This is apparently a known problem. You need to do the following:

rm -f /var/run/pptp/10.0.0.138

after "killall pptp", or the call manager won't reconnect.
I finally checked out my scripts, which re-connect to adsl automagically
(numerous disconnects and power outages today), so I'll post link to them
here later today. They handle this automatically.

Haim.