That it would be reasonable to interact with it with open source tools or
at least from open source OS, and that I would be able to purchase hardware
from multiple vendors.
It's not strictly requires an open protocol, but it's a good approximation.
Read what I need to reasonably work with KNX, it's not just the wire
protocol.