> For a project I may need a SMP motherboard with the following specs:
> 1. 3 processors.
> 2. Linux support is mandatory.
> 3. Processors from Intel or its competitors - advantage (i.e. Alpha,
>    Sparc, etc. are at disadvantage).
>
> As of now, I am not familiar with the Israeli market of such workhorses.
> I would like to know if and where are the following:
> 1. Vendors
> 2. Israel based mailing lists/discussion groups
> 3. Users who have the time, knowledge and inclination to give advice to a
> newcomer.

I never worked with SMP but I do believe that the following LDP docs can get
you started:

4.1.7. Parallel Processing

   Parallel-Processing-HOWTO, Linux Parallel Processing HOWTO

   Updated: January 1998. Discusses the four basic approaches to parallel
   processing that are available to Linux users: SMP Linux systems,
   clusters of networked Linux systems, parallel execution using
   multimedia instructions (i.e., MMX), and attached (parallel) processors
   hosted by a Linux system.

   SMP-HOWTO, Linux SMP HOWTO

   Updated: October 2000. Reviews main issues related to SMP
   configuration under Linux.

Just to emphasize: although
    1. I have no SMP experience
    2. I never read those docs
    3. it does not seem directly related to what you were asking about,
if I were you I would consider starting with those.

I hope it helpful.

> On Tue, 15 May 2001, Pasha Zusmanovich wrote:
>
> > Marc A. Volovic wrote:
> > >
> > > In any case, I _am_ refering to non-ia{32,64} architechtures, myself
> > > being an owner of an SS5, SS20 and a non-functional Alpha 21164 (which
> > > lacks memory and motherboard ;-).
> > >
> > > You are right that there are no Israel-specific issues with non-Redmond
> > > (or, rather, Santa Clara) hardware. However, a foot-and-mouth count of
> > > people who have such beasts at home would be nice, as well as possible
> > > pooling of semi-defunct hardware into something that may be used.
> > >

> > uh. it would be nice indeed (speaking as proud owner of (totally)
> > nonfunctional sun-1 (sic!)). this is somewhat orthogonal to linux
> > though, so I doubt this list would be a good place for it.
>
>                                              --- Omer
> WARNING TO SPAMMERS:  at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html

        Shaul Karl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hillel used to say: If I am not for myself who will be for me?
Yet, if I am for myself only, what am I? And if not now, when?
                                          (Ethics Of The Fathers 1:14)