Tejun Heo wrote:
Mark Lord wrote:
Tejun Heo wrote:
This patch implements libata.force module parameter which can
selectively override ATA port, link and device configurations
including cable type, SATA PHY SPD limit, transfer mode and NCQ.
+    libata.force=    [LIBATA] Force configurations.  The format is comma
+            separated list of "[ID:]VAL" where ID is
+            PORT[:DEVICE].  PORT and DEVICE are decimal numbers
+            matching port, link or device.  Basically, it matches
..

Mmm.. not a NAK, but is there also a way to set/change these on the fly?

What do you mean by 'on the fly'?  While the system is running?  If so,
I think that should be done through other interfaces - pass through,
sysfs, etc...
..

Yes, that's the type of thing I had in mind.
Some way to accomplish similar forced settings *after* libata is loaded.

Now mind you, it's more likely the PCI layer that does the reverse
order thing, but the end result is that my drives/ports are numbered
differently depending upon which kernel I happen to boot with.

Heck... That's ugly.  libata.force is mainly conceived as debugging /
installation helper, so using fixed PORT is good enough but maybe
allowing bus_id as PORT is useful?  Something like [00:1f.2]:00?
..

It's just plain ugly the way it works, but livable (barely).
We might actually have a use here for something similar to "ide=reverse",
which was intended for exactly this kind of situation.

But such usability flags seem to be in disfavour nowadays.

Cheers!