Hi All,

On Mon, 1 Oct 2018 at 17:32, Ezequiel Garcia <ezequ...@collabora.com> wrote:

> Hi Hans,
>
> Thanks for looking into. I remember MJPEG vs. JPEG being a source
> of confusion for me a few years ago, so clarification is greatly
> welcome :-)
>
> On Mon, 2018-10-01 at 15:03 +0300, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> > Hi Hans,

> > > I'm not aware of any difference. If there is one, then it is certainly not
> > > documented.
> >
> > What I can tell for sure is that many UVC devices don't include Huffman
> > tables
> > in their JPEG headers.
> >
> > > Ezequiel, since you've been working with this recently, do you know
> > > anything
> > > about this?
> >

> JPEG frames must include huffman and quantization tables, as per the standard.
>
> AFAIK, there's no MJPEG specification per-se and vendors specify its own
> way of conveying a Motion JPEG stream.

There is the specfication for MJPEG in Quicktime containers, which
defines the MJPEG-A and MJPEG-B variants [1].
MJPEG-B is not a concatenation of JPEG frames as the framing is
different, so can't really be combined into V4L2_PIX_FMT_JPEG.
Have people encountered devices that produce MJPEG-A or MJPEG-B via
V4L2? I haven't, but I have been forced to support both variants on
decode.

On that thought, whilst capture devices generally don't care, is there
a need to differentiate for M2M codec devices which can support
encoding the variants? Or likewise on M2M decoders that support only
JPEG, how do they tell userspace that they don't support MJPEG-A or
MJPEG-B?

  Dave

[1] https://developer.apple.com/standards/qtff-2001.pdf