Lior Kesos wrote:

Shany Pozin wrote:

We (Hadassah College - Computer Science) want to give
a course in "Computer Aided Software Engineering (CASE)"
and are looking for and open source solution instead of purchasing Rational ClearCase.
I would appreciate anybody's suggestions.

Josh Roden

Isn't clearcase simply a realy serious,mature and commercial CVS?

I think that sentance is probably wrong on each and every claim it is making. ClearCase (or, more precisely, the rational product management suite) is much more than CVS. For example, it allows hard linking between the revision control and the bugs database.
On the other hand, it is also not mature. I have seen at least one company where there was a migration from CVS to CC, and the result was a general uproar. The migration caused things, generally, to become slower, less intuative, and more difficult.

As for serious - well, when someone had a problem of exeeding quota, where the system claimed that he takes 500MB in modified sources (i.e. - the system more or less claimed that he typed 500MB of sources), I find it hard to call that serious. I will agree that the system is commercial, though :-)

cvs is preinstalled or available in practically any linux distro.
http://www.cvshome.org/ for detailed information .

Add to that bugzilla for change management, and your'e pretty much set to go.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Open Source integration consultant

  • Com... Josh Roden
    • ... Shany Pozin
      • ... Tzahi Fadida
      • ... Lior Kesos
        • ... Shachar Shemesh
          • ... Yaacov Fenster - System Engineering Troubleshooting and other miracles
            • ... Shachar Shemesh
          • ... Rony Shapiro
            • ... Tzahi Fadida
              • ... Shlomi Fish