On May 20, 2009, at 5:13 PM, sammy ominsky wrote:

Thanks for the plug, but I don't think we're what he would consider "cheap". Unlimited calling to the US and Israel would be $31/month, with a DID in either the US or Israel (077 or 072). That's fine for a landline replacement, or if he's staying abroad, but for occasional use from a wifi phone, it's more than I'd want to pay.

The weekend after my mother died a friend tried to call me on my olehphone line and could get through. My HOT connection to the outside world had died taking my Internet connection, etc with it. Sunday morning a tech came out and spent an hour and half in the rain fixing it.

Saturdy night a friend of mine called to console me and a month later found out that dialing direct to Israel via Verizon was $5.00 a minute plus tax without an "international calling plan".

When my wife was in Amsterdam, Orange had a special service which you entered a code and the number you wanted to call in Israel and it called you back. That was 7 NIS a minute, far cheaper than just dialing direct as a roamer.

Skype is around $15 a month for 10,000 minutes to the US and Israel and a US incoming number. Considering the original poster said that SKYPE call quality was not good enough for his purposes, $31 is not that expensive. If he kept it up and used it here too, it would IMHO be worth it.

It's like the old joke:
        "How much is that item?"
        "$31"
        "$31! the store across the street sells them for $29" :
        "Go buy it from them."
        "They are out of them".
        "When I am out of them, they are $25."

SKYPE is cheap and easy to use, but only if it works for you. Also have you ever tried to get support from SKYPE?

Geoff.
-- geoffrey mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Jerusalem Israel geoffreymendel...@gmail.com