On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 13:58 +1100, Amos Shapira wrote:
> On 10/31/05, Aaron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 11:56 +1100, Amos Shapira wrote:
> > > What's your PATH ("echo $PATH")?
> > demudi  linux $ echo $PATH
> > /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games
> > demudi  linux $
>
> And you get "command not found" when doing "ls" with this path?
> Is "ls" aliased to something?
>
> > > I'd reckon it's a favourite passtime for "real" linux users to try to get
> > > out of
> > > any "broken" situation without having to (in degrading order of
> > > preferences)
> > > kill-program/exit-shell/logout/kill-xserver
> > > (ctrl-backspace)/reboot/reinstall.
> > > I think it's a very instructive experience to try to achieve these
> > > goals (what is
> > > a learned "for fun" one day can come up as a real session-saver on
> > > another,
> > > "/usr/bin/reset" might turn out to be more useful than you would
> > > normally expect :).
I didn't catch this the first time, but did a man reset and now I see
what you mean :)
thanks
aaron
> > not sure I get your point, I do know that expeinced users don't do what
> > I do, but search for the cause of the problem and a solution. I usually
> > panic and try the above options...
>
> My point is that if you get to it - it's worth trying to dig and find answers
> to these problems so next time they come around you are ready to smuck
> them in the face once and for all, otherwise you'll never become an
> "experienced linux user" (or you might become "experienced linux installer"
> :).
the latter is still more the case although less and less.

> > scsi7 (0:0): rejecting I/O to dead device
> >  my cdr started doing this after ram upgrade
>
> Looks like some device-sensing daemon probing the cd for a media,
> not too worrying (and you could have clipped the identical lines in the
> message).
>
> > -------------------clip---------------------------
> > Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi9, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
> > Attached scsi generic sg0 at scsi9, channel 0, id 0, lun 0,  type 0
> > usb-storage: device scan complete
> > EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended
> > EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended
>
> Have you crashed your system lately?

it happens on occasion ie my ups broke and computers at home.
> Have you executed fsck afterward?

no I use ext3 file system and thought the journalling was enough (truth
to tell I couldn't figure out how to run it under ext3)

> Try taking the system down to single-user mode

on redhat this was a simple matter I also keep forgetting how to go to
single-user mode on debian.

> (remember - try to avoid
> a full reboot) unmount and fsck all filesystems except for the root
> filesystem.
> Actually - if you are not sure (are you?) then reboot and check whether there
> are such warnings about your root filesystem too.
> Consider moving to ext3 (no need to reformat the filesystem, I've never
> done this myself but I read it's just a matter of running "tune2fs -j
> <device file>"
> and updating the filesystem type in /etc/fstab)
>
> > printk: 77 messages suppressed.
> > UDP: short packet: From 213.97.234.10:39074 35764/43 to
> > 192.117.110.160:356
>
> Have you setup a firewall on your computer? Have you taken down all
> unnecessary services (this is apparently unrelated to your problem but still)?

no I haven't set up a firewall and I have unnecessary services
<embarrassed sigh>
I will remove the extra junk and setup a firewall....
toda
Aaron