On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 10:44:58AM +0200, David Härdeman wrote:
> >This can be implemented without breaking userspace.
>
> How?

The current keymaps we have do not specify the protocol variant, only
the protocol (rc6 vs rc6-mce). So to support this, we have to be able
to specify multiple protocols at the same time. So I think the protocol
should be a bitmask.

Also, in your example you re-used RC_TYPE_OTHER to match any protocol;
I don't think that is a good solution since there are already keymaps
which use other.

So if we have an "struct rc_scancode" which looks like:

struct rc_scancode {
        u64 protocol;
        u64 scancode;
};

Then if the keymap protocol is rc6, ir-keytable should set the protocol
to RC_BIT_RC6_0 | RC_BIT_RC6_6A_20 | RC_BIT_RC6_6A_24 | RC_BIT_RC6_6A_32
 | RC_BIT_RC6_MCE.

If the old ioctl is used, then the protocol should be set to RC_BIT_ALL.

I can't think of anything what would break with this scheme.

Thanks
Sean