On May 24, 2009, at 8:56 AM, Guy Corem wrote:

I don't really care regarding the form factor and electric power.
On second thought: preferably small with integrated power supply...

Regarding processing power:
My goal is to create a demo / POC of 3G to WiFi router.

Before you waste your time and money, there are some on the market. It would behoove you to develop a competitive anlysis and perform an exhaustive patent search. I forget the name, but when I asked about it on this list, someone pointed me to one sold in Israel.

So not only are you not the first one to publicly ask, which kills patent priority, you are not the first to actually do it, which IMHO makes it not worth it unless you want to do it for fun or pro-bono (for the public good).

I'll need to install two or three 3G modems on the USB ports.
I've managed to use Sierre Wireless Compass 885 on Ubuntu 9.04 without any problems, so it will be nice if the SBC could support Ubuntu.

Wow, something that actually runs on Ubuntu. :-) Last night I had to remove and re-install X because one of my Ubuntu systems decided it no longer supported my video card and monitor.

I forgot Ethernet (preferably 1 GbE) in the original requirements list.

I would start out looking at WiFi routers. EDIMAX makes one that has 802.11g, 2 USB ports, is ARM based, 2 ethernet ports (one with a 4 port hub), small and runs on a five volt single supply. BUG has them on their website for under 300 NIS.

If it runs Linux (many EDIMAX products do), you have exactly what you need for a POC. If it doesn't you would have to go beyond just looking at a few local store's websites.

Geoff.
--
geoffrey mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Jerusalem Israel geoffreymendel...@gmail.com