On Thu, Jun 12, 2003, Arie Folger wrote about "AOL doesn't accept mail - free relaying
of email":
> to the outside world, definitely not as a mail server. So, am I right to
> conclude that this complaint of AOL's is directed towards my ISP? Or is it
> towards the ADSL router of ours?

We're missing a lot of information. How do you normally send email? Do you
send all the outgoing mail to your ISP's mail server, or do you send mail
directly from the ADSL-connected machine? If you use your ISP's mail server
for outgoing mail, what server is this?

Looking at your post, I see you sent it through 212.40.5.186, the mail
server of some Swiss ISP (?!). This mail server is not on any blacklist
that I know of, so I don't understand where your problem comes from. So to
try to help you, I'd need to see AOL's bounce, and an example of the full
headers of your outgoing mail.

> Also, I mailed them a complaint letter why they shouldn't maintain such a
> policy, but they didn't even bother to reply.

For people like me, who get 5-10 times more spam than important email in
a day, not dealing with spam is not an option.

Certainly it would have been better if every user had the option of how to
deal with spam instead of the ISP defining ISP-wide blocks, but frankly
AOL's users have the right to switch ISP if the blocking bothers them.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |     Thursday, Jun 12 2003, 12 Sivan 5763
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Drink varnish and you'll get a lovely