Folks,

As much as I like CVS, it is not a full-blown configuration management
system, and a configuration management system is not a CASE tool.

I don't want to start a Holy War, but CVS is great for tracking changes at
the file and directory level, but it lacks built-in support for getting
"meta-data" on the changes, i.e., to answer queries like "what files were
changed for bugfix 17, when and by whom?" and "what bugfixes made it into
release 3.4?". Also, it has no explicit idea of a development cycle (coding,
unit test, integration, release, maintenance). Again, I *like* CVS, and it's
fine for small industrial projects, or even large open source projects, but
it's not a full configuration management tool.

Rational Rose, OTOH, *is* a CASE tool. That is, it allows one to draw
various UML diagrams, check their syntax, annotate the sematics, generate
code, etc. etc. But for educational purposes, I think the important thing to
get across is the importance of a formal notation, and a development
process, and for this Xfig (or Visio) is Good Enough (tm).

Just my 0.02 NIS.

        Rony

  • Com... Josh Roden
    • ... Shany Pozin
      • ... Tzahi Fadida
      • ... Lior Kesos
        • ... Shachar Shemesh
          • ... Yaacov Fenster - System Engineering Troubleshooting and other miracles
            • ... Shachar Shemesh
          • ... Rony Shapiro
            • ... Tzahi Fadida
              • ... Shlomi Fish