Hi, Mark.

Mark Lord wrote:
After a week of further experience with this patch,
I regretfully inform one and all that it does not
entirely fix the lockups.

My system has experienced three of them during the
past 24 hours.. after many days without.

 Oh.. crap.

I'm now reverting to the original "broken" patch
that keeps my system alive.

Cheers!

I've been trying to reproduce your lockup here, but haven't succeeded yet. I'm currently doing multiple "while true; do cat /dev/sr0; done", bonnie, raw random IOs (latter two are to give some randomness to test condition).

I'm also digging code to discover how exactly the lockup loop occurs. My lockup was between scsi_softirq and scsi_eh_scmd_add (EIP jumped between the two functions), and I orginally assumed adding eh_entry to corrupt eh_cmd_q screwed local_q iteration in scsi_softirq. And as clearing eh_cmd_q solved my problem, I didn't look into it further.

If possible, can you please hook up your notebook to a serial console and, when lockup occurs (with or without INIT_LIST_HEAD one liner), dump call trace by ctrl-alt-sysrq-p multiple times (10times across 5secs should do, I think) to verify that we're looking at the same problem? It would be best if I can find a way to reproduce it here, but the busy loop has been running for two hours now and nothing happened. :-(

 Thanks.

--
tejun