On Mon, 2018-10-01 at 08:42 -0400, Nicolas Dufresne wrote:
> Hello Hans,
>
> Le lundi 01 octobre 2018 à 10:43 +0200, Hans Verkuil a écrit :
> > It turns out that we have both JPEG and Motion-JPEG pixel formats defined.
> >
> > Furthermore, some drivers support one, some the other and some both.
> >
> > These pixelformats both mean the same.
> >
> > I propose that we settle on JPEG (since it seems to be used most often) and
> > add JPEG support to those drivers that currently only use MJPEG.
>
> Thanks for looking into this. As per GStreamer code, I see 3 alias for
> JPEG. V4L2_PIX_FMT_MJPEG/JPEG/PJPG. I don't know the context, this code
> was written before I knew GStreamer existed. It's possible there is a
> subtle difference, I have never looked at it, but clearly all our JPEG
> decoder handle these as being the same.
>
> https://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-plugins-good/tree/sys/v4l2/gstv4l2object.c#n956

To add more data points on the gstreamer side, there's really no difference
between gstreamer's types image/jpeg and video/x-jpeg.

Notably, jpegdec element just stuffs a huffman table if one is missing,
for any jpeg:

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-plugins-good/tree/ext/jpeg/gstjpegdec.c#n584