I hope it's not a transparent proxy problem. If it is,
you probably couldn't skip it and not even sure if you
could verify if you're indeed behind one (since the
connection appears as if from you).

Had any better luck with connections to non 80 port?
SSLed (https) sites maybe?

--
Best regards,
Ilya Konstantinov