On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 2:06 PM, HoP <jpetr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Manu,
>
> 2010/1/14 Manu Abraham <abraham.m...@gmail.com>:
>> Well, the SAA716x is only the PCI Express interface. There is no video
>> capture involved in there with the STi7109. It is a full fledged DVB
>> STB SOC.
>>
>> OSD is handled by the STi7109 on that STB.
>> http://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/bd/11660/sti7109.pdf
>>
>> Though it is not complete, that driver, it still does handle it,
>> through the firmware interface. These are the kind of devices that you
>> find on a DVB STB, i must say.
>>
>> On a DVB STB, what happens is that you load a vendor specific firmware
>> on the SOC. The SOC is just issued the firmware commands, that's how a
>> STB works in principle. A DVB STB can be considered to have 2 outputs,
>> ie if you use it as a PC card, you can output the whole thing to your
>> PC monitor, or output it to a TV set. But in the case of the STB, you
>> have a TV output alone.
>>

> I never know about use of stb7109 in any PCI card. It is surprise
> to me. Interesting what firmware is loaded to stb7109. Is it STM's
> proprietary os21 or even linux?

I don't know what is loaded exactly, right now. It is something
proprietary from Technotrend.

I guess it could be OS21 at the moment, couldn't be WinCE. Although
this could change any time, as we can load Linux also on it some time
in the future ;-)

The card is a Technotrend TT S2-6400 Premium Full Fledged card, with a
STi7109, STV0900 Dual DVB-S2 demodulator, HDMI outputs, SPDIF etc. The
STi7109 SOC being so large and with so many features, it's a shame to
call it a card, maybe it should be called a STB or a PC.  A neat and
well built device though, even though the hardware is very much in
it's initial stages.

Regards,
Manu