On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 6:33 PM, Nadav Har'El <n...@math.technion.ac.il>wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 23, 2013, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote about "Re: Cloud Backup":
> >    - You can use S3, but then the rsync could be problematic, since there
> >    is no rsync "server" on the other side.
>
> This is the part I'd need to code - run some sort of server process on
> EC2. I agree that it would be easier to do this with EBS, so I don't
> think I'll actually want to use S3 here (on an unrelated note, I do have
> a pretty good plan on how to do incremental backup to S3 without any
> server-side software, i.e., no code running on EC2 at all, but doing
> this will be more complicated than assuming I can run code on EC2).
>
> >    - Amazon EBS is nice, but the Micro instance to use it with EBSis free
> >    based on your usage. I used the free Micro instance as a slave DNS and
> >    after 2 months I had to pay for it since my free usage has been
> somehow
> >    finished.
>
> The difference here is that while DNS has to be always on - so it costs
> you 2 cents an hour for the whole month - my backup isn't always on, I
> can only turn it on when I want to back up, and then it will cost me 2
> cents for a full hour (you can't pay for less than an hour). If I run it

Google lets you pay for a minimal time of 15 minutes.
ProfitBricks charges by 3 minute chunks.

> once every day and assuming the increments will rarely take more than an
> hour to send, this amounts to 60 cents a month, which is perfectly
> acceptable.

You are neglecting the most important cost: of data transfer. See "To Cloud
Or Not To Cloud? Musings On Costs and Viability."
by Yao Chen , Radu Sion

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.174.8806

> >    - You can use several scripts that you can find on Google to rsync
> with
> >    Dropbox.
>
> I wonder how this can work without rsync support on the server side, but
> thanks, I'll look.
>
> --
> Nadav Har'El                        |      Saturday, Feb 23 2013, 14 Adar
> 5773
> n...@math.technion.ac.il
> Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |Lottery: A tax on people who are bad
> at
> http://nadav.harel.org.il           |math.

Orna Agmon Ben-Yehuda.
http://ladypine.org