From: Sky Lemon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Is an optical mouse different?
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 15:48:22 GMT

Hey hey there! I have a question about optical mice: I'm using a
beautiful mouse, shaply, sleek, smooth, and sexy. In fact, the best I've
ever "had". Anywho, does this mouse talk different to the hardware it's
connected to in contrast to a wallflower PS/2 mouse? Would I be able to
use the same drivers I would for a PS/2 mouse? Well, basically, here is
my mouse setup, and I would like to know if it's possible to get it to
work with Linux (RH 7.1):

A USB Logitech MouseMan Wheel Optical Mouse, plugged into a USB to PS/2
converter, plugged into a Belkin OmniView PRO 4-Port KVM switch, plugged
into a Dell Latitude C/Port II Advanced Port Replicator.

Also, would I be able to get all three buttons to work, *and* the wheel?

Thanks!

-Chris

------------------------------

From: "Larry Kuehner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.X
Subject: I could use some help with my X config
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 10:45:52 -0700

Hi, I am having problems configuring my mouse to work in XFree. I am running
Debian on a Dell Inspirion 7500. I used to be able to get my touch pad to
work, but now it will not. I have even set everything the same as it was
when it worked. The problem might be the Mach64 server I had to get all set
up to get the display to work at higher resolutions. I got the display off
of the Linux Laptop page. I am trying to get either my touch pad, or my
Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer to work. Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you,
Larry Kuehner

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Help with DVB-0.9
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 16:53:25 GMT

Sorry for my potentially stupid questions (I am just starting with
linux)
I got stack to installing the tuxzap application...

The last step of the installation says to issue make in the apps
directory, This eventually sends a make in the tuxzap directory.. omny
there is no makefile.
Do I meed to make the makefile somehow??

Thanks

Al

------------------------------

From: "Peter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is an optical mouse different?
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 17:06:39 GMT

I artikeln <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev "Sky Lemon"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hey hey there! I have a question about optical mice: I'm using a
> beautiful mouse, shaply, sleek, smooth, and sexy. In fact, the best I've
> ever "had". Anywho, does this mouse talk different to the hardware it's
> connected to in contrast to a wallflower PS/2 mouse? Would I be able to
> use the same drivers I would for a PS/2 mouse? Well, basically, here is
> my mouse setup, and I would like to know if it's possible to get it to
> work with Linux (RH 7.1):
>
> A USB Logitech MouseMan Wheel Optical Mouse, plugged into a USB to PS/2
> converter, plugged into a Belkin OmniView PRO 4-Port KVM switch, plugged
> into a Dell Latitude C/Port II Advanced Port Replicator.
>
> Also, would I be able to get all three buttons to work, *and* the wheel?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Chris

I'm not an expert, but AFAIK just because your mouse is optical doesn't
mean it's using another protocol. PS/2 should work just fine.

I have the exact same mouse, although non-optical, and the buttons and
wheel work great. I connect it straight to the USB-port though.

However, I've heard some stories about the mousewheel not working to well
when using a switch.

Nice to hear it's a nice mouse though, I've been planning on getting it
myself.

/Peter

------------------------------

From: The Linux AntiChrist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.sgi.graphics,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: yes, 2 SGI 1600sw LCD panels DO work in linux in dualhead mode!
Date: 19 May 2001 17:08:59 GMT

In comp.sys.sgi.graphics Joshua Baker-LePain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.hardware The Linux AntiChrist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Look, I have no idea where your vitriol for Linux comes from, and I really
> don't care.  But I'm really sick of it.  If you cannot understand that
> people use whatever works best for a given set of needs/limitations, then
> you are the one with a limited intellect.  If you can't make constructive
> posts (and I have yet to see one from you), then, please, keep your idiocy
> to yourself.

the original idiot comes here and complains that there is no contrast
control for linux when linux is not supported by the 1600sw.  he also
demands that it be open sourced in the usual whiny linux tirade when
something they want isnt there for them.  so tough shit he gets flamed.

> Oh yeah,  *plonk*.

how clever.

cheers.

------------------------------

From: Roger Lindmark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Add IDE CDRW to system with SCSI-host adapter AHA-1542
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 19:57:47 +0200

Hi, all!

I have now struggled two months with this problem and its time to ask for
help.

RedHat Linux 7.1
Adaptec AHA-1542B SCSI hostadapter ISA, which BIOS is disabled as the card
is jumpered to IRQ 10.
Philips CDRW CDD 3610

Upon installation of RedHat 7.1 the CDRW is installed and functions both
with XCDRoast and as CDrom.

The Adaptec AHA-1542B is not recognized, but the driver can be loaded by:
modprobe aha1542 aha1542=0x130,11,4,5. I can after this get XSane working.

I then got the information that the aha1542 must be compiled in the kernel.
I compiled the kernel 2.4.4 with the aha1542 integrated. When I tested the
kernel and added to lilo.conf:
append="hdc=ide-scsi aha1542=0x130,11,4,5"

both the SCSI-card and the scanner is recognized at bootup. The scanner
works together with Xsane, but now I have the problem that I cant use the
CDRW as cdrom. I read in the CDwriting how to that the CDRW must be
recognized by the SCSI-card BIOS to be able to be used as CDrom. As my SCSI
card is disabled this is not possible. I wonder, if there is a work around?

Here is the output of : cdrecord -scanbus

Cdrecord 1.9 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.17
Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) *
        0,1,0     1) *
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) 'SCANNER ' '                ' '1.00' Scanner
        0,7,0     7) *
scsibus1:
        1,0,0   100) 'PHILIPS ' 'CDD3610 CD-R/RW ' '3.01' Removable CD-ROM
        1,1,0   101) *
        1,2,0   102) *
        1,3,0   103) *
        1,4,0   104) *
        1,5,0   105) *
        1,6,0   106) *
        1,7,0   107) *

Sincerely Yours

Roger
--
Roger Lindmark
OS/2 Warp 4.06

------------------------------

From: Bryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.sgi.graphics,comp.os.linux.x
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 17:57:44 -0000

In comp.sys.sgi.graphics The Linux AntiChrist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In comp.sys.sgi.graphics Joshua Baker-LePain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> In comp.os.linux.hardware The Linux AntiChrist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Look, I have no idea where your vitriol for Linux comes from, and I really
>> don't care.  But I'm really sick of it.  If you cannot understand that
>> people use whatever works best for a given set of needs/limitations, then
>> you are the one with a limited intellect.  If you can't make constructive
>> posts (and I have yet to see one from you), then, please, keep your idiocy
>> to yourself.

> the original idiot comes here and complains that there is no contrast
> control for linux when linux is not supported by the 1600sw.

linux IS supported; xfree86 has had support for the #9 i128 cards since
3.3.6, I believe.  even a troll like you should be able to see that if the
x-server is supported, then there's no good reason why something as mundane
as a software-based brightness control can't be.

> he also
> demands that it be open sourced in the usual whiny linux tirade when
> something they want isnt there for them.  so tough shit he gets flamed.

I made no 'demands'.  I'm irate, yes.  you would be too if something so
simple was left out of a solution.

sgi talks a good game about linux.  I'm not the one that started them on this
track of theirs; they voluntarily chose to support linux.  so, SUPPORT IT!
don't do it half-assed - either do it right or quit trying to be a linux
company.

if they never had released an x-server for the #9 i128-fp cards, then
I wouldn't have bought any of these displays.  and there would be
nothing to 'whine' about since linux would clearly not be a supported
o/s.  but they DO claim linux support.  sorry you have a problem with
that (die-hard irix bigot, maybe?  nt weenie?)

you can argue semantics about WHO actually released the x-server code;
was it #9 alone?  sgi?  both?  to the end user, it really doesn't
matter.  the xfree86 x-server would not have been released if both #9
and sgi didn't think it was in their best interests to do that.  no
one forced them; at the time that the 320 came out, there was only
internal linux support (ie, within the company).  sgi was betting on
the WBT (wintel box thing) that ran NT.  they very quickly abandoned NT
(and the 320 box, as well) and now sgi's trying to preach credibility in the
linux camp.  all I'm asking is that they put their money where their mouth is
and release specs on the damned brightness control.  I'll implement the
code - I'm not asking them for code - just specs so that SOMEONE who didn't
sign an NDA can provide this useful utility to all the non irix and non NT
users.

(oh, and btw, xfree86 != linux.  get that straight mr. troll)

--
My email addr can be found on my web page:  http://www.snmp tools.org
    Please DON'T send me email when you're posting a follow-up.

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help with DVB-0.9
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 19:49:56 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> The last step of the installation says to issue make in the apps
> directory, This eventually sends a make in the tuxzap directory.. omny
> there is no makefile.
> Do I meed to make the makefile somehow??

Probably with ./configure. What do the INSTALL instructions say?

Or it may be a simple mistake. Talk to the author about it. He'll be
glad to know.

Peter

------------------------------

From: Colin Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.sgi.graphics,comp.os.linux.x
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 13:07:08 -0500

Bryan wrote:

> linux IS supported; xfree86 has had support for the #9 i128 cards since
> 3.3.6, I believe.  even a troll like you should be able to see that if the
> x-server is supported, then there's no good reason why something as mundane
> as a software-based brightness control can't be.

Nowhere on the SGI 1600SW compatibility list is GNU/Linux or XFree86
mentioned. They do indeed list the Number Nine graphics card, but only
for Windows 98 and Windows NT.

The FAQ does mention the use of the 1600SW of Linux systems, but I see
no official statement of support. The information on the use of the
1600SW with XFree86 appears to be a workaround at best. In fact, the
three links for "more information" are to external sites, not
SGI-provided support information.

> sgi talks a good game about linux.  I'm not the one that started them on this
> track of theirs; they voluntarily chose to support linux.  so, SUPPORT IT!
> don't do it half-assed - either do it right or quit trying to be a linux
> company.

Welcome to SGI Linux. Completely ignore and fail to market the MIPS/IRIX
systems that work and are indeed supported, and instead make a big
splash about machines that are little more than OEM PCs. Linux users
aren't the only disgusted ones, we MIPS/IRIX users aren't too happy
either. The once true leader has gained a taste for mediocrity and is
quickly morphing its product line and price lists to be "the worst of
both worlds".

- Colin

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 20:09:11 +0200

Roger Lindmark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> RedHat Linux 7.1
> Adaptec AHA-1542B SCSI hostadapter ISA, which BIOS is disabled as the card

As far as I recall, RH messed up the scsi on their first release. Get the
corrected kernel from their errata.

Peter

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.X
Subject: Re: I could use some help with my X config
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 13:03:03 -0500

Larry Kuehner wrote:

> Hi, I am having problems configuring my mouse to work in XFree. I am running
> Debian on a Dell Inspirion 7500. I used to be able to get my touch pad to
> work, but now it will not. I have even set everything the same as it was
> when it worked. The problem might be the Mach64 server I had to get all set
> up to get the display to work at higher resolutions. I got the display off
> of the Linux Laptop page. I am trying to get either my touch pad, or my
> Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer to work. Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
> Larry Kuehner

Which kernel are you running?  Also, what exactly are the
symptoms you see when configuring X.  On my Winbook XL, under RH7.1
with 2.4.2 kernel, there is an interrupt conflict between the
pcmcia controller and the PS/2 mouse, which is a bit subtle.
It arose only under the 2.4 kernels.  I have a workaround.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Dave Uhring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.X
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 13:44:25 -0500

Larry Kuehner wrote:

> Hi, I am having problems configuring my mouse to work in XFree. I am
> running Debian on a Dell Inspirion 7500. I used to be able to get my touch
> pad to work, but now it will not. I have even set everything the same as
> it was when it worked. The problem might be the Mach64 server I had to get
> all set up to get the display to work at higher resolutions. I got the
> display off of the Linux Laptop page. I am trying to get either my touch
> pad, or my Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer to work. Any help will be
> appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
> Larry Kuehner

For XFree86-4

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/psaux"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

For XFree86-3

Section "Pointer"
    Protocol    "IMPS/2"
    Device      "/dev/psaux"

#    For wheel support - can not be used with Emulate3Buttons
#
    ZAxisMapping 4 5

# When using XQUEUE, comment out the above two lines, and uncomment
# the following line.
#    Protocol   "Xqueue"

# Baudrate and SampleRate are only for some Logitech mice
#    BaudRate   9600
#    SampleRate 150

# Emulate3Buttons is an option for 2-button Microsoft mice
# Emulate3Timeout is the timeout in milliseconds (default is 50ms)
#   Emulate3Buttons
#    Emulate3Timeout    50

# ChordMiddle is an option for some 3-button Logitech mice
#    ChordMiddle

EndSection

Don't know about touchpads.  Mice I do know.
Above configs "ASSUME" connection to PS/2 port, YMMV.

------------------------------

From: Sky Lemon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 18:47:08 GMT

Peter wrote:

> I artikeln <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev "Sky Lemon"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> > Hey hey there! I have a question about optical mice: I'm using a
> > beautiful mouse, shaply, sleek, smooth, and sexy. In fact, the best I've
> > ever "had". Anywho, does this mouse talk different to the hardware it's
> > connected to in contrast to a wallflower PS/2 mouse? Would I be able to
> > use the same drivers I would for a PS/2 mouse? Well, basically, here is
> > my mouse setup, and I would like to know if it's possible to get it to
> > work with Linux (RH 7.1):
> >
> > A USB Logitech MouseMan Wheel Optical Mouse, plugged into a USB to PS/2
> > converter, plugged into a Belkin OmniView PRO 4-Port KVM switch, plugged
> > into a Dell Latitude C/Port II Advanced Port Replicator.
> >
> > Also, would I be able to get all three buttons to work, *and* the wheel?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > -Chris
> >

> I'm not an expert, but AFAIK just because your mouse is optical doesn't
> mean it's using another protocol. PS/2 should work just fine.
>
> I have the exact same mouse, although non-optical, and the buttons and
> wheel work great. I connect it straight to the USB-port though.
>
> However, I've heard some stories about the mousewheel not working to well
> when using a switch.
>
> Nice to hear it's a nice mouse though, I've been planning on getting it
> myself.
>
> /Peter

Hmm, the mouse is indeed great. And all of the mouse's functionality worked
with Win2K Pro, even though the Belkin switch must "emulate" some other,
generic sort of mouse. Maybe it emulated a 3-Button wheel mouse, whose wheel
is also a 'button' (pressed down)? But that would be too good ;-) What I'm
most concerned with is how to tell linux whether I'm using that mouse (when
I'm docked), and to disable the touchpad, and when not to use that mouse.

Thanks for your response.

-Chris

------------------------------

From: Roger Lindmark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 21:09:10 +0200

Peter T. Breuer wrote:

> Roger Lindmark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> RedHat Linux 7.1
>> Adaptec AHA-1542B SCSI hostadapter ISA, which BIOS is disabled as the
>> card
>
> As far as I recall, RH messed up the scsi on their first release. Get the
> corrected kernel from their errata.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I do not think it will help me, as the
kernel of RedHat 7.0 had the identical behaviour. In addition, I am now
using 2.4.4 kernel and my problem is how to get the IDE CDRW also work as
CDrom.

Sincerely Yours

Roger
--
Roger Lindmark
OS/2 Warp 4.06

------------------------------

From: Roger Lindmark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Adding Adaptec Card and Tape drive after installation
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 21:04:35 +0200

Joseph Clarke wrote:

> I have a bit of a problem installing my SCSI card and Tape drive.  I have
> had RH7 running about a month or so.  Today I installed and Adaptec
> AHA-1540CF / 1542CF.  Address is DC000h, Interupt is 11.  DMA is 5.  Card
> SCSI ID is 7, Tape drive (Archive) SCSI ID is 0.  Bios on the card is
> enabled.
>
> The computer itself sees the card and tape drive at boot-up.  When Linux
> loads, it doesn't see any new hardware when it boots.  I am hoping I
> don't have to configure a new kernal.  I attempted this last week, and
> kept getting an error during the compile.
>
> I also have attempted to do a non-destructive upgrade, but nothing comes
> up as far as SCSI.   I have looked for How-to's and have also checked 3
> books.  I can't find anything.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

I have had problems to get my AHA-1542B installed and I have struggled two
months with it. Here are some suggestions:
Try to load the driver from the commandpromt:
modprobe aha1542

If you get error messages try instead:
modprobe aha1542 aha1542=0x330,11,4,5
0x330 should be the cards IOaddress
11 bus on (default)
4 bus off (default)
5 DMA speed (default)

List then loaded modules by:
lsmod

aha1542 should be there if it has been loaded by modprobe.

After that try: echo "scsi add-single-device 1 0 X 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi

where X is the number for the tape device, maybe 0 as you said. I am not
sure.

Check then with cat /proc/scsi/scsi and your tape drive should be listed.
You can also check with cdrecord -scanbus command.

If this works try to add the modprobe statement that worked to lilo.conf,
as I have done in my lilo.conf below.

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-2
        label=linux
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda8
        append="aha1542=0x130,11,4,5"

After that run:
/sbin/lilo

Reboot and check if your SCSI-card is recognised. Look in /var/log/dmesg

This was not enough for me, as I had to compile the kernel to integrate the
aha1542 driver and in addition I had to have the append statement in
lilo.conf (above) to get the SCSI-card recognised by Linux. Now the
SCSI-card and scanner is working.

Good luck!

Roger
--