Quoting Oleg Goldshmidt, from the post of Thu, 27 Jan:

> What's the binary part? I don't see anything binary in the aic7xxx
> tree. Everything is under GPL except one module which is unde Dial
> BSD/GPL.
>
> There are CLI RAID tools that Adaptec distribute as binaries, but that's
> unrelated.

can't remember at the moment if it's a firmware block or whatever it
was, but it is not included in the kernel tree because of licensing
reasons. Red Hat includes it directly from Adaptec's site because their
views of free software are a bit different lately I guess. Oddly this is
the first non-free driver to come out of Adaptec in years, I don't know
what came over THEM either.

--
Your Butterfly
Ira Abramov