not that it will help you this time, but for next time:

when i interview in companies and we get to the "terms of employment"
stage, i clearly state that i require having a linux desktop. in my first
few jobs, i simply had a linux desktop and that's it. exchange weasn't
so popular back then, and since i did unix development, there was rarely
a need for a windows PC for me (i wrote documentation in HTML).
in the previous company i was given a VMWare workstation license to run
windows on my linux in order to use various windows-specific applications
(which were required for the job). in the current company i was given two
PCs - one with windows and one with linux.

note: i only worked in small companies, which tend to be flexible about
these issues. they say "for a lousy 3000 shmeckels i don't intend to
reject a work candidate that i want to employ". note that this is simply
part of the standard benefits and work-conditions negotiation - so it is
perfectly legitimate to raise it at this point in time. it is also easier
to get it at this stage.

do note that you should be able to manage your own PC, without putting an
extra burden on the sys admin(s). ofcourse, this might be different if the
company's system people already manage linux PCs and preffer to do it
themselves. i personally preffer having the root password ;)

--guy

--
guy

"For world domination - press 1,