ATI has just released a new set of i386 and x86-64 drivers.
While they are still inferior to nVidia performance wise, ATI seems to be doing it's best to close the gap.

For now, I'd stick to nVidia. (Which has it's own set of problems... While my GF4, FX5700 and  FX5900 work just fine, my new FX600GT crashes constantly :/)

Gilboa