On May 20, 2009, at 5:13 PM, sammy ominsky wrote:

Thanks for the plug, but I don't think we're what he would consider "cheap". Unlimited calling to the US and Israel would be $31/month, with a DID in either the US or Israel (077 or 072). That's fine for a landline replacement, or if he's staying abroad, but for occasional use from a wifi phone, it's more than I'd want to pay.

Just to follow up my previous reply, I was nosing around the Skype site to see if they added incoming Israeli numbers. They have not, but they changed their prices.

Their "world" package, which used to include a free US (or other choice, but not Israel) is E10.29 including VAT but it no longer includes an incoming number. Incoming numbers are E17.25 for 3 months, but you get a 50% discount with a subscription. So that's E13.17 or $18.44 a month, assuming that they do charge VAT.

Back when it was E5 a month including an incoming number, it was worth getting if you had a family member visiting a country. You get it for a month, and then cancel when they got back. I expect a lot of people did exactly that, which is why they raised the price and made it a 3 month minimum if you want an incoming number.

Geoff.

--
geoffrey mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Jerusalem Israel geoffreymendel...@gmail.com