Hi, Gilad!

On Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 03:05:31PM +0300, you wrote the following:

> > > The easiest solution is:
> > >
> > > 1. Install on the Firewall machine both the bridging patch and the IP
> > > firewalling on a bridge patch that can be found at
> > > http://www.openrock.net/bridge.
> > >

> > I never tried that one. won't the bridging code bypass the forwarding
> > rules of the IP stack, as it works at the 2nd layer, before the TCP/IP
> > stack is used? that would defeat the purpose of a firewall I think...
> >

> In the URL I gave there is a patch to allow filtering of IP packets (I
> should really say Ethernet frames containing IP packets) by IPchains when
> they pass through the bridging code.
>
> It works beautifuly - really one of the coolest hacks I've seen. ;-)

I agree that this is an amazing hack; question is whether it's stable
enough to use on a production firewall. Lets not forget that it's not
even in the mainstream kernel yet (which may or may not be an
indicator).

--
Alex Shnitman                            | http://www.debian.org
[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]   +-----------------------

"Everything that can be invented has been invented."
        -- Charles Duell, head of the U.S. Patent Office, 1899