On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Nadav Har'El wrote:

> > <snip>

> > > volatile
> >
> > GCC still complains. Any other ideas?

Well you were right Omer, removing the static did it. Thanks ;-)

> 3. Some C compilers I knew had commands #ident (or something like that, I don't
>    remember) that did exactly what you want, and you didn't even have to
>    worry about the string name (you did something like '#ident "@(#)Hello 1.0"').
>    Maybe gcc also has it?

GCC indeed supports #ident.

Alas, the info page says you have to define the ASM_OUT_IDENT macro as "A
C statement to output something to the assembler file to handle a #ident'
directive containing the text STRING" to use it, and then adds:  "If this
macro is not defined, nothing is output for a `#ident' directive."

I am not men enough to do this ;-)

---
Gilad Ben-Yossef <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                                          Tel:  +972-54756701
   GP: Is Eris true?                      Fax:  +972-15154756701
   M2: Everything is true.                HTTP: http://benyossef.com
   GP: Even false things?                 GPG:  64C5 8B59 74D5 8FAE F097
   M2: Even false things are true.              8DF8 4590 CE75 F444 6178
   GP: How can that be?                   SMS:  http://benyossef.com/how.html
   M2: I don't know man,I didn't do it.   IRC:  Fidros