> On Sat, Oct 5, 2013 at 6:47 AM, Steve G. <word...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am getting to a point that, between all the old computers I still own or
> use, the orphan hard drives from abandoned systems, and the dual boot
> laptops, I have a storage nightmare. I have photos, videos, articles,
> music, everywhere, and it is getting to the point that I can't access files
> because I don't know where they are or were, or because they are on drive
> that are no longer in use.
>
> So I am thinking, maybe I should get an external network drive, or raid,
> or NAS, and use it to consolidate my drive and keep all my files in one
> place from now onward.
>
> Any suggestions of devices, or where to look for them?
>
> Here is what I think it should look like:
>
> - OS agnostic - should play well with Linux, MacOS, Win7 or 8 (for
> future). If I can access it from tablets or smart phones (iOS or Android),
> even better.
>
> - if it can handle IDE drives it would be awesome - all my old drives are
> IDE , and it would be nice to continue using them.
>
> If not, I need a solution to connect the older drives - at least so I can
> transfer the data without taking apart an older computer and physically
> mounting each drive.
>
> - 2 drives (maybe more?)
>
> - accessible by both wired and wireless connections, if possible
>
> - I assume I would have to connect to the device directly to set up the
> IP, and from then on manage it remotely. If I can set the IP address
> without connecting (I remember headless servers that let you set the IP
> with a toggle on the device) life would be so much easier.
>
> - cheaper than dirt, or at least double digits, not triple (in dollars)
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. What do I do if my wireless router has two IP networks, one for the
> wired computers and the other for the wireless (a real situation and also a
> real pain in the ass - wired computers and laptops could not reach one
> another)?
>
> 2. Is there a simple way - or any way - to connect to the drive from
> several networks (because the cell phones have a different IP address, and
> also the wired and wireless devices might have separate IP addresses)?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Z.

​You can build your own NAS server from a old PC parts and run FreeNAS on
it.

as for IDE adapter you can buy one of this cheap adapter
 -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-to-IDE-SATA-2-5-3-5-Hard-Drive-Disk-HDD-Converter-Adapter-Cable-/290760774098?pt=US_Drive_Cables_dapters&hash=item43b2b151d2
​​
but from experience - they tend to over heat and die - so i spend few more
dollars a bought the "dock station" version and i use my portable drive
transformer with it.
 -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-3-5-2-5-IDE-SATA-HDD-Dual-Docking-Station-HUB-AC-Adapter-USB-Cable-/300907274121?pt=US_Drive_Enclosures_Docks&hash=item460f789f89

no so long ago i was looking to build a NAS server for my self and I
compiled a list of some hardware parts i like to buy for this,
maybe it will help you, my total was over 2000 NIS (~600$), but you can
scale down the spec to fit your budget and needs.

​

580 x1 CASE         - Antec P280
>     # support for 6 drives with easy access

300 x1 CPU          - Intel Dual Core G2030 Ivy Bridge Box

390 x1 Motherboard  - ASRock H77M

425 x1 Memory       - Kit > Kingston 8GB DDR3 1600MHz KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX

> # check recommendation for raid - no "GREEN" drives

330 x3 DRIVES       - Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB SATA3 / SATA2

​

--
*Rabin*