There is two ways to approach the fact that there are cockroaches in the world. One is to try having them away from you, and another is to understand how come they survive so well.

And in fact I don't think that you can be really effective about the former without the latter.

Despite my annoyance when spam hits my own mailbox and my opinion of those who practice it, I think that there is something fascinating about spam. It's the fact that it's actually working. I mean, someone is making money out of it, otherwise it would have stopped a long time ago.

Who is earning the money, then? How many mails do you have to send in order to get a fruitful response? What does a spamming businessplan look like? How large is its margins?

Has anyone seen a clean business analysis of spam? Does it really work, to send thousands of mail messages at random? Will that pay the bill of your internet connection?

The answer may be negative. It's possible that the only ones who make the money, are those sell discs with e-mail addresses.

Spam filters are like killing cockroaches with a shoe. If you really want to get rid of them, you have to start understand what keeps them going.

Eli