On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 21:27, Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 09:16:01PM +0200, Ariel Biener wrote:
> > On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote:
> >

> > > It makes no difference at all. What purpose would it supposedly serve?
> >
> > Freing up memory,
>
> Until recently, unloading module didn't actually free up the memory,
> IIRC. In any case, we're talking about minuscule ammount of
> memory.

The module should free all its memory on remove or its causing memory
leaks.
The kernel itself frees up the memory used for keeping track of the
module.
The amount of memory actually freed depends on the module.
It could affect performance too, depending on the module as loading the
module can cause callbacks to be called.
It also opens security risks as there are more things to exploit.