Oleg Goldshmidt wrote:

All of the above is probably negligible compared to two important
arguments that have already been mentioned: 1) as a home appliance
there are better, more economical, and - most importantly! - quieter
solutions for a modest price; 2) tinkering with such a heterogeneous
system will yield invaluable experience, especially in terms of never
trying anything like this for anything important.

I want to point out that disk failure statistics may be less useful than one would think. The majority of hard disks came from a factory in Thailand which was wiped out by a flood about 2-3 years ago.

This caused a large rise in the price of disks, and the reamining manufacturers scrambling to produce more disks from existing factories at lower prices.

The price of hard disks has yet to be as low as it was.

Since those "new" disks have not been around long enough for long term failure statistics, I would be careful using the old ones.

BTW, in an unrelated discussion somewhere else two days ago, several professional sysadmins I know recommended OpenIndiana (an open source fork of Solaris) and ZFS for home NAS's.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM/KBUH7245/KBUW5379
"Owning a smartphone: Technology's equivalent to learning to play