On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 10:18 +0300, Ori Idan wrote:
> I think this is an academic debate if GNU/Linux is more secured or not.
>
> For the simple people, let us look at the facts:
>
> 1. When was the last time any of this list members has seen a virus in
> his GNU/Linux desktop? (I guess the answer is never)
>
> 2. When was the last time you had a spyware in your desktop? (again the
> answer is never)

Another criterion is the level of severity of publicized vulnerabilities
in MS-Windows based vs. Free Software based operating systems and
applications.

The non-quantified gut feeling is that the typical case is that a
MS-Windows/IE vulnerability is a critical one, which allows a malicious
hacker to take over your PC and turn it into a zombie at one step.  This
can happen even if you do not make the mistake of authorizing malicious
software to be installed.

The typical serious Linux/FireFox vulnerability still requires some
additional vulnerabilities and/or operator mistakes to cause a break-in.

This reminds me of recent news about Symbian OS based viruses.  It turns
out that so far, in every case, in order for a virus to actually spread,
the Symbian OS based cellular phone user needs to explicitly permit the
receipt of a message and/or installation of software on his cellular
phone.  So the stories about Symbian OS viruses look to me thus far like
a spin by their competitors.
                                           --- Omer
--
MS-Windows is the Pal-Kal of the PC world.

I may be affiliated in any way.