ok I just killed it.

Ignoring the instructions I got from googling.

how should I proceed now.

what I did was copy the config from my running kernel and the remove a
few obvious things and then
fakeroot make-kpkg --append-to-version -vanilla --revision 0.1
kernel_image

btw the kernel_image should that be there? is that supposed to be
substitued for something else?

Tzafrir mentioned: make-kpkg --rootcmd fakeroot

Thanks
Aaron