The customer/the ISP can purchase specialized firewalls to defend against
DOS/DDOS attacks.

The subject of the attack can try to approach the local police and in some
cases they will work on taking down the botnet, see for instance Dutch
police, FBI and other European forces spending time on these cases.

But unless your friend shows that he is taking serious steps to prevent
this type of thing in the future no ISP has to allow him onto their
network, there are ISPs that specialize in hosting sites that are prone to
being attacked but the price is obviously accordingly.

Regards,
Eliyahu - אליהו