On Jun 11, 2012, at 3:25 PM, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
Why would you need a data link from them? You could use their data link, but the jitter is not really optimal. I suppose your office already has
a decent ADSL or whatever data link. Why bother?

I would not. What I was interested in, which seems like a bad idea financially, was to route all of my families phone calls while at home over the asterisk system and have use the cellular modem as the way of sending VOICE data (not VoIP) to take advantage of the cheap cellular VOICE plan.

It makes no sense in the end because if we all have unlimited cellular plans, except for our fax machine, we might as well make all of our calls using our cell phones. For the few calls we would make using the asterisk system, it's cheaper to pay by the minute with a retail VoIP provider.

Their (both Golan and Hot) data plan has no good guarantees once you
pass the 3GB / month. I would not rely on them for anything serious.

It wasn't for data.

The point is that some of the netsticks allow you to make voice calls with them, though most don't. These asterisk drivers use them as computer controlled cellphones with USB (or bluetooth) digital audio input and output.

Even in Israel, all of the modems sold are 2 or 3 generations ahead of
the software and google has not been helpful with information about
backwards compatibility.

I normally have had good luck with using them with relatively recent
kernels.

Not the point. Beyond the kernel drivers you need asterisk to support them as Voice devices.

So far I have been able to use Ubuntu 12.04 and throw all sorts of dongles at it. The kernel drivers support them and network manager connects with the easily.

From what I can see, the asterisk drivers are much more limited.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM/KBUH7245/KBUW5379
To put it in terms everyone understands, the US debt is over 275 Facebooks.