On Tue, May 02, 2017 at 09:48:26PM +0100, Sean Young wrote:
>On Tue, May 02, 2017 at 08:53:02PM +0200, David Härdeman wrote:

>> >I did test this patch and I just redid the tests, both with rc-loopback
>> >and with a mceusb receiver. I'm seeing scancodes on the input device as
>> >well as pulse-space readings on the lirc device in both tests.
>> >
>> >I did the tests with only this patch applied and the lirc-use-after-free
>> >(v3). What hardware did you test with?
>> >
>> >Meanwhile, I'll try rebasing my patches to the latest version of the
>> >media-master git tree and test again.
>>
>> I rebased the patches onto media-master (commit
>> 3622d3e77ecef090b5111e3c5423313f11711dfa) and tested again. I still
>> can't reproduce the problems you're having :/
>
>The protocol is not set properly. In rc_prepare_rx_device(),
>dev->change_protocol() is call if not null. At this point it still is
>null, since it will only be set up in ir_raw_event_prepare(), which
>is called afterwards.

Ah, good catch. Since ir_raw_event_prepare() only does a kmalloc() and
sets the change_protocol pointer it should be fine to call
ir_raw_event_prepare() before rc_prepare_rx_device(). I'll prepare a v2
of the patch.

>Presumably you have udev set up to execute ir-keytable, which sets the
>protocol up (again).

Well, kind of. In the automated testing I use rc-loopback which has the
"rc-empty" keytable so it doesn't set the protocols. In my manual
testing I used mceusb with a NEC remote so I anyway needed to set the
protocols manually and I missed the fact that "[rc-6]" was no longer set
in sysfs.

>There is another problem with your patches, you've introduced a race
>condition. When device_add() is called, the protocol is not set up yet.
>So anyone reading the protocols sysfs attribute early enough will get
>false information. Is it not possible to make sure that it is all setup
>correctly at the point of device_add()?

Isn't this the same problem? If dev->change_protocol() isn't NULL when
rc_prepare_rx_device() is called then the protocol will be set up (i.e.
dev->enabled_protcols will be set to the right value). Or did I
misunderstand you?

--
David Härdeman