current 8-bit Sound  Blaster Pro with a 16-bit  Sound Blaster AWE64 it
will work  out of the box,  or do I  really need to install  the awe32
driver?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: linux support for AMD 751 chipset & AGP graphics
Date: 14 Jul 2000 15:38:28 GMT

What's the status of these?  Can someone point me to a recent hardware FAQ?

thanks,
Sam

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: linux support for AMD 751 chipset & AGP graphics
Date: 14 Jul 2000 15:44:49 GMT

Looks like the AGP is supported....

Still looking for the chipset answer

Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 11:56:39 -0400
From: Chris Moesel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: XF86Config for ATI Rage Fury Pro

Hello,

I am trying to run Mandrake 7.1 Linux Distirubution on my system with an
ATI Rage Fury Pro 32MB AGP card.  I cannot get X to start, and I hear
that this is a somewhat common problem for the Fury Pro folks.  My
screen just flickers and has no vertical hold whatsoever.  Does anyone
know how I can configure XF86Config to get it to work, or can anyone
send me their XF86Config file?  Also, whenever I run XF86Config (the
program) it core dumps (segmentation fault) if I tell it I want to
choose from a list of video cards.

Thanks.

-chris