Ez-Aton wrote:

What is 03:09 device? Check your /proc/bus/devices and/or your disk section in /proc.

If I'm not mistaken - that should be /dev/hda9, which is where /home is mounted from (and where all the processes that failed had open files).

Do you get to hear weird noises out of your computer during such a case?

No, and neither do the rest of the system lock up. I can continue working in text mode, and in fact read and write the logs (where these messages were brought to you from). The harddisk, as I mentioned before, is brand new.

Do dmesg | grep 03 and check what 03:09 refers to. It might be bad blocks (my guess)

That was original guess. However, repeating the same processes that failed once did not produce the same symptoms. The two times report very different blocks as causing the problems. Also, the rest of the disk seems to function without a problem.

or it might be some PCI device malefunctioning.

I'm now leaning torwards a reiserfs deadlock of some kind. The problem is just not reproducable enough.

My two cents and a dime.

Ez.

Don't know about this problem, but why are do you keep just about every
module under the sun loaded?

I don't go around unloading them, if that's what you are asking. The Debian initrd process loads just about every single IDE driver, and most of them remain there. PIIX is the only one actually used.

Also do you think its reiserfs thats causing the problems? (I see you
also have ext2 and ext3 modules loaded).

I have 1 ext partition (/boot). Everything else is reiserfs. Not to mention the fact that the string vs-3050 only appears inside reiserfs.

What is your root's file system (the question is raised since its
supposed to be compiled in and I see reiserfs, ext2 and ext3 are
modules).

The root filesystem is not compiled in. RTFM initrd.

--
Shachar Shemesh
Open Source integration consultant